Ride Concepts

Discussion in 'Shoes' started by herzalot, Apr 11, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    First ride in my RCs today. They were comfy. Maybe a touch easier to reposition, but any sole with dots or hexagons or whatnot will require lifting to reposition rather than "smearing" your foot. I'm not sure my Spank Spoon pedals are as confidence inspiring as my previous Straitline JLs or the venerable gold Specialized Mags from 2008.

So my first ride analysis is the RCs are like my 5.10 Impacts but they fit a little better and are less bulky. Stay tuned for more. Or don't.

2. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    :sneaky:

I'll find out today!

herzalot and mtnbikej like this.
  3. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    @herzalot so are RCs true to size or better question in comparison to Impact bigger / smaller?

4. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    First ride was last night, and I am majorly disappointed. My worn out 5.10's grip better than these brand new ones! And my feet hurt at the end, and it wasn't even an aggressive ride!

Cyclotourist likes this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Short answer - True to size.

Long answer:
    I have a really difficult size 13 foot. My right foot is about 3 mm longer than my left, and that makes a huge difference in finding proper shoes. The RCs are just long enough. Oddly enough, SIDIs are probably the best fit out there for me. My RC size 13 are probably 2 mm longer than my Impacts, and about the same as my 5.10 Kestrel Lace 13s.

The RCs have a little extra volume in the forefoot. Gary @sir crashalot says they fit his wide feet better than 5.10s. I have flipper-shaped feet - narrow in the rear, wide in the front and not much volume. I hate sloppy shoes/boots. So far, even though Gary claims they fit wide feet well, I didn't notice excessive room or slop for my narrow-ish foot.

Cyclotourist, bvader and mtnbikej like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Update:

3 rides. Love these shoes. So comfortable, and well designed for riding. Just the right stiffness in the sole. They may be the only reason I am persisting with my "great flat pedal experiment of 2020."

I still haven't done a substantial hike a bike in them (like up Stair Steps - or across slippery rocks or roots), but I am certain they are just swell.

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Sidewalk and mtnbikej like this.
  8. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Ive been intrigued by Ride Concepts Tallacs since they came out last year. Always wanted a flat pedal shoe that was almost a hybrid with a hiking shoe because my rides often involve HAB, and these seem to fit the bill, but ive been put off by some reviews that theyre narrow and I have wide feet. They were on sale for $120 on cyber week so I took a gamble. Size 13 just like my Hellions and Powerlines. They seem midway in volume between the Hellions and Powerlines, the hellions are almost too tight, have to wear thin socks; the powerlines are high- volume but a tad short. Tallac is juust wide enough to not be an issue, but longer than the powerlines, theres like an inch in front of my toes haha. If you have narrow feet you might want to size down 1/2 size. But the long lace area seems it would accomodate various foot shapes. The tread dots are a little deeper than the other shoes, and especially chonky at toe and heel, they also go up the edges a bit for off-camber hiking traction, a weak point of most shoes. Rode Aliso to test, pedal grip is really good but still repositionable. Super comfortable in fit and midsole is plush but dense enough for pedal support, IMO a perfect balance. midsole is also a little thicker than the powerlines so a little less pedal feel and slightly higher COG, id still use the powerlines for techy/steep/ DH. Tallac would be my go-to for longer backcountry rides. Intentionally did some HAB up Cholla II :) to test that aspect. Grippy and nice toe flex for comfortable hiking. The materials seem super durable too. Nice job, RC!

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    So let me get this straight - you have three pairs of Ride Concepts in rotation based on the types of trails you are riding?

10. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Ha, not really. My hellions are really old and worn out. The Powerlines are getting there, but still have some life left. I try to nab shoes on sale when I know Ill need them soon, for $40 off thought Id try something new. Just thought for a thorough review Id mention I see the tallacs as more comfortable and appropriate for longer back country rides where hikeabikes might come up. Nothing wrong with more than one pair of shoes, and my only riding shoes currently are the RC's. (Im rationalizing my shoe addiction. You should see my trail running shoes collection...:))

herzalot and Old&InTheWay like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    N+1+1+1

12. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Exactly!
    edit: N+1 equivalent to N+1+1+1. since N is the number you curently have so whether you keep adding 1 or 3, both expressions go up to infinity!

DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?