Redlands Strada Rossa.....Navigation and Mechanical Problems

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Mar 18, 2017.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    @Faust29 picked me up early with the intention of getting checked in and leaving before the pack. Traffic on the 91 FWY chewed into that. By the time we were checked in and ready to go....it was about 6:45. 15 mins wasn't going to make or break the ride, so we left with the pack....only to be spit out the back.

We were told at the start that the course was marked with Painted Arrows, Orange Arrow Stickers, and cones.

Within a few miles the route on Garmin was off compared to where the arrows/cones were located. We were able to figure it out and continued on. When we rolled into Houlda Crooks the Garmin went one way....apparently we were off, but picked up some cones. So we continued on. By the time we met back up with the route, we were at Mile 34, but my Garmin showed mile 12. We started to cut back to meet up with the Aid Station at Mile 20.

A few miles up Steve got a flat. Tire was fine, but the valve was leaking air. It would hold fine for a while, then just let it all out quickly. We were still early in the ride and I didn't want to tube it just in case we ran across an area of thorns. Pumped it up a few times, but just decided to turn around and continue on the route like normal....we would just end up with less miles. Shortly after this we got stuck waiting for a freight train to pass.

The first Aid Station we stopped at was at Mile 38'ish(18.5 on the Garmin). Chugged down the remainder of my bottle then filled it up with water and added in my baggie of Tailwind. Steve did the same. Once again we were off. A few miles later....the tire went flat again. This time we tubed it. The bead wouldn't pop in so he rode it for a while before it finally snapped in. A few miles later Steve asks if I drank any of the water from the Aid Station.....No, not yet....why? Tastes horrible. Took a sip out of my bottle....:gag: :sick: Tasted like water that had been sitting in an old garden hose in the sun for way too long. I'll only drink it as a last resort.

Rode some new sections, a couple of HAB's. Also lots of sections from last year, only the other direction. At the next Aid Station...again filled the bottles. This time I tested the water first. Tasted ok. However it was 80*+ out there and the water was warm.

Around Mile 55 on the course we reached the highest point on the route....bypassing Pisgah Peak. Way easier. Over the next several miles of mainly downward direction....we passed a rattlesnake, I missed it but Steve caught it. This would be the only one for the day.

After crossing the 38 we had our first big water crossing....it was big and it was moving pretty quick. Was able to ride across it, but it was deep and wet feet were unavoidable. The next several miles ticked by pretty quick. On the otherside of the Old Bridge we reached the final Aid Station. Ice cold water, and it tasted great.

The final 20 miles were on the flat side through the wash. It was getting hot at this time. A few singletrack climbs and descents. By this time my rear tire was no longer holding traction. Any amount of torque and it would spin out. Made the steep and not even loose climbs tough.

The final 5 miles were a gradual/flat ride down the street into a headwind.

Houlda Crooks still seems to be an issue when it comes to course marking....we were not the only ones to miss the turn.

The water issues were not acceptable, especially or a paid event.

This route was the easiest 70 miles I have done....maybe the 20 miles we missed would have changed that, but we only missed out on about 900' of climbing in that part. Kinda bummed we missed some of the really fun ST's from last year.

Overall it was a fun ride....all rides are. However this one had some frustrating moments.

IMG_2566.JPG IMG_2567.JPG IMG_2568.JPG IMG_2569.JPG IMG_2570.JPG IMG_2571.JPG IMG_2572.JPG
    Screenshot (154).png Screenshot (155).png

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Sounds like this ride is jinxed...didn't you guys run into issues last year too?? But still, you had more fun than I did. I was car shopping most of the day.

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Ugggh, that water incident sounds awful... bleh. You two and Hulda... just isn't ever going to be clean!!!

Sasquatch9billion, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    The flats sucked a little life out in the beginning, but our navigation issues were worse... Last year we were able to follow the purple line on the Garmin, and it was within a few feet the entire way. This time around, the track was off from the beginning. Even when we had the pack in site in the very beginning, and were following the arrows and cones, the GSP track was showing us several hundred yards off course. Mtnbikej thought maybe it was an upload issue with RidewithGPS. Not sure, but it made us hesitant to trust the Garmin for most of the day.

Once we realized how far off course we were, we used Google Maps to plot a strategy that would get us some climbing, and get us back to an aid station. Two other riders with the same issues joined us for this stretch. At least we weren't the only ones. Our "strategy" included a ball buster of a road climb (Smiley Road). Descending Smiley Road put us back on the course, but roughly 19 miles ahead of schedule. We also hit 45+ mph on the road descent. That may be the fastest I've gone on the mountain bike... :thumbsup:

The water situation was bad... On our long self-supported excursions in the mountains, we'll take what we can get. On a paid event, I didn't expect the water to taste like it was infused with sun baked hose rubber. I grew up on well water. This was worse. Fortunately, I still had a bottle from home, and used the hose water as a last resort. And more fortunately, we came across an older lady who was struggling a little, and was out of water. I generously gave her my hose water, and warned her about the taste. :whistling: That left me with 1/2 bottle of Tailwind for the longest road climb of the day. It wasn't steep, but it seemed to go on forever... Think Sand Wash of Death on pavement.

When we rolled into the next aid station, we were hopeful about the water. It was warm. :gag: And we still had 4 miles to finish the climbing section (pavement- dirt road- rutted loose single track) and reach the high point of the day. Jason managed to clean the rutted section, and pass a lot of guys walking their cross bikes. I made it about 2/3 of the way, and the heart was a little out of control. I walked with a skinny tire guy for about 100 yards. :thumbsdown:

The second half of the course had a lot more down than up... Some pavement, some single track, some rutted fast fire road, and water crossings that were calf deep, and flowing fast. The deepest water crossing was a blessing in disguise. My feet (new shoes) were killing me at this point, and the water felt awesome! :thumbsup:

All in all, it was a fun ride, but there were definitely a couple of areas for improvement...:thumbsup:

Monkeying Around
    IMG_2873.jpg

Pre-ride talk
    IMG_2874.jpg

Top of Smiley. Plotting our strategy
    IMG_2876.jpg

Back on track. Stopped by a train.
    IMG_2878.jpg

We cleared it. All the skinny tire guys that we saw walked... :thumbsup:
    IMG_2881.jpg

Green!
    IMG_2883.jpg

Last aid station. Cold water finally!
    IMG_2884.jpg

redlands.jpg

5. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    I see you missed the left turn at the Tennis courts in Hulda. I marked that section the day before, but heard reports that some arrows were missing the next day for the event. But that sucks, cause you missed the sections that headed through Colton to Moreno Valley, a lot of new dirt that hasnt been in the strada rossa before. Was the hose-flavored water at the stop with the Smoothies?

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, was bummed we missed the Colton to MV section....something new. Unfortunately didn't see any arrows, plus we were far enough back most of the riders had already been through so we saw no riders.

Yup the bad water was at the smoothie stop at the top of Alesandro(mile 38'ish on the 90 mile course).

7. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    How did the smoothie fair?

8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I was looking for you out there yesterday, but didn't spot you. The smoothies were tempting, but I stick to the "food in a bottle" for long rides. My only deviation yesterday was 2 oatmeal cookies at the mile 54 rest stop and a couple mini cinnamon buns at the last rest stop.

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Don't know....didn't try them.

Except for 4 pretzels and 3 orange slices, I kept it to the Tailwind.

10. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    With your unintentional shortcut, you were probably quite a ways ahead of my pace, plus I stopped in calimesa at a deli for a sandwich and beer before that sag at mile 54. I think next time, me or dave/Cyclotourist should hand out our numbers for directions, if the markings go south again.

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    none the less...
    an excellent report and pics.
    at least I was entertained...:whistling:

(one handed typing... im getting lazy)

12. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Can't go by George's without stopping and topping off the tanks!!!
    beer.jpg

13. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    That place is SO GOOD.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I'm glad the ride was Saturday! I've been fighting a 103 fever since Sunday. I know it's bad when my coffee doesn't seem appealing. :sick:

Hopefully, I'll shake it in the next day or two and get a good ride in this weekend.

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

That's a bummer. Who would've thunk that on Saturday.

Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  16. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    That came on fast! Sorry, man...

Faust29 likes this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    It was weird... I didn't feel any "pre-sickness" on Saturday, and actually felt pretty good at the end. Woke up on Sunday with the watery eyes and stuffy head. By noon, it was full blown fever, aches, stuffy head, green goo, and all the rest.

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Apparently you didn't do a very thorough job washing the Redlands filth off.

19. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    It was whatever was in that water!

DBMX119, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I wasn't going to say it! :p