Revgrips

Discussion in 'Grips' started by fos'l, Nov 24, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    My friend, who had a severe table saw injury to his hand and my son, who has broken his left wrist a couple of times while skateboarding, both say these grips revolutionized their riding comfort. So far, I've had good results, but probably don't have the same problems, so don't notice as big an impact.

Danmtchl, Danimal, mtbMike and 4 others like this.
  2. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I've had numbing issues from riding MTB's from day one and had the same issues on my personal dirt bikes and ATV's at work. I've tried nearly every remedy from bar width to bar height, bar material, foam grip, thick grips, skinny grips, yada, yada, yada....it HAS gotten better but not cured with the OneUp carbon ovalized handlebars. Pretty much the only thing I haven't tried is the REV grips because I can never pull the trigger due to the $$. Maybe I should finally try them out...

3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    This sounds like me. Numbness on many rides, one up bars, yada yada yada. But even with that still love the ride. Maybe give them a try, any links to deals for these grips?

4. solislbc

solislbc Well-Known Member

Name:
    El
    Current Bike:
    2001 GT Zaskar
    I used to get hand numbness around the ulnar nerve. As soon as I started using padless gloves, the pain went away. The gel was causing more compression which was counter productive. I rarely get hand pain anymore. I am mindful to rest them on the climbs by switching positions constantly. Maybe a combo of both padless gloves and hand position.

fos'l, redwoods, mtbMike and 2 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    This is me... Doesn't really matter if it's on the hardtail or not. The OneUp bars are a significant improvement, but they aren't 100%. A run down the front range has me pulling over for breaks by the bottom. At Frog Hollow, all the constant pounding left my hands numb for 3 days after. They were the last body part to return to normal.

I looked at these the last time they came up on the forum, but thought the price was nuts. I'm going to order a set of the race grips and check them out. I have two more long events on the horizon, and I'd like to be able to hold a coffee cup afterwards. :laugh:

Edit: Ordered. I'll provide feedback... It should only take one run down Sunset to know if they are legit or complete bullshit. :laugh:

bvader, fos'l, pperrelle and 8 others like this.
  6. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    I’ve been reluctant to try them because with any round grips, thin thick foam… I can feel it after 10 yards pedaling up. No chance descending. only the ugly large flat platform Ergon will do.

Danmtchl, fos'l, scan and 1 other person like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The Ergons are what I've been using the last couple years after a recommendation from @herzalot . Before Frog Hollow I threw on a set of Red Monkeys trying to save some weight, but they couldn't compare to the Ergons for comfort and I threw them back in the drawer.

I'm willing to give these wonder grips a try, though... The San Gabes are murder on my hands.

Fueledbyex8, Danmtchl, fos'l and 5 others like this.
  8. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    I tried the RevGrips and frankly thought they were worse in some ways than slip on Oury grips which I'm back to using. Like most lock on grips, they are stiff since they have a hard core inside rather than being solid foam or rubber like a slip on grip. When climbing and riding smoother flat ground the 'rev' functionality is not working, so perhaps for a shuttle bike where you are only descending it would be ok. Old school Oury slip on for me.

Danmtchl, fos'l, Danimal and 4 others like this.
  9. Bill

Bill Member

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    it's black
    I've been using them for nearly a couple of years. As Eric said they are not soft compliant grips, they are grippy but not squishy due to the lack of depth in the "grip" part. What they do very well is quiet down most of the high frequency grip rotation from being transferred to your hand and wrist. Adding the rotation of the grips and your gloves/skin deformation and slip your hand stays much more stable while you do not have to death grip to keep your hands on the bars.

Everyone is probably looking for something different in a grip. I find that RevGrips seem to result in less hand fatigue and wrist soreness. Some may find that soft squishy grips are the way to thread that needle and I presume that there are many ways to grip nirvana but RevGrips work for me. It may be that you need to have a specific set of problems to see the value in them. I know that if I had come across them 30 years ago I would have wondered why anyone would need such a useless item as my wrists were bulletproof then.

10. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    They have a 30 day return policy. Plus, they can be rebuilt, so this ameliorates the cost somewhat. Go big and get the $89 ones.

Danmtchl and Obsidian like this.
  11. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Their web site doesn't exhibit any discounts (maybe tomorrow). The Path has 15% off on components.

Danmtchl, Obsidian and Danimal like this.
  12. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Follow the assembly directions carefully for best results IMO.

13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Ok... I ordered these. I lasted two rides. The Ergons are back on the bike. The Rev Grips are back in the box. End review. :Roflmao

Where they belong...
    IMG_1025.jpeg

The most comfortable grip I've yet found... Trust the Germans. Well... Unless they see themselves as Reichsbürger. :laugh:
    IMG_1027.jpeg

14. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Good call. I kept them for a few months before going back to Ourys and missed the return window. I rode with the Ergon wing type grips for a long time and liked them. Curious now that you mention them if maybe I should try again, but I've been pretty happy with the slip on Ourys too.

15. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    What didn't you like about them? I got a pair as a trailwork prize but haven't tried them out yet. But my Ergons are worn out.

Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  16. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have Ergons GA2’s on both of my bikes and a Ergon saddle. They make a great product and are extremely comfortable.

17. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    They have some work to do on the Magura brakes to prevent brake rub.

mtnbikej, Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    On the uphills, the grip material itself was noticeably harder and thinner than what I like. On the downhills, the "float" in the grip just didn't provide enough for Sunset, which is my gold standard for causing hand issues. I had to pull over before the bottom...

I had them on the bike for the group ride at San Juan, and they were fine... Maybe for easier trails?

evdog, herzalot and Old&InTheWay like this.
  19. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Could be different thickness too. I've used ODI Ruffians for many years now. I tried ODI Rogues once, which are thicker, and got fatigue way sooner than with the Ruffians. That could be a problem for the revgrips too. We'll see.

Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  20. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I use the ODI Rogues and really like them. All the reviews said they needed a few rides for break in, which turned out to be true. They were pretty stiff at first but really nice after they were broken in. They also don't squirm around. The last thing I want is are grips that feel like they're moving. :laugh:

Danimal likes this.
  21. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Fueledbyex8 and Obsidian like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?