Riding HUBtrails in Idyllwild

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fanatic, Oct 23, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL
    I want to plan a trip up to Idyllwild and ride the HUBtrail system up there. I got a KML file off MountainBikeBill's website. Has anyone ridden up there?

I want to take my 11 year old, so I want something that is flowy and not too technical. Maybe climb some fireroads and descend singletrack.

Thanks for any advice.

HubTrailsMap-MBB-2.0.jpg

Mikie, herzalot, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Never been there but it's on my bucket list.

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I was guided there 3x and have zero incentive to return other than to do Planet X. No signage, many sandy surfaces, minimal DH payoff; mini gnome trails that make you wish you were 12 inches tall. Can't think of a more over-rated trail system. I don't know what makes riders like it so much – probably the gorgeous area, maybe some have never seen a pine tree. I love the area and have spent a lot of time there, but this "hub" system was just a bunch of opportunists putting in mediocre Sh!t because they could get away with it.

I'd park at the marked TH for Ramona Trail just E of Mountain Center on 74, and head up the trail and turn around whenever. At least you'll know where TF you are and what you're getting into with your kid.

kioti, Evoracer, Mikie and 11 others like this.
  4. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Thank you for the reply. That is what I was wondering. I can carry a GPS, but I would rather work with something that is marked well. I will post up if we head that way. Big Bear is the same distance, so I might head up that way and see what we can find.

kioti, Mikie, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Maybe we should be talking about the other side of the range. I hear they gotta good shuttle run to do over there. :whistling:

6. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Every saturday the Hub bike store has a group ride that is very good. Check with the store on the time, usually 8 or 9am. Great trails, not marked, and quite a network.

Mikie, herzalot and Fanatic like this.
  7. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Couldn't disagree more, unless you like more chunky downhill.

http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/idyllwild-some-of-the-best-in-socal.1365/

Mikie, Cyclotourist and UPSed like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
  9. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    I've been riding the Hub trails for years. A GPS track won't do you much good. There are too many trails in the spaghetti bowl. I still get "lost" on occasion and I still find new trails here and there.

An old KML from MTB Bill is useless. I recommend a guide to have fun the first time there. I don't mean to be negative, but I've been there, done that. The place rewards experience.

Ramona Trail is fun, if you can take the climbing. I rode up Ramona earlier this year for the first time. It's not too bad. Took me about the same amount of time to the top as the fire road. The round trip mileage ends up being pretty low though, so I did it a second time but rode the fire road just to compare.

You might consider Skypark Bike Park near Lake Arrowhead. Best bang for your climbing buck. Very flowy, fun trails. A bit pricey $ wise though.

kioti, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  10. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    I decided to do Aliso Woods on Wednesday. We will do Coyote Trail to Dripping cave and then try to clear a few of the connectors. My son has never been there, so it should be a good time.

I think I will wait on the hub for a group ride with the bike shop. That sounds like a better idea.

kioti, mike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  11. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    We hit Woods Canyon and Sheep Hills. The heat was amazing, but we managed to have a great time.

BB186FE3-79DE-41BA-9B48-31B1D77781B5.jpeg DA36A14B-24BA-47B5-8230-34144E1A29C3.jpeg

12. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    can you talk about where Sheep Hills is located? Near Aliso?

13. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Talbert Regional Park, just off SART

kioti and Fanatic like this.
  14. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    This link might work:

https://goo.gl/maps/c2f1UNtiWWT2 Sheep Hills Bmx Park
    92627, 1298 Victoria St, Costa Mesa, CA 92627

Sheep Hills is a lot of fun. I like watching the local pros. Everyone has been nice to my kids. The homeless scene is a little discouraging.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?