Relo from East Coast

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Lisa Sinclair, Apr 18, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Lisa Sinclair

Lisa Sinclair Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Lisa
    Current Bike:
    Specialized Epic
    My husband and I just relocated from Long Island and YES we have great single track mountain biking trails on Long Island. :)
    Our bikes just arrived and we want to take them out ASAP to see what the San Diego area has in store for us. I already know I need to upgrade my Specialized Epic (2008) to adjust to west coast riding.
    But, in the meantime any suggestions for intermediate rides NOT in public preserves since those are closed due to COVID?
    Looking forward to our new adventures and testing our skills!

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Welcome, @Lisa Sinclair ! I bet @evdog will have some suggestions for you! I don't know the area super well, but it is the internet, so I'll go ahead and recommend the Sorrento/Penasquitos area if it isn't shut down.

If you want to travel a bit more, you could spend a good morning or afternoon at the San Clemente Singletracks along the O.C./S.D. border. They are (edited, closed).

FYI, the site I linked to above will have a ton of resources for SoCal as well as elsewhere!

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/index.htm

3. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    San Clemente singletracks are now closed.

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hi Lisa and welcome to the best little mt bike forum this side of the Pecos! (Actually, not sure where the Pecos is).

I'll let the SD people chime in about riding in your new 'hood, but as I quietly mentioned in another thread, most of the trails in Orange County are open. Shhhhhh...

About an hour's drive for you, maybe less.

Not sure what you would call an intermediate ride. The rides in OC involve quite a bit of climbing. The trails in Aliso and Wood Canyon Wilderness Park are mostly short, sometimes steep descents with some interesting chunk thrown in to prevent boredom. Steep climbs to return to the top for another run. About 900 vertical feet. The trails in adjoining Laguna Coast Wilderness Park have longer fire-road access, and some fun intermediate descents (along with a couple of challenging trails). There are similar entertaining trails in Santiago Oaks Regional Park.

Whiting Regional Park has some more mellow singletrack under canopy, but it can be frighteningly crowded on weekend mornings (as can be Aliso and Santiago Oaks).

The trails in the Santa Ana mountains are mostly long fire-roads or converted fire-road climbing, with a few hidden gem descents (The Luge, Silverado Motorway and a few that are closed due to fires a few years ago).

Give us an idea of what you call intermediate, and the herd can guide you.

5. Lisa Sinclair

Name:
    Lisa
    Current Bike:
    Specialized Epic
    Awesome. I will reach out to evdog. Sorrento/Penasquitos is closed from what I was reading. :( Damn COVID! lol
    But, San Clemente looks promising. Thank you for getting back with me.

6. Lisa Sinclair

Name:
    Lisa
    Current Bike:
    Specialized Epic
    I love climbing--the more the better. :) Intermediate to us include: climbs, switchbacks. roots, rocks, trees to navigate around--pretty much relentless work and at some point wondering why we continue to put ourselves through the amazing abuse. :) :)

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Thanks for confirming! Fairly recent, or was I just not paying attention?

Disregard SC, closed for now, but keep them on your radar for the future!

@evdog goes off-grid for chunks of time, and he may be in the sticks right now. But he will follow up with awesome ride reports!!!

8. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Covid closed or just because of the rain? I almost headed down there this morning. :eek:

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    PERFECT - well, except the trees part. Great attitude too. You'll fit right in with the hooligans and hooligals on this forum. :thumbsup: :cool:

The four parks I mentioned - Aliso, LCWP, Whiting and Santiago Oaks involve yo-yo riding - go up, drop something, go up something else, drop something else. Repeat until exhausted. Oh - one thing - when it's sunny and springtime, keep eyes open for rattlers. :eek: Yup. Haven't seen any yet this year, but sunny weather is coming.

Oh and San Juan Trail up and back fits your description almost perfectly. Switchbacks, some chunky sections on the lower half, then ,much more techy on the upper loops.

If you want arduous and relentless, jump in with @mtnbikej and his better half @horsebikerider. Great people to ride with. There's a ton of others who put in ridiculous mileage/climbing stats too, but they live way up north. We call them Canadians, but they live in northern LA County. @Mikie is not only the head of the Canadian contingent, he is the owner/spiritual guide on this site.

10. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Well I don’t know :poop: about the riding in SD since I live near Canada but I love your attitude and think you’re gonna fit in perfectly here.

11. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
  12. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Yay! Welcome fellow female mtn biker!

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Welcome.

Most of Orange County...or So Cal. for the most part lacks tree and roots....but we have plenty of coastal sage brush, rocks, ruts and scree.

The Covid closures have made some riding spots difficult to access....at least here in Orange County.

Lots of fun stuff to ride, but as @herzalot mentioned....a lot of it is short up/short down.

Get out and get some new dirt.

14. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Welcome, I’m up in Carlsbad. Happy to show you and your husband around a few local trails once they open up again. You’re close to Del Mar Mesa, Penasquitos and Black Mountain. The riding here will be a lot different than the Northeast. The best somewhat local riding is Mt. Laguna/Noble. Also unfortunately closed at the moment. I’m fairly new to San Diego County, but feel free to reach out if you have any questions. @Walleye is also in North County and has a lot of local trail knowledge.

15. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    San Juan Trail (Loop) has the best downhill roots in OC (that I know of). The only other place that comes to mind is parts of Fullerton Loop, but those are not very fun.

16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Joplin roots... :inlove: (not intermediate), and Old San Juan from Cocktail Rock down... That Rooty section is a riot!

And Trabuco when it comes back...

17. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Covid closed

Sassyquatch, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Crap. Did they dump sand all over it? LOL.

Faust29, Redman, doublewide and 5 others like this.
  19. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Welcome @Lisa Sinclair. You stumbled into a super cool nook of the interweb here. Enjoy!

20. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Welcome aboard, @Lisa Sinclair. You'll find lots of helpful folks around these parts.

21. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Welcome!
    Something to think about when planning your post-Covid adventures on MTB Project or Trailforks: summer comes at different times and with different severities, depending on distance from the ocean and elevation.

Coastal rides are a go almost year round, almost all day. But the inland hills and mountains get hot and dry by mid June, to where they are really only fun when the sun is low, or if you cache lots of water along the way—enough to douse your helmet andto drink.

In the mountains, it’s good to get over ~6000 ft to survive the worst of summer, which runs mid July thru mid September. higher elevations just got a last dusting of snow. If it weren’t 2020 we’d be enjoying the last week or so of the local ski season.

I’m a big fan of Skyline trail in Big Bear. It’s the most intermediate ride I know, and IMO the setting is unmatched by any ride of the same driving distance. It’s usually snow free by now, maybe some patches in the shade.

I haven’t ridden Idyllwild since the fire so I don’t know what’s been re-opened, but it’s a very cool mountain town and a good day trip from SD.

22. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
  23. Steve/Steverino

Steve/Steverino Member

Name:
    redeemed, r you?
    Current Bike:
    E-bikes
    A meaningful, heartfelt, welcome to you Lisa and your hubby.

For some reason I think you'd enjoy a trail out here that's popularily known as SART. (Santa Ana River Trail),the mountain section in the San Bernardino Mtns. However, I could be wrong, please don't shoot the messenger.

Best wishes, Steve

24. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I like you already!
    Welcome Lisa Sinclair and husband!
    Canada to these hooligans is actually North of Los Angeles to include Santa Clarita, Castaic, Frazier Park, and Bakersfield. I still wear a Toque and tell people to “Take off you Hoser!” to keep them happy...

When you are ready for the big climbs and chunk, come to the San Gabriel mountains on the North side of Los Angeles. That includes Big Bear. We got the goods up here.

Welcome to imtbtrails!
    Mikie of Frazier Park

25. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
  26. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Some gems there. I listened to this song at least 50 times as my '95 Honda Accord barrelled across the country from Nashville to LA in'98, stuffed to the gills. It remains the only Zeppelin I actually like.

https://youtu.be/PDIz4talyQk

tick, Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  27. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    tick, Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  28. Walleye

Walleye Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bill P.
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX7
    Welcome to SD, Lisa! Lotsa fun rides down here, with hardly any incursions by Canadians! For me, the best one-two punch in the county is Cuyamaca SP -Laguna Mtns Rec. Area. a plethora of great intermediate trails in chaparral/forested settings; and then there's the King, Noble Canyon. COVID's thrown a wrench into the SD region, with most suburban parks (La Costa, Peñasquitos, DMM, Black Mtn, Mission Trails) shut down. My workarounds (for the past 4 weeks anyway): Black Mountain in Ramona (can add mileage w. Santa Ysabel TT); Nate Harrison Grade on Palomar Mtn. (an uphill grind, to be sure); Oriflamme Cyn loop fron Mason Valley TT; and Thing Valley-Fred Cyn-Kitchen Creek, in the Laguna Mtns. south of Sunrise Hwy. Laguna's got signage saying all trailheads are closed, but trails are open (for now) -based on the crazy amount of cars parked at the Meadows Info Center yesterday (illegally??), I'm guessing the BLT is a total Covidiot-show. Cyclotourist is right on with his recommendation of Mountainbikebill's website -great maps and beta. Have fun wherever you go, it's beautiful out there right now!

Cyclotourist, Faust29, Luis and 4 others like this.
  29. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :eek: What the hail?!?!?!? :gotnothing::laugh::inlove:

herzalot, Luis, Walleye and 1 other person like this.
  30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Welcome! Enjoy your new environs! :thumbsup:

A few of us have done time in the east, and you don’t see us clamoring to run back. @BonsaiNut doesn’t count, NC is in the south. :)