Rim trail Bomb squad

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Tom the Bomb, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    The Bomb Squad hits the Rim trail
    So Sonny calls me and says they are setting up a shuttle to hit the dark side off Wilson on Friday. Remembering what Ross had mentioned about The Rim trail being cleaned up, this sounded like the perfect opportunity to hit it . None of the guys had ridden this trail so new dirt for all of them. It had been about 6 years the last time I had ridden it. Sonny set up the shuttle and I would meet them at the top since I would be climbing. As I ponder the pain I am about to endure I figure I really should share some of it with another buddy. I searched through the list of Bomb Squad crew, sent out a group text hoping to get a sucker, uh buddy, to share in the pain of climbing Manzanita to the Toll road. Every time I climb that trail I swear I will never do it again but seeing how the weekend is supposed to be filled with rain and it is the quickest way to the top, this would be a good way to get my weekend epic ride in . Tim who lives in the Pasadena area confirms and Todd is a maybe. Todd must have gotten the word on Manzanita cause I never heard back from him. I prep Tim on what Manzanita is all about, he agrees and we meet at 8:30 at Chantry. We climb the warmup pavement to Upper Winter Creek and we find that the testy techy section at the entrance is totally sanitized! No rocks, no step-ups, just a couple little humps where the steps used to be. What a bummer! This was always a fun way to get pumped for what was ahead. Guess the hikers did not enjoy it as much as I. We continue up the trail through the trees , maneuver through all the fun little rollers, rocks and roots and come to the waterfall drop. I ask if Tim if he knows what is ahead and he says oh ya. I drop it first and then Tim follows without a bobble. Good job Tim! I have seen many an endo and bail out at that spot but not today. A few minutes later we are at Manzanita. Let the pain begin. The last time I climbed this trail it was with Doug the Hill^billy and Mikie, the three of us sparring back and forth trying to keep up with the Rossage back about 7 months ago when we did the back side. That ride was awesome too!
    Around the half way point after rounding a heart pounding switchback I am slumped over the handle bars trying to get air and do not see Tim. A few minutes later he cranks up and informs me he bashed a pedal trying to get over one of the many step ups and catapulted off the edge! I noticed his neck and back were smeared with dirt and pine needles, glad he was ok. After about an hour and 15 minutes of punch you in the gut climbing we top out at the bench where the Mt. Wilson trail intersects. What a mutha of a climb! Steep, loose, tight switchbacks with quite a few root and rock lifts to boot! The nice part about this trail is it is just beautiful in there. The whole trail is under a canopy of huge trees that are so dense you can barely see the sky. Reminds me of riding in Oregon and Washington. Up the short rocky part of the Mt. Wilson trail we roll out on the toll road and finish the climb up to the Observatory. We had now climbed into a cloud, the temp had dropped to about 45 deg. at this point and the visibility was about 30 feet, we finally meet up with Sonny, Frenchy ( this guy has the coolest accent) Erik, Joe, Kurt and Dave . A quick bite to eat, a little breather, I change into a dry thermal, jersey and throw on my wind breaker vest (I am so smart) and we hit the Rim trail.
    Wow just awesome! Very tight sketchy single track clinging to the side of the cliffy mountainside with many tricky twists and turns where rock outcroppings jutting out from the mountain are trying to nudge you over the edge! Definitely not your grammas basic hiking trail. We bobbed, weaved and swerved through the lush vegetation and popped out 3.5 miles later at Newcomb Pass, just a wonderful section of trail. We then dive in to the Gabrielino trail all 8 of us whooppin , bobbing and railing it all the way down to the bottom, up and over the boulder roll and onto the fire road that takes us back up to the parking lot. We finished with nary a scratch and eyes wide open sure to leave a lasting memory for many mtb dreams to come.

If you have not done the Rim trail it is back and better than ever. Thanks to Hans at OTB and all who have brought it back to life after the fires.
    There is nothing like a great trail, and good friends to share it with. You rock Tim! Thanks for sharing the pain and euphoria with me!
    TTB

group2.jpg

dave2.jpg

Frenchy.jpg

Nothin like a good dh to make you forget about the pain!.jpg

Sonny and Erik.jpg

TTB.jpg

Tim1.jpg

sonny.jpg

Kurt's face says it all!.jpg

Joe1.jpg

Erik 2.jpg

Dave1.jpg

Tim.jpg

on the rim.jpg

Kurt and Eric.jpg

Joe.jpg

guess who.jpg

It is all good.jpg

in the clouds.jpg

Frenchy1.jpg

Erik.jpg

Dave.jpg

Kurt.jpg

group shot.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Good job guys! A tough but we'll worth it ride.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    That Ride Report Rocked! I hate you guys! :thumbup:

4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Yea...Me too! Awesome photos from the top!

Mikie likes this.
  5. tim0s002

tim0s002 Newbie

Name:
    tim
    Thanks Tom for the invite to an awesome ride. Yea that manzanita death march was no joke, I was gasping for air. I was so relieved when we got to the top, met a great group of riders and went down rim trail. Rim was pretty scary for me, sketchy, loose, and narrow but very beautiful up there. The down hill and the rest of the experience (I especially liked Sturettevant trail) was definitely worth that climb. Thanks to all the riders (Sunny, Joe, Dan, Erik, Dave, Frenchy, and Tom) for waiting on me and being patient.

Mikie likes this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    That was a large wall of text, and it scared me, so I haven't read it yet. I will. I love the picture of all the guys in a line on the trail. Looks like fun and I am totally jealous. Thanks for sharing!

Tell Frenchy that a full face with glasses is a major fashion faux pas EVEN IF the glasses match the helmet and bike. Goggles only with FF please. :wink: :wave:

Mikie likes this.
  7. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Great report T-Bomb!
    Looks like I missed out on a great ride. I gotta do this trail next time!

Mikie likes this.
  8. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Braaaah I thought I was the only one who looked at the pictures first.

Ya Mark awesome!

Mikie likes this.
  9. FatTigerSonny

FatTigerSonny Newbie

Name:
    Sonny
    Well done Tom with the ride report and pictures. Kudos to you and Tim for climbing Manzanita. Looking forward to more of these rides.

10. FatTigerSonny

FatTigerSonny Newbie

Name:
    Sonny
    BTW, I thought that I was the only one that was leaning towards the mountain side all the way down the trail.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    OK, now I read it. Well-written, but I won't offer a literary analysis becuase that was outlawed a couple of threads ago. Still, a great descriptor of the grit and glory.

And now I can say - I hate you. You and your super awesome trails. :mrgreen:

Nice job!

TTB - were you doing a Michael Jackson impression or did your dryer eat one of your gloves? And in the gloomy weather I would have expected you to be in some day-glo colors. At least your bandana matched your ensemble - as it always does! :thumbup:

12. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Nice report Tom! That's a ride I won't ever forget, we rode some pretty raw back country when we did it, in addition to the crazy climb! Gotta wonder why that wouldn't be a sweet trail to ride down instead, or in addition to riding up?

13. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    nice !!! and the weather look cold but enjoyable ! one of these days.... I'll be there with yous.

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Ho, man, that looks great. Jeez, Tom, I hope you repeat this one before I'm too old.

Thanks for the reportage!

15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    That was a fun read!

It's been said, but I'm jealous of the trails you northeners have! Beautiful country...

16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Just a short 4 miles off the north east side of Mt Wilson, the Rim trail will show you how exposed and remote the ANF can be. All in just a few miles from the LA sprawl.
    The Rim trail, suffered by many, endured by most....a real test of skill, another great ride....one of my favorites.

17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Somebody docent this thing soon, eh? TIA!

18. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Haaaha You don't miss a trick! That's my shifter hand, need speed in that hand no restrictions. Saving the eye popper for a clear day when I can blind ya!!!!!

19. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    This ride was a little different we did not do the back side. From Wilson we went straight out the rim to the gabe downhill to Chantry. I would like to descend Manzanita too but think it would be a little short.

20. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    For sure Mike! Will definitely do this a gain.

21. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Ya hairball exposure, but beautiful!

22. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Craig
    As always Tom, nice ride report!