PUSH ACS3 Coil Conversion kit....?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by mtbMike, Aug 15, 2018.

1. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Has anybody installed the ACS3 coil conversion on their bike? Maybe you've ridden a friends bike that has it installed? If so, what did you think?

After riding my Tracer in the park, first at Snow Summit and then in Whistler, I realized I prefer the Tracer over a "proper" DH bike for my non-psycho riding style. Consequently, I want to tweak my Tracer a touch to make it more capable on those bigger hits & drops. However, it still needs to climb which a DH can't do very well as I found out in Whistler.

herzalot, Danmtchl, mike and 2 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Danmtchl, mike and Mikie like this.
  3. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    I do have one in my pike, I can/will elaborate. What fork are you considering putting it in?

Danmtchl, mike and Mikie like this.
  4. Torrent77

Torrent77 Member

Name:
    Dave
    I found that a coil in the rear was more beneficial than a coil for the front. I'm not sure which tracer you have but my old 275 rode much better with a coil shock and an air pike.

Danmtchl and mike like this.
  5. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    I don't generally agree with this, but it is 100% dependent on frame. Fork sag is generally pretty stagnant no matter what type of riding you're doing. IE 20-25%. In contrast, some frames (VPP in particular) have widely different characteristics at 30% sag then they do 35%. Fortunately, the tracer is moderately progressive so it would play well with a coil rear... but if you're trying to use one bike for both enduro style rides, weekday after work rides and also park days... the ability to change your sag point and ramp up is very helpful. That and modern air shocks are impressively linear with the increased negative air spring volume and tuning.

I digress... my impressions of the acs3 can be found here http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/push-acs-3-coil-conversion-kit-1050590-33.html#post13577702

I would do it all over again, however the new debonair air spring and seal head from rockshox does present some interesting options and may reduce stiction.

mike and mtnbikej like this.
  6. ULEWZ

ULEWZ Member

Name:
    Lew
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer Pro Carbon
    I have one on my Tracer (Lyrik 170mm) and also put one on my wife's tracer (Fox 36, 160mm). We both love it. The small bump compliance is way better than any air shock, and do not feel the shock also needs a coil as the forks work so well. If you make the plunge, talk to me about springs. I am 180 lbs and use the Green spring.

7. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Thanks, I have a 2018 Tracer but have been told by Fox that my fork can’t have the 170 ACS kit installed. It can only be 160. I’m not so dissatisfied that I’m going to spen $400 to keep the fork the same. Before I return to Whistler, I’ll splurge for a new fork...or have a new bike by then. :D

8. ULEWZ

ULEWZ Member

Name:
    Lew
    Current Bike:
    According to the Push site, the Fox 36 Float and Talas will work at 170mm from years 2015-2019. Maybe give Push a call or email? Oh, mine is a 2015 Tracer, but with aftermarket fork, and the wife's is a 2015 also, but Fox 36 FIT4. Good luck. You can try mine (medium frame) if ever up north (ride south of Castaic almost every weekend).

9. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    2016 Giant Reign
    I'll throw in a couple alternatives that may help. One is the Vorsprung Luftkappe which I've heard dramatically helps the 36. Had one on my pike and it was great. The other two are an aftermarket avy cartridge or the new fox grip2 damper. The grip2 is pretty insane so far on my 36. Small bump compliance is great as is mid-stroke support. I don't know what it is like compared to the previous iterations of the RC2 or Fit4 though. Hope that helps!

herzalot, Danmtchl, Torrent77 and 3 others like this.
  10. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    I have an email in to PUSH to see what they say but my local suspension shop called Fox directly and they said no go on the model I have.

Not life altering by any means as it was a "want" rather than a "need".

Danmtchl likes this.
  11. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    IMO... your bike, the tracer is more than capable. I'd spend the money on riding lessons first. You can get a 4 hour session for just over $200 w/ Lee Likes Bikes. The knowledge and skill you gain from that will be far more beneficial than a fork upgrade. Learn to ride your bike to it's maximum potential. Once you get there, then start upgrading parts to push it's potential even further.

Danmtchl, Sidewalk and mtnbikej like this.
  12. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I agree with this. I am on the entry level Enduro, which means the least fancy of suspension. Sure, I would like to go coil on it...but I won't. I'll wait until I upgrade bikes farther down the road. But the bike is insanely capable, even with a Yari fork.

herzalot, Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  13. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Yeah, I'll pay somebody to teach me to ride a bike right after I purchase an e-bike. Not saying I can't improve but at my age, I'm more than happy with my abilities. The main thing holding me back is the fear of getting hurt and I don't have a huge desire to start doing big drops or soaring 50 feet thru the air. I was thinking about getting the ACS kit because of how people say it improves the *ride*, not because it makes them a better rider. The suspension shop I use has installed 2 or 3 ACS coil kits and he raves about them. In any case, as I mentioned, it was a want rather than a need so I'll pass for now.

UPDATE: PUSH got back to me and said they can do it after all but I have to change the damper body. They don't sell that part directly to consumers but it's only $25 with no charge for installation when bought with ACS3 kit.

14. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    Never to old to take lessons. Lessons will help you gain more confidence in your riding eliminating the fear you have. I'll be taking some classes soon, just can't decide if I want 2 hours or 4.:bang:

Check it out if you like.... http://www.llbmtb.com/

Sidewalk likes this.
  15. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    I've got the ACS3 in the 2018 Fox 36 RC2 on my Ibis Ripmo. It fixed the stiction/low speed harshness that was bothering me on the stock fork. Small bump compliance is much improved.

Another bonus is never having to worry about equalizing the neg. chamber, suck down, top out knock, pressure drop over time, etc.

The downside is the weight.

mtnbikej likes this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I switched bikes with my buddy for a ride down Rock-It - the best suspension test track in the universe. He has an ACS3 in a 2018 Fox 36, and I have a 2018 FIT4 Factory Fox 36 Blingmaster Supreme. My response was.. meh. It was a little more supple on the small stuff, but no better on the 6" to 12" repeated high speed chop. And he is 25 lbs lighter than me, so his fork was set up accordingly. Certainly did not prompt me to go spend the money.

Maybe the VolkenSchproingerKappenTopper would be a good option to help with moderate repeated trail chop. I have no complaints about my fork on the super small stuff or the bigger, slower compressions such as single drops, g-outs or rock-rollers. Then again, I haven't taken it to Whistler.

As for the rear of my Tracer, it came with a DVO Jade, which didn't work for me at all. Too much bouncy bounce while climbing. If I dialed the rebound up to take care of that, it was overwhelmed on the way down the hill. No coil shock should be overwhelmed on Rock-It. Now, if you don't care about climbing performance, or can find a coil shock with a climb switch, then a coil rear would be a fun option for park and gnar.

17. ULEWZ

ULEWZ Member

Name:
    Lew
    Current Bike:
    Just an update on the ACS3. My wife and I, and my son all have Intense Tracers. I added the ACS3 to mine and my wifes. Rode with my son on Saturday, and I asked him if he wanted to try my wifes bike. He is only 135 lbs, so my suspension was too stiff. After he rode lower Kona, he commented that my wifes bike was superior to his in every way (same year by the way). His comment was the fork was very plush but never bottomed out. He loved the ACS3, but, he won't spend the $400 on his yet.

herzalot and mtbMike like this.