Ranting about PLBs and stuff again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Nov 21, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hey, dirtpeople,

I don't think I've posted anything on beacons on this site. I just posted this on another web site in a discussion about the guy lost off San Juan recently, and I thought it might spurn someone to tool up. Or at least think about it...

"No knock to (the rescue victim) at all, just shooting for something positive from this:

One more instance where a PLB or SPOT would have expedited locating a rider. They keep popping up as biking gets more popular, and people keep thinking they'll never need one. The "unexpected" is just that. You can't think of the reason you'll need one before it happens. As I learned on this very site, Sh!t just happens for no reason. I never ride solo without one, no matter how well traveled the trail or short the ride. A beacon could also save someone else's life. If you come across a rider with a dire issue out of cel service, your beacon could easily be the difference. Less than three bills...I'm baffled so few see the value.

Redundancy of key items. If planning a late day/night ride, that includes lights. I've had my ass saved by a keychain LED light. Ten bucks, smaller than a wristwatch; throw one in your tool kit and you'll never know it's there. You can at least walk with one. I've also had my cold ass saved by a Bic lighter. With one you can eliminate life-threatening cold with a small warmth fire, make a signal fire, and have a light source (albeit not a great one). Even without butane the flint can signal. Again, you won't notice a small sized lighter in your tool kit.

Any of these items would have reduced this 50-searcher deployment to a self-rescue or at least made the victim much easier to locate.

If you don't have a beacon or SPOT-type device and like to ride solo, go online and review options, then go buy one. PLBs are under 300 with no other costs to register and use the dedicated NOAA frequency. NOAA keeps your info on file, including your normal mode of travel plus details, and two emergency contacts. You update the info every two years. My beacon battery lasts five years, and the unit cost 250. SPOT-type devices cost more and have ongoing cost, but they track your location, unlike a PLB. And you can send text messages from them. The main benefit as I see it, you needn't activate a device for people to look up your location online. The PLB must be activated to transmit your location."

Stay safe out there, and tweak your kit for the season...

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    All good points "mike the bike"!
    Who can argue any of this? I do carry a mini bic lighter and only knew of the "SPOT" and did not desire to incur an annual cost but as the ideology grows more options are coming online.

It's time myself to reconsider a Public Location Beacon.

I have recently heard on this Forum they now come in bacon scent and flavor. I'm totally in on that!

Thanks mike!

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Mmmmm...bacon that can save your bacon!

image.jpg

Sidewalk likes this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Wifey's:

image.jpg

Sidewalk likes this.
  5. surftime

surftime Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    luke
    Current Bike:
    Yelli and a Stump Jumper
    man i need to do this, when i ride its mostly solo. I still dont understand the options. Usually i do have cell service but what if i was knocked out. i need to research it

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Check this out, surf:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ ... acons.html</a>

Ask any questions you like about the NOAA system. I'm no expert, but wiferz and I each have a Bacon and are in the system.

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I'm all about the rescue bacon! No tracking dog can miss you, and it may sustain you through the night.

mike and Sidewalk like this.
  8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Cover all bases, here is the list.

For the dogs, personal beggin strips
    for the stranded, personal bacon
    for the rescuers, PBJ
    for the plane, PLB

mike and Sidewalk like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?