Request For the Shop Boys

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by bvader, May 3, 2018.

1. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Been fighting a saddle /seat post Creek what's best practice.

I know some of it's actually coming from the saddle itself WTB saddle rails creek where they poke into the nose of the saddle I can work some oil into that by humping my bike against the wall see previous post.

http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/posts/119986/

(I actually have a better way now but that was so fun)

But what's the best practice on the saddle rail saddle, rail clamp, saddle clamp bolts grease or dry.

Also how much carbon paste how far down, what about actual seatposts clamp bolt (grease) carbon paste on the clamp itself.

OR... Everything dry clean except for the carbon paste.

I'm waiting....

2. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Self Reply

well I went full clean and grease everything and paste deep into post ... And walluh!!! no creak!!!

Last night I tore it apart and went everything dry minimal paste and it was still creaking so I guess I got my answer.

I'm sure it'll get grit-and-grime in there probably just something I have to do more often

SnakeCharmer, Mikie, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  3. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    I’ve noticed that I, like many, often to not tighten the seatpost bolts enough securing the saddle. Some of them really need a torque wrench to get it right. See what yours requires and try that if you haven’t. I had an annoying creak on a previous bike that needed just the right amount of post torque. Too much of too little and crreeeeeeeaaaaaaakkkk.

SnakeCharmer, bvader, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I use a "greasy fingers" technique. I put an extremely small amount of grease on all metal to metal contact points. Torque wrench is necessary, especially for two bolt clamps. I find that 5-6 Nm works quite well.

SnakeCharmer, Mikie, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  5. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    @rossage Thanks for the confirmation... Basically what I did... probably could be a bit more precise...

Mikie, mtnbikej, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  6. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    I will say, that I thought I was the only one but apparently a number of WTB saddles (which I love) I have the Silverado Slimline creak where the rails enter the nose... Clean and drop a little dumond in there and work in.... I have my little torque wrench try to get it just right... all I can say is that I am a happy camper... for now. Thanks Gents!

Luis likes this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Creaks suck. Glad you got yours fixed. Voila!

bvader likes this.