Riding unauthorized trails at CHSP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derkderkall, Jun 17, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    they shared these flyers which are apparently posted around the park.

Screenshot_20180617-132609.png

Luis, Cyclotourist, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Over at eMpTyBeeR, riders local to that area are saying it's fake and that it's been posted before.

3. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    This came straight from the state parks social media account.

"
    By now many of you have seen this flyer posted around the park.
    We would like to clarify that this is an official State Park flyer.
    Please do not remove or vandalize these posters.

mountaingirl sara and mtnbikej like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Maybe the others that were posted in the past were official, too.

Those trying to invalidate the posting are those who want the illegal trails to remain.

6. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Hordes of self-absorbed walkers comb the fields for poppy selfies in the spring, people camp near South Ridge, and I see dogs there almost every time I go; but somehow riders using trails that have been their for years are the problem?
    The one thing I don't see in any of this is a list of what is off limits. Are they talking about folks poaching North Ridge, or people riding stuff that isn't consistently marked, (Easy Street only had no bikes signage on the south side the first few times I was there, and North Ridge signage was inconsistent. Sycamore is presumably legal, but has no signage that I've ever seen.) Is this the abandoned-by-its-parent-group Trails for Everyone, (Easily mistakable with other full access trails.) Or is this something as simple as the unmarked singletrack alongside the paved roads?

7. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    There has been illegal trails in CHSP for at least 25 years. I was riding them in the early 90's. And, I still occasionally ride the same trails now in 2018. I think the problem is that there have been new ST trails cut in the past year or so. I can think of 3 that have been cut since S.O. burned down. Some of the locals @ SO moved over to CHSP while SO was closed cause of the fire. That is when these new trails got cut in. I'm thinking it is mainly these new trails.

Back in the early 90's CHSP was my go to several times a week. My buddies and I cut about a half dozen ST trails in the park, most of which were very hard to find. You couldn't find them by just riding along a legal trail. Anyway, I stopped pedaling for about 20 years. When I went back to CHSP for the first time, I could only find one trail that we cut back then. All the others have been reclaimed by the landscape. OR, I just don't remember where they were. Back then it wasn't such a big deal to create new trails. Very few MTB'ers were using the park back then, compared to today.

kazlx, mtnbikej and Grassblade23 like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?