Rider down on Santiago Canyon

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by pperrelle, Sep 28, 2017.

1. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    bvader, TwoWheel Eric, UPSed and 7 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    herzalot, bvader, pperrelle and 6 others like this.
  3. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Such a shame. My heart goes out to their family and friends

I commute on Santiago canyon and the stuff I see! It's a dangerous road.
    This morning had a car pass me on the right in the bike lane. I thank God no one was there with a bike, they never would have seen them.
    And older Ford taurus in faded red. Total f'in d'bag.

This type of behavior is daily on the canyon road. So be careful and ride as far right as possible!

4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    What the hell? I can't even imagine this. I don't road bike for a lot of reasons - almost all of which involve other vehicles. But it sounds like this guy just went down... and died?

How terrible... Makes me so sad.

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Fuuuuuu.......... That sucks in every way.

Peace to the family. :(

Faust29 and Rumpled like this.
  6. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Ride in peace fellow rider....

Faust29, Rumpled and Cyclotourist like this.
  7. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2003 Giant Rainier
    Totally sucks of course. This is one we can't blame on a car driver. Apparently just a bad crash.
    The pics in the Register of riders in the group are just sad, you can see that they are really bothered by what happened.
    Just sad.

8. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    This is a comment from "Biking in LA":

Tim Grange
    September 28, 2017 at 4:38 pm
    John Smith was a great rider & even better man! Those are all my friends standing around him in the photos from the OC Register article. The thing that scares the hell out of me about this one, was that there was nothing he could have done. If it happened to any of us, the same outcome could occur. This was just a front tire blow out, but at a high speed, slightly left hand curve. Nobody could have pulled that one off. Their Garmins read 40 mph at the time of the accident. John, like the rest of us, loved cycling and was trying to get a workout in before work. John, you will be missed. Godspeed.

RIP John

9. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Comments after the OC Register article are all across the board, but one suggests that roadies aren't calling out obstacles as much as they should. The thing about riding in a pack is you're virtually blind to the road surface ahead and very dependent on riders in front to call out rocks, metal, glass, grates, branches..whatever may be on the pavement. Your life is literally in the hands of the riders out front as we are sadly reminded here.

Another aspect of this is that when riding alone, it's good practice to stop and clear debris like this off the bike lane. A rock, a piece of scrap metal.. easy to avoid when solo, but also easy to toss off the road. Do it safely, but please do it.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    The location where he crashed looks like there was a car fire a while back in the bike lane. I have noticed that they did a very poor job of clearing the debris and glass....it had been like that for months.

In addition there has been a crew out there clearing brush next to the guardrail s the last week allowing the remnants to blow into the bike lane. Goat heads galore.

11. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    I don't want to come off as high-handed, because what happened clearly sucks. But I look at these lighter and lighter road bikes, with skinnier and skinnier tires at high pressure, and then I think of high speeds and the condition of our Orange County roads, and it seems to me that it is an accident waiting to happen... over and over again. I regularly pass bikers on that road going in excess of 40 mph. I slow down and give them plenty of room. But I can't help but think - if that guy (or gal) goes down right there - they are in a world of hurt.

Maybe they think the same when they see me riding down the Motorway. I guess it's all relative.

12. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Santiago Canyon Road has been one of the most popular routes for road cycling for decades. I used to drive out from Long Beach (in the early 80's) to do time trials, or include it in big rides around South OC. It's still popular now despite the number of distracted or inattentive drivers.

Those bike lanes should really be kept as clean as possible for public/rider safety (and self-maintained when necessary). There was also a long period of time when tree branches were allowed to partially block the northbound bike lane before trash truck hill. That put riders at risk as well.

I'm also continually baffled by the attitude of drivers concerning cyclists around here. This is a premier, year-round cycling mecca, and I think the State of California and our various counties could do a much better job helping the general public be aware of, accepting toward, and careful regarding the cycling community.

20 and 23mm have been standard widths at least as long as I've been riding, as have 100 to 120psi+ pressures. 25mm and lower pressure may be more common now for various reasons. Regardless, road riding is inherently hazardous and some of those hazards have been mitigated by having solid riding companions, good technique and equipment; and attentive, respectful drivers.

13. BonsaiNut

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    I have been involved in three collisions with cars over the years while on a road bike. In the first two, I was traveling in the bike lane and the drivers pulled out in front of me so that I impacted the sides of their cars. The first time I rolled over the hood, the second time I slammed into the driver's door and left a huge dent in his classic Ford Mustang convertible. The third collision a driver didn't see me and backed into me... but in that case I got a date out of the guy's daughter who was in the back seat at the time, so it's all good :)

Now that I'm in my 50's I stay away from the roads as much as possible. Even riding up Silverado Canyon gives me increased sphincter factor. I am more worried riding in front of Cook's Corner than coming down the Luge!

14. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I hear ya. Cook's is hectic, with vehicles parked in the bike lane and cars flying by at 60mph! Last week there was a guy on a Harley (?) basically parked sideways on the pavement with people standing around his bike. Really? I wish we had a trail through the oaks and could stay off the road there.

I don't like the dedicated right turn lane at Santiago Estates either, where I've had vehicles passing me on both sides at freeway speeds. I ride by the curb and hope the engineers rethink that concept.

Sounds like third time's a charm when it comes to your collisions. Tough way to meet, but I guess you made an impression.

15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Road riding has its hazards, just like mountain biking has its own set of hazards. So far I've only been hit once (back when I was a stuipd teenager) on the road.

I notice he was riding in a peloton, or at least a fairly good sized group, and that's something that scares me more than the exposure on any singletrack. Most I'll ride with on the road is 3, and that's only if I know them well. Too easy to tangle up or miss seeing hazards on the road.

herzalot, Cyclotourist and kioti like this.