Redlands Strada Rossa- 100 miler

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Faust29, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Where to start?

I've been riding the el Mariachi set up as a poor man's cross bike with 700 x 40 Nanos for this very occasion, but I have to admit that I missed my normal tires the entire time. There is no "cushion" on skinny tires with 50psi. I practiced climbing and descending a lot of the local trails, and mixed in some road miles. All in all, I only had maybe 300 miles on the skinny tires before the Strada Rossa.

I started the morning the usual way... A couple shots of espresso to get the blood moving, followed by a steady stream of Americanos. A couple sunny side up eggs and toast (Seedsational from Sprouts). I made some oatmeal to eat just before the start... Which I later ended up wolfing down as I unpacked the bike in the Redlands Mall parking lot. The plan today was not to rely solely on Tailwind for the ride. At the last Temecula race, I got really tired of it after lap 5 or so. It was doing its job, but I just wanted some real food... The plan today was to keep one heavily mixed (2-2.5 scoops) bottle on the bike, along with a plain water, and not stop myself from snacks at the aid stations. Who could resist the homemade brownies at aid station 4? :thumbsup:

mtnbikej and I wandered around at the beginning. I had ridden in Redlands once before, and I had a vague sense of where Augies Coffee was. We found it after a couple times around the block, and were ushered into a dark alley by a total stranger, who assured us we were in the right place. What could go wrong? :thumbsup:

We completed the registration without issue, signed the waivers, donned the wristbands, and we were off! In the dark... A little after 6:00. I was able to load the course on my Garmin the night before, but mtnbikej's gave him some trouble. For those who know my love/hate relationship with my 510, we were in a position to rely on it for navigating 100 miles of unknown trails... Most of the time by ourselves. Not the most comforting of starts. In the end, though, it worked well. Jason watched for the course markers, and I watched the thin purple line on the Garmin screen. The only time this was an issue was on the long road descents. I got a little nervous taking my eyes off the road to look at the screen at 40 mph. We missed a few turns here and there, but never strayed too far from the course, and always found our way back.

The only issue with using the navigation screen the entire time was not being able to watch the heart rate. I got tired of my very finicky chest strap, and sprung for a Mio Link. This was its maiden voyage, and it recorded accurately (and comfortably) for about 7 hours before dying. :thumbsup:

IMG_0312.JPG

To say that we rode a variety of terrain is an understatement... This was truly an adventure ride. We rode very sweet single track, pavement, smooth fire roads, gravel, rock, unused overgrown trails, etc. There were water crossings, fence crossings, HABs up and down, and anything else you can think of... There were spots that we could see the trail ahead of us, and there were spots that the terrain changed quickly from one extreme to another with no warning. It was great. :thumbsup:

An interesting little section near the beginning, as we were still in civilization:
    IMG_0313.JPG

I'm not a ballerina, but I managed to get across with dry shoes.
    IMG_0314.JPG

The highest point on the ride... just under 5,000 feet at the top of the Pisgah climb.
    IMG_0317.JPG

The Pisgah climb ended at mile 48, and marked the real halfway point. I remembered from the elevation chart that there was a long downhill section after this, and we enjoyed it. A lot. Downhill on the fireroad, followed by a pavement section where we topped 40mph. :thumbsup:
    IMG_0318.JPG

One of the single track sections that I had ridden with David in November. You can see Jason on the far side.
    IMG_0320.JPG

This section was the only rough spot of the day. We were at the back of the pack, and missed aid station #5. I had about 2 ounces of plain water left, and was starting to get cramps in my side. The pedaling was easy enough through this section, so I kept going without issue, but was starting to worry about finding a water source. Then we popped out onto a street in a very nice residential neighborhood. I was head down pedaling, when I heard Jason say, "There's a fountain." Huh? We're not near any parks...

I wasn't thinking, or I would have taken a picture of the entire property. The tile work on the fountain matched the tile on the front gate and the flower beds. I really like these people... They were my mile 80 saviors.

IMG_0324.JPG

We met this guy after mile 90. He thought we were the jackasses. He probably knew the climb that was waiting at mile 92.
    IMG_0326.JPG

I was really happy to see this sign.
    IMG_0327.JPG

redlands strada rossa.jpg

All in all, it was a great day... I would not have finished without mtnbikej, and I probably wouldn't have been able to keep the pace we did on my own.

Now that I've had a little time to process... I think the Nanos worked well, but I'm wondering if I would have had a little easier time with some low tread 29 x 2.0 tires? Not sure... The only time that the Nanos really scared the heck out of me was at mile 30. We HABed up to a small peak. The descent down was steep, rutted, and loose. I went down in a slide on my right knee, and saw 3 others go down, as well. Other than that, they worked well... I just missed the cushion of 25psi 29er tires...

Very nice event...

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Here is my take......

Originally I wasn't interested in doing this ride. Why? It sounded like a road ride with a little bit of dirt thrown in....and it just didn't sound that great. However over time hearing that there was more and more dirt, with a little bit of road in between started looking much better. Looking at the numbers I figured it shouldn't be that tough, especially considering that it was marketed as a gravel grinder/CX bike ride.

So my plan was to throw on some light wheels and some low profile, light, fast rolling tires and giving it a go. Doing the 100 miles wasn't an issue. Doing the 100 miles on sketchy tires was. So about 2 weeks ago, I mounted up a 2.1 Maxxis Aspen/F and 2.1 Kenda SB8/R on a set of Stan's Crests I had in the garage. Fortunately, all parts I already had, so I didn't need to spend anything but time. It took 2 weeks to finally get the Aspen to hold pressure, the SB8 was still bleeding air...but it held for the whole ride. I got a few test rides in the Oaks last week and wasn't sure this was a good call for a 100 miles. The Aspen is just scary slippery up front.

Met up with @Faust29 in the dark at an abandoned shopping mall parking lot. Temps were actually pretty nice at 5:45am, but still opted for lightweight armwarmers. A little bit of confusion as to where registration was. Yeah, the "follow me down a dark alley in Redlands" was a bit odd. :cautious: Quick registration and wrist band and we were ready to head off.

Went to load the route in my Garmin and it showed the route as only about 1/4 mile out on the road....no more. :poop: :bang: :mad: It worked the other day when I tested it. Good thing Steve had it loaded and working. I printed off the Route/Cue Sheet. We were off....in the dark...in Redlands. Right away we were a bit confused. Up and down a couple of streets and we found the route. A few mintues into the ride, we hit our first piece of dirt...but the cue sheet didn't mention it. Maybe it was because it was dark and we couldn't see the arrows on the pavement...but it was confusing. :(I can see how people got lost. Continued on and passed through the homeless camp....a few times.

By this time the sun had finally come up and we were starting to get into some long stretches of dirt.

IMG_1538.JPG

I would spend the whole day having absolutely no clue as to where I was. The only time I had any idea was at Aid Station #5 next to the 10 Fwy.

Some fun sections of singletrack, double track, no track(see above pic of the boulder and water crossing) and some fire roads.

IMG_1540.JPG
    Mix of horse trails, bike paths and purpose built multipurpose trails along the way. The road sections were....well, interesting.;) In and out of the local neighborhoods. Some very nice neighborhoods and some where I thought to myself...."if I was in my car, not sure I would get out".

Well the GPS route Steve has and my Cue sheet didn't always match, but we always went with the GPS route. About 20 miles in, we finally started getting caught by the riders that left on time. Some more fun climbing on very nice singletrack. At one point I was hearing music...but it was too early, and I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Finally at the top of one climb, there "she" was....playing the bagpipes.:thumbsup: Cool, I'm not loosing my mind.

IMG_1542.JPG

Warmed up pretty good about 9:30. We would take the long way around to Zanja Peak, down to the Regional Park and around to Crafton Hills Open Space. More fun descending...passed a lot of the CX guys at this point. After Aid Station #2 the volunteer pointed up the hillside and said that is where you are headed....it was way up there, and they warned us it was steep. We looked up and saw guys walking. :gag: So we headed up....and it was steep. There was only 1 short section here I had to walk. Beyond that the trail just kept going and going. The CX guys were crawling up in the granny gears....at this point, hopped off and began to walk up to Zanja Peak....we were only 28/29 miles in and had a long way to go. The last 75 feet up to the peak were a HAB for everyone. THis was mile 30 and the trail then headed straight down. Sweet, drop in and right away the front tire starts to wander, the back tire isn't biting in, and the brakes are useless. Throw in the baby heads and the ruts, and I was glad I was on the mtn bike. I felt sorry for the CX guys. However, that wold be the worst section of trail all day.

More traversing the hills....lots of this:
    IMG_1543.JPG

More pavement and more trails....we finally got into an area of false flats heading toward Pisgah Peak climb. We were in the midst of a ton of riders at this point. We were climbing, but it looked flat, but didn't feel flat. Portage over a barbed wire fence, and some short punchy climbs led us into some overgrown shin high singletrack. We ended up at Aid Station #4. Another rider came up shortly behind us asking about the snake we supposedly passed on the trail. :eek:

From there it was up to Pisgah Peak....we knew this was going to be a tough climb. It was hot and exposed, and it just kept going up. Think climbing Harding. We did a lot of walking here. At this point though, we stopped seeing riders. The 100K riders bypassed this climb....we figured a lot of the 110m riders took the bypass....at least the ones in the know. Once we reached the peak it was mostly downhill for the next 15 miles or so....a couple of small climbs, but we were finally making up some time and mileage. We would also run back into the 100k riders at one point.

Now we knew that once over Pisgah Peak, that the ride would be theoretically easier. First 50 miles/7500' ascent.....second 50 miles/3000' ascent. It did get easier on the back half of the ride. This is where we hit what felt like most of pavement miles. Since we were behind on time, we did miss out on Aid Station #6 around mile 80 or so.

Steve was low on fluids...I wasn't too worried, I still had almost a full bottle and a 1/4 bottle. I figured we would run across of community park somewhere along the line...but we seemed to be in the middle of nowhere, for quite a while. We did run into an oasis, that just appeared out of nowhere. the last CX rider went by as we were enjoying the cold water from the fountain.

Some fun fast road riding through the hills. We got into some fast flowy winding singletrack...caught up to the last CX rider. About 17 miles out, me Garmin beeped "low battery". I kinda started to push the pace at this point...didn't want the Garmin to die. We popped out on the street at mile 90 and made a left turn...but the finish was just 3 miles to the right. One last loop through more farm land and horse stables. After we passed the donkey, the trail markings stopped...it made it tough to navigate...and the cue sheet was no use. At mile 96 or so we turned onto the dirt at the railroad tracks, but needed to be on the dirt path next to the flood control channel. No problem, there was a whole in the fence. We rolled down to it. I stopped to go over the lower rung, only to lose my balance, fall over and take out a whole section of fencing...damn plastic fencing. :whistling::Roflmao

Finally one last push a few miles back to the start.

Great day on the bike. I knew it was going to be a long day...there is just no way to put those kind of miles in quickly. I thought it would feel easier after last weekends race, but it was still pretty tough.

Congrats to @Faust29 for knocking out his biggest day on the mtn bike...nice job.

According to Strava....we covered 64 square miles.

A couple of points to point out about the event itself:
    1. If registration opens at 6:00....then registration needs to be ready for riders at 6:00. Seemed as though they were still scrambling to get organized at 6:00 while riders were waiting.
    2. Route Slip and GPS route need to match
    3. Course markings....the last 6 miles of the course were not marked at all. There were quite a few turns that needed to be made, and there were no arrows.
    4. Timing for the 100 mile ride needs to be adjusted. We left early and averaged 9.5 MPH....we would have had to do 11 MPH to make it in the time allowed. Aid Station times need to be adjusted as well.

These are all easy things to sort out(I have worked enough events to know that things like this shouldn't happen)

Anyway 100.8 miles / 11,300' ascent

Screenshot (233).png
    Screenshot (234).png

3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Wow... The replacement battery I put in after Catalina last year must be a good one. I ran the HR monitor for the first 7 hours, and still had 30% when I took it off the bike this morning.

The el Mariachi is back to normal with Mountain Kings front and rear. I unloaded the car this morning, and figured I'd get the tire swap out of the way... We are now officially in "Pioneertown mode". :thumbsup:

I forgot about aid station 5... #6 would have been nice, but it worked out with the oasis.

4. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Thanks for the reports guys. It looks as every much as epic as it looked from the Strava links. That's a hell of a day on the bike.

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Wowzah! Long one in the saddle. Congrats on it all.
    I see that "J" was representing... was the caffeine fiend?
    Great pics and write up!

tortoise, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

YEs, he left the salmon jersey in the closet where it belongs. :Roflmao

jaime, tortoise, Cougar and 4 others like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
  8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    THANKS for the detailed write up @Faust29 & @mtnbikej !!! Just got back from cleaning up. A lot of Ritual beer left over, so had to do a little something to help out that situation as well. You two missed the after-party, wish we could have said hi, but I get it that after 12 hours on the bike and another driving, enough is enough!

This ride is the biggest day of the year for me and the other guys and gals that help to put it on! We REALLY hope you had a good time, were challenged, saw something new, met some cool people, and in general had a fantastic day on your bike!!!

Jason, your suggestions are all appreciated! Those are actually some of the shortcomings we're aware of. Basically the people portion of it. The trails ain't going anywhere, but getting the bodies out there to mark trails, confirm routes, staff SAGs and reg, cook the food... well, that's the tougher part.

The route slips were a bit of a problem. Basically Ride w/ GPS auto-generated ones were bogus. We hand-built some in the excel spreadsheet, but being hand-built... well, yeah.

But I SINCERELY hope that those negatives don't outweigh the positives!!! I didn't do a bunch of pictures, as I'm not really myself at the moment :)-( ) but have been scanning instagram trying to see all the posts from participants. We had a guy come in from Switzerland and he loved it! Some really positive feedback from him and others. If you haven't gone through the pics, https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/stradarossa/ and https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/redlandsstradarossa/ are a lot of fun!

Haven't heard from from a few of you that I know were out there, hope you can report back (with pics preferably!). And we are open to critiques as well. The world ain't made of unicorn rainbows, we can handle some criticism!

I hope this can become a regular item on the IMTB user's calendar, and we can get a big group next year! I would LOVE to see you all and ride with you as a group out here, showing those roadies how we do it!!!

9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Hell, I was challenged just reading the course description!!

Cyclotourist, Grego, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Thanks David....

All in all it was a fun day.

Just some small wrinkles to iron out, but surely didn't deter the fun of the day.

11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Looking at his IG pics, looks like he has a pretty good gig traveling the planet and going for bike rides!

Faust29, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  14. OTHRider

OTHRider Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '14 Giant TCX SLR2 Cross Bike
    Awesome job to all those who finished (no, not me).

Compared to last year, I was way more prepared and had pre-run 75% of the dirt on the 100K. The first miles were carefree and I stayed to my pace and let the rabbits run. I pretty much kept in touch with a dozen or so riders. At the water crossing we were caught by some speedsters who were running down to the water while I was carefully (and slowly) picking my line. I tried to politely give a clean route to the speedsters and promptly slipped and twisted my knee - my good "bad" knee. Figured I should try and pedal and keep things loose and surprisingly I felt decent in less than a mile! From the pictures posted, it looks like Bigringrider101 caught me at the next chain crossing - we talked some small talk and he dropped me. The next stretch to SAG #1 went well and I was pleased to see so many riders taking a break (Thank you SAG volunteers - great service!).

The next portion was Crafton Hills and I had ridden my MTB out here 3 or 4 times. I am NOT a strong climber so I was happy I swapped in an 11-40 cassette. Running 36 - 40 I had no problem scooting up 38 Special and found myself shifting down several times. Knee was feeling good and so was I. The nice run down to and including 3 Hawks was so fun. On the last short steep before SAG #2, I pulled over and watched a fellow rider unclip left and lean right - and perform a flawless flop into some shrubbery. He looked quite content. Filling up my bottles I could feel my knee start to tighten up. A few minutes later Colen from STR and four friends pull in. We had crossed paths that morning and it was good to see them again. I decided to ride with them back on the 50K route from the college and was I glad I did. We got about two miles out and my other leg said "FU - I'm not pedaling by myself". I worked out the cramp and from then on it was smooth sailing back to the BBQ.

The IPA was cold and the jambalaya & potatoes were absolutely perfect. I must have been walking pretty badly as a few riders asked if I was OK. Yesterday, the pain really sucked. I did an easy Fully Loop to loosen the knee and then concentrated on staying still, icing the knee and watching basketball. Final for me - 41.8 and 3,866'

Sorry you couldn't ride with us Dave and thanks for keeping us updated on the event.

Cougar, Mikie, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    42/4000 is nothing to sneeze at... That's a good ride any day of the week! :thumbsup:

16. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    IMTBtrails all stars!

Faust29, mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  17. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    I do remember somebody telling me about the "speedsters" at the water crossing but crap I don't remember what bike or what you look like. Sorry and "Hi"

Mikie, Faust29, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Now I'm glad Jason and I hit the water crossing alone. I didn't need any witnesses to my gracefulness... :whistling:

19. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

Name:
    James Matsubayashi
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Great ride reports! I too was just blindly following my Garmin nav screen, and most of the time didn't know where I was. Looking at your reports and photos brought back some memories, but I also don't know what differences there were in the 100K vs your 100M routes during your first half.

@Faust29 I think I'd agree with you on tire choice for next time. I was using this as a build up to the Belgian Waffle, so trying to get used to saddle time on the cross bike. Though it was fun and challenging to ride on this course, I think I'd opt to ride my Fargo with fast rolling 29 tires next time.

20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I find your thoughts on the tires/bikes really interesting! We pre-rode everything with CX bikes/tires, but only chunks at a time. I'm thinking the cumulative distance of the longer courses must lend itself to riding the fatter tires. You don't get so beat up over the hours and also if you do make a mistake with technique due to fatigue, they are more forgiving and easier to recover from. But the other argument is that you're spinning all that additional mass & resistance, which is sucking energy that you're going to need over the miles. Points to be made both ways! The intention is that there is no perfect bike, and everyone is going to be penalized in some manner, either by too heavy a bike, not enough traction, etc.

Marking the trails is the hardest part, as it requires the most man-hours. Especially the 100 miler. I don't know what we're going to do for next year... it's a question of whether we can ever mark that much given our resources. Tough call, really...

FYI, the Strada Sterrata ride in the fall is fully unsupported/unmarked. Not necessarily that much tougher (same trails for most part), but a higher percentage of dirt given the distance. The extra dirt comes in the form of some trails that just can't support nearly 300 people on them, but for 20 or so riders there, it's a blast!

mtnbikej, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  21. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

Name:
    James Matsubayashi
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo 3
    I think the sign of a great mixed terrain ride is when there's some question about what bike or tires would be best. I think I would've had a blast either way, but kudos to all who put the course together.

Faust29, Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  22. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I would agree with that definition!!! :)

mtnbikej and Mikie like this.
  23. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    bigringrider101, mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    That was an enjoyable read... And the last pic does look strangely familiar. :thumbsup:

mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  25. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Dirtville ain't such a bad place!

Faust29 likes this.
  26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Good thing I wasn't the only one walking that section. :thumbsup: :eek:

RedlandStradaHAB.jpg

Nice recount of the ride.

27. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    The bike does look familiar but the fact that it's being "walked" may not be.

28. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    That's the summit of Zanja peak. HAB up, and pretty much off of it to the fire road. Good times!

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  29. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Probably something broken on it.

Faust29, bigringrider101 and mtnbikej like this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Picture slot machine strikes again! This was a great day on the bike...

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.