Road bikers suck aka "stay classy San Diego"

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by BonsaiNut, Apr 4, 2016.

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I'm just gonna vent to get this off my chest...

This Saturday my daughter wanted to take my wife and I down to the Palomar Observatory to show us where they had gone for their high school field trip. Takes about 1.5 hours to get there, but the last half hour is a nice winding climb through forest, so we were expecting a nice relaxing drive.

Just so happens that this road is either REALLY popular with road bikers, or that there was a special event going on. At any rate, the whole drive up, there were roadies toiling up the hill on the narrow road. As a fellow biker I was giving them tons of room when I passed, and wasn't going that fast anyway; plus it gave us a topic of conversation as we discussed interesting people (like the guy on the mountain bike with the fatty tires showing everyone how it was DONE!)

We got up to the observatory and parked the car, and then started up the sidewalk from the visitor center to the observatory proper (a walk of perhaps 200 yards). All the sudden we hear "coming through, coming through!" and we have to hop off the sidewalk because four guys on road bikes decided they were going to ride from the parking lot up to observatory on the walk. We were a little upset, considering there were signs everywhere that said "WALK YOUR BIKES" so I said, "hey you know you aren't supposed to ride your bikes here". That elicited a loud "F@ck YOU!" as they continued down the walk, so I replied with a "No, F@ck you!" back at them (mistake).

Well we walk for a few more minutes, and get to the observatory, and there are the four bikers waiting for us. As we get close to the doors, one of the guys comes up to me, gets in my face and starts repeating "hey, how's it going? hey, how's it going?" I look at him and say "what the F@ck is your problem?" He replies "no problem, I'm just asking you how it's going".

At this point things are starting to get a little heated, so my wife mistakenly jumps in and says "look it isn't an IQ test - there are signs everywhere saying walk your bike and you shouldn't be pushing pedestrians off the sidewalks." Classy road biker #2 replies "hey why don't you shut up and lose some weight."

I just looked at them for a moment and said "you know what? You dicks are the guys who give road bikers a bad name." At this point we were walking away and a tour guide from the observatory (who may have observed what was going on) walked up to them and asked them to walk their bikes. We proceeded into the observatory, but to be honest, the whole event really took some of the fun out of our visit.

Nothing like a 35 year-old 6'5" dude in spandex with raging endorphins deciding he is going to mix it up with a small family on a day trip.

DangerDirtyD, herzalot, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    That sucks....but it could have happened the same with a family on a beach cruiser.

Entitled assholes are entitled assholes.....regardless of the situation.

LLPoolJ, Mikie, tortoise and 4 others like this.
  3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I hate when I lose my temper. I can honestly say there has never been an instance when I have lost my temper where I look back in retrospect and think it was the right thing to do...

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  4. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    Were they wearing "Shop Kits"?

herzalot, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Exactly.....a friendly call to the shop of said "kit" to let them know how outstanding they are being represented could be a good thing.

herzalot, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  6. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Don't beat yourself up Greg, we're human and sometimes these situations get the best of us.

Learn from it, come up w a good comeback should this happen again bc it will.

Faust29, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    F those dicks. Sooner or later they're gonna go up against the wrong person. That'll be karma time.

I don't think you made any mistakes, Greg. Props to your wife for pointing out what imbeciles they were.

herzalot, Fijirob, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    It's true, this time the bad guys were on road bikes. I also agree with @ridinrox ...
    Yeah, you blew it on the respond in kind Greg, welcome to the human race :). I always get down on myself when I do that. But, I work hard at learning and understanding when I feel my heart rate go up and try to stop it before it gets out of control.

Even still, I lost it with "Mike" the Golden Eagle Trail Sanitizer in front of other imtbtrails members. I felt really embarrassed for quite sometime afterwards. They were kind to me and shared how much they understood I am passionate about our trails.
    So we all take turns from time to time. Let it go brother. It's sounds as if those guys could never be turned to the light! Let alone, be nice guys...;)

ridinrox, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  9. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Here's a story...

I had finished my ride at a local open space, and I pull into the parking lot. I'm getting ready to shed my gear and I hear a guy screaming at a passing roadie... about wearing a helmet. Several expletives and degrading language... and then he begins his ranting, to his female mountain biking partner. Screaming at the top of his lungs, he's telling this poor woman how that guy was an arse hole, f'ing douche, etc... and goes on and on... after about 5 minutes of listening to this from the far end of the parking lot, I made the mistake of intervening.

I rode over and asked the guy to chill... and he was harshing the post ride mellow. He then went off on why the roadie was a fool... blah blah blah. I asked him why he was taking it out on her, and that's when it got interesting. He got all high and mighty, told me to mind my own business and made a threatening posture... I asked him if he really wanted to beat me up over some roadie not wearing a helmet.

In the end, I rode away... and he finally calmed down (from a 10 to an 8), I packed up and left.

My assessment was that spandex wearing mountain bikers who clearly spend another 8 to 10 hours pumping themselves in gym, should probably lay off the steroids before frequenting public places.

So, sadly, it's not just roadies that can be dicks.

10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I used to have enough daily practice defusing situations and delivering bad news that it was second nature... Stick to only the facts, stay calm and keep it simple. Don't give any mental wiggle room...

Lately, I'm turning into a cranky old bastard. Screw bad behavior! Point it out and don't let it slide.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Damn you kids.....get off my lawn. :mad::mad::mad:

12. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike: