Revolution Bike Fest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saki, Jul 4, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 11-04-16, 11-05-16, 11-06-16
  1. saki

saki Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    bill sakatani
  2. driffter33

driffter33 Member

Name:
    Warren Hornaday
    Current Bike:
    2013 Giant Anthem X 29er

This is coming from the OTH race organizer. It should be a pretty good event.

3. driffter33

driffter33 Member

Name:
    Warren Hornaday
    Current Bike:
    2013 Giant Anthem X 29er
    @Mikie this might be a good place/opportunity to spread the name and charisma of IMTBTRAILS.COM. Maybe a banner or pop-up associated with group campsite full of awesome attitude's. Just a thought.

4. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    So why is no one talking about this? Is anyone going? I've got my festival pass, and I'm waiting to find out what my kid's baseball schedule is going to be so I can get him a ticket, too.

Frankly, this sounds like a pretty neat deal. Not as excited about the concert aspect (might be more interested in evening activities if I was camping, and I may do that still), but the demo bikes, expo, skills park and off-site rides? Hell yes. The idea of checking out a demo bike and grabbing a shuttle to some of OC's best riding spots sounds awesome, or even just riding the OTH trails and skill areas. It may not be as awesome in practice, but I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like. Oh, and beer.

It may be small in terms of expo and demos, but even Outerbike had to start somewhere. True, OC isn't a great riding destination, but a bike festival in our own backyard? Hell yeah!

I probably sound like a shill, but I just think this thing has potential and want it to be a success. OTH is always a good time (with a little suffering thrown in), so I think these guys can put on a successful event. Who's in?

Mikie, Torrent77, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I will be out there....I got recruited into leading some of the rides.

https://www.facebook.com/revolutionbikefest/

6. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Matt & Rich showed up at the SHARE meeting a couple of nights ago.
    They've put a lot of thought and effort into Revolution Bike Fest
    Not sure what I'll be doing, probably in (under) the SHARE canopy. Or something else.

Think this what the event organizers are hoping/looking for - other organizations etc to get involved...:whistling:

Should be good

7. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Yeah, any rides you lead are probably the ones I'll avoid, as I think they'd wreck me for anything else. One mtnbikej ride and I'd be done for the weekend!

That said, perhaps an IMTBTrails meet-n-greet is in order? Perhaps Saturday evening?

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Haha!!!!! I'll be leading out one of the backcountry rides.... either Maple/Motorway or HJ/Trabuco. Not sure just yet.

Mikie and Kreature like this.
  9. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I was all in... until I saw the cost. Now I'm all out. I'll use the $ on parts needed for me bike. Sounds like a great event, and I was looking forward to taking my 9 year old. He keeps saying how he wants to ride with me, this would have been a great intro for him to see if he is for real.

Mikie, Torrent77, Obsidian and 5 others like this.
  10. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I was a little surprised by the way they structure the cost of the event.
    I would have thought that "Entrance to Festival Expo Area" would be free (if you are trying to attract max number of visitors).
    I guess bringing together the maximum number of cyclist was not one of the goals of the event.

Do to scheduling conflict I wouldn't be there.
    Currently, I'm planning to race at Vail Lake that Saturday, or drive up to SLO and visit my daughter.

Hopefully this turns out to be a great event, and one day it become bigger then Sea Otter (do you have to pay to get into Sea Otter?).

Mikie and Cornholio like this.
  11. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    The cost is pretty restrictive, 500 for a family, I might as well drive out of state and go ride.

Mikie, dustyyoungblood and Cornholio like this.
  12. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Yeah, not sure I'd get my money's worth living a few miles down the road from the venue. Would be fun for out of town folks who don't know the trails though. They should have a discounted entry for locals without camping by using a zip code system like theme parks do. Even $40 seems steep for the general Saturday concert ticket, otherwise I'd take my family out there just to check it out.

I am sure they will listen to feedback though and tweak the event going forward. Will be curious to hear from those on here who do attend.

Mikie likes this.
  13. I was gonna try to camp there with my 8 year old, but its AYSO season no go.

Mikie and Redman like this.
  14. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I will be in town, but there's only one bike I'm interested in trying, the Kona Honzo CR Trail. $85 is a little steep to try a bike.

Mikie, DBMX119 and herzalot like this.
  15. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Same here. I couldn't care less about a music festival or booze, and $85 is way to much to pay for a skills park and bike demo. It's a neat concept and I wish them well, but I'm definitely not the target demo for this.

Mikie, DBMX119, Redman and 2 others like this.
  16. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Cornholio, Grassblade23 and mtnbikej like this.
  17. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    mtnbikej and Cornholio like this.
  18. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Did anyone attend? I drove by at 12:30 on my way home from the Luge and it looked barren ... but perhaps I could not see all of it from the road.

Mikie likes this.
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

You are correct....the only thing you can see from the road is the skills/jump track. The rest of the venue was farther back in the canyon.

The parking lot was full when I got back from Holy Jim/Trabuco about 3:30.

Faust29, driffter33 and Mikie like this.
  20. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I would go more with barren.
    I paid and attended.
    Plenty of chances to demo bikes, even some smaller brands.
    It has potential.
    Way overpriced for the consumers.
    I talked to a few vendors I knew and they were not happy with no crowds and the costs as well.
    I have more thoughts I need to organize.

shawndoh, Faust29, driffter33 and 8 others like this.
  21. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I'm not sure what the Point of this event was supposed to be. The riding isn't good enough to be worth driving to, It's not built around a famous race, the demos are nice but not worth paying for. What am I missing?

I live just down Dump Hill from the event, most festivals at that venue bring crowds to the Albertson's, and I didn't sense anything out of the ordinary. Irvine Park was sort of quiet in between the Pumpkin Patch and Christmas train insanity.

22. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I am not sure what the benefit is of bringing an event like this to Orange County. Our trails are crowded enough, so we definitely do not need a huge festival attracting out of town riders. Orange County & SoCal get plenty of demo days throughout the year. I personally do not see mountain biking as a social sport, so the social aspects of the event have little appeal to me. So yeah, what are the positives for Orange County riders?

Mikie, herzalot and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  23. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Appears as though we could pay for what's usually free. Eschewed the event for the same reason. IMO, the "Over the Hump" guys laid an egg.

24. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    any chance the skills course and pump track area will remain?

Grassblade23, Mikie and kioti like this.
  25. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    I'm hoping revolution bike fest will become the next sea otter. Like any event, it takes a few iterations before it becomes something substantial. It takes dedicated folks to keep attending for an event like RBF to take off. I missed it this year, but I'll be there for the next one.

26. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I've been to Sea Otter and it was great back in the late 90's. It was grassroots, with a very low key atmosphere. Now it's all about sponsors and big bucks. Yeah, I know to be in business you got to make money. Liability insurance is through the roof.
    I do think sometimes venders just need to get out and meet the public. More than likely, its the event planners that are looking to make a quick big buck!

Torrent77 and gunga din like this.
  27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Nope only built for the Bike Fest....I believe they are already leveling it.

Mikie likes this.
  28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    When OTH first started, everyone said we didn't need it...no one would show up....that it was too expensive. The first year they did 3 races and results were mixed. Now they do 12 races, nearly sell out 500-600 riders on a weekly basis.

Revolution Bike Fest was the first try at something like this in the OC. First year out, you are gonna have some bumps in the road to smooth out. At least it gives a foundation for what can be done.

Based on the support/feedback from the local shops and bike manufacturers who attended....it was a positive experience.

shawndoh, Redman, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    There was a weekend of opportunities to demo bikes from just about every major bike manufacturer in one place....I think Niner was the only one that did not attend. You could try a Santa Cruz, Giant, Ibis, Trek...all back to back without having to wait until each individual brand had their own demo day.

Grassblade23, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Also.....I have no dog in this fight....whether is succeeds or fails does not affect me one bit.

I did volunteer to do some guided rides. I had the opportunity to demo bikes all weekend....I chose not to because I am more comfortable on my bike for the rides I was leading. Showed some people some great rides...rides they likely would not have done on their own.

I got spend time out riding on the skills/jump track...took in the concerts, hung out with friend, met lots of new people, was fed breakfast and lunch both days....all the stuff that was included with your admission.

I am friends with those who spent the last 10 months putting this together and know how much effort it took.

Most of the people I saw had smiles on their faces.....(except the couple of guys that were a bit over their head on my ride)...and looked to be having a good time.

Most people usually point out the negatives first....it is just the way we humans are programmed...instead of embracing the positives.

These were my experiences out there.

MrGreedom, kioti, shawndoh and 12 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?