PSA: Water

Discussion in 'Health' started by mike, Nov 4, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Consume it!

Not talking while you ride or beforehand. I'm talking all the other times in addition.

You could be like me and don't seem to ever feel thirsty. Drink water anyway. Kidney damage happens over a long time. I drank almost nothing except coffee and beer for a long time, and it has shown signs of affecting my health. Don't do that! My friend Fire Dave was taken by kidney disease, no doubt his decades of ultra running and survival training didn't help.

It's as easy a habit to get into as it is out of. Bottoms up, to your heath. :)

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    At least 40 oz on work days... something less than that on the weekends, but augmented by hop-flavored fluids.

Mikie, scan, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Hurry! Check out the Picture Slot Machine! There's water in the background!
    upload_2021-11-4_12-44-29.png

4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yeah, behind @SnakeCharmer's bike. It really catches the reflection!

5. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Good reminder @mike . Besides coffee in the morning, all I drink is water. A minimum of 72oz daily, usually more.

You'd be surprised if you did a survey of how much water people drink on a daily basis. It's a lot less than you think. Most consume less than 17oz per day, that's one standard bottle of water. Most headaches are caused by dehydration. It's your body trying to tell you to drink water. But, it's a lot easier to pop a pill to deal with the headache, than to drink more water. You got bad breath?? That is another sign from your body trying to tell you to drink more water. Feeling hungry?? That's usually a sign to drink more water. You're not hungry, you are dehydrated.

"Tilt your head back and now finish the cup" any guesses on the song lyrics???

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    literally just played in my rotation about 15 mins ago.

Mikie, buggravy, DangerDirtyD and 5 others like this.
  7. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    After my morning ice tea, I usually consume 50+ ounces of water per day.

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Admirable awareness, guys. I'm a few decades late. But I just slammed another pint!

Mikie, herzalot, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    The research and results go back and forth, but the latest is that your kidneys can't tell the difference between coffee and water. Or tea and water. As long as you're drinking just coffee and/or tea and not a cup of sugar and cream with a little brew mixed in.

The occasional fortified water (IPA) is okay, too.

I am part camel. Can't change that. I drink less coffee nowadays than I used to, but still 2/3 of a pot (8 cups) every morning. My latest physical (in August) noted that my kidneys and liver are chugging right along, no issues. I'll be 60 next week.

Like many things, it has a lot to do with heredity, conditioning, and heredity. But mostly heredity. Genes will decide almost everything. Almost.

~JB~, Mikie, Redman and 6 others like this.
  10. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I drink about 2.7 quarts of ice tea at work every day. I have a bottle I refill and brew fresh daily. Sometimes I drink more than that.

Then I drink more later. Probably close to a gallon a day.

Mikie, Redman, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've made an effort to dial the coffee back to human levels... 2 double shots in the morning, and maybe one more in the afternoon. Sometimes black, and sometimes with a little Stevia. :inlove: We'll see how long that lasts... This is not the first attempt to cut back.

After the coffee, I have a 16 ounce stainless bottle that I drink from all day most days. With Frog Hollow coming up, I've made sure to drink at least 1/2 gallon each day for the last couple weeks.

Earlier in the pandemic, I had a taste for beer. But, I go in cycles with that, and the 12 pack of Blue Moon I bought in July is still untouched. I threw a few in the cooler for Frog Hollow, but probably won't drink any. I'm more likely to drink an Ensure between laps. :Roflmao

Mikie, Redman, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  12. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I drink so much water its ridiculous. I dont like beer, and rarely drink any kind of alcohol. Cant stand coffee unless its heavily adulterated.
    my one vice is Coke Zero (I know, I know...)

Mikie, Redman, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  13. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Luckily Nana got me in the habit of drinking a lot of water when I was young. I almost never see my parents drink water. Other than a glass of whole milk (with cookies) a couple times a week I virtually drink nothing besides water and coffee, though I do put heavy whipping cream in my morning coffee (midday coffee is black). I also drink a full glass of water as soon as I wake up, before I commence with the coffee. I guess if I think about it, it's a couple large glasses of water in the morning, 2 X 240z Nalgene bottles of water during the day, and another glass or two at night.

Thanks for the PSA, @mike . Chugging a little extra right now because of the reminder.

Mikie, Redman, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Evidently someone is getting the message. Hydroflasks, Yeti bottles and similar are de rigueur everywhere!

Back in my day, no one carried a damn water bottle. Bunch of sissies! We drank gravel!

15. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Is it coincidence this popped up in my social media feed tonight?

084D3640-4161-41F8-BA9B-16C944D0C123.jpeg

16. Walleye

Walleye Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bill P.
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX7
    This is a hard one for me. Like @mike, I don't have much of a thirst reflex, so one H2O bottle's more than enough for a 30-mile ride. I know this is not good, but short of nailing a sticky note on my forehead, I'll forget to drink until I'm back at the car. You'd think 2 rounds with kidney stones (I lost both fights, miserably) would change my habits, but I'm dumber than average. Don't be like me!

17. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    I ended up in the ER by drinking too much water and not keeping an eye out for the sodium and potassium levels.
    It will wash these minerals out of your system.
    I drink water until I pee clear then drink 8 oz every few hrs after. This is a normal day and not on a ride.
    Is Tailwind any good?

~JB~, mtnbikej, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  18. Walleye

Walleye Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bill P.
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX7
    Tailwind's the bomb! One bottle of that, and I'm good to go, food-wise, for a long time riding.

mtnbikej, Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  19. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I drink over a gallon of water a day at work, even in the cooler months. Oddly enough though, I drink 1-2 bottles at the most when I ride.

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Overdoing it isn't fun – I did it once.

I've used TW ardently, but I'm not going to say that it helps the urinary system. I'm wondering if it might do the opposite, so I'm going tochange things up some.

21. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I would say it does the opposite. There isn't enough sodium in it. I would get bad headaches about 2 hours after my rides. Even when taking Tailwind recovery, still got them. Looked at the sodium levels in TW and it's low when you compare it to what daily amounts should look like. Since I only drink water, I wasn't getting enough sodium. I NEVER put salt on anything, NEVER. Talked to my holistic dr. and he suggested adding a tablespoon of Himalayan sea salt added to my nightly routine of vitamins. Did that and haven't had a post ride headache since. Boosting my sodium levels has also helped with my joints not being so stiff after long periods of inactivity.

22. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I rarely thirst. Years ago I forced my self to drink H2O any time I stop either by gravity, or energy. It used to be gravity would force an unclip. Now I bet it will be the latter. I used to keep track on those stops. This is the only time I stop except to watch the sun dip below the horizon.
    Happy drinks on the trail

Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  23. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    LOL, during party sessions I'd drink beer until I pee'd clear then I'd lay off and drink some water for a while until my pee turned yellow again.

Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  24. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I don't know if I am remembering it right. But if I do remember it right, after some research it was determined that no one had ever died from dehydration after completing a marathon, however several deaths have been attributed to over hydration.

Yes, it is a problem.

Cyclotourist, mike and UPSed like this.
  25. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Just to be clear... there's water and then there's "water".

Please don't drink that crappy 8.5 pH alkaline, high sodium, high ammonia Sh!t that comes out of the tap in SoCal and assume you are drinking water. If it kills carp at 10% strength, don't put it in your body. Use it to wash your clothes and maybe (if you like to live dangerously) to wash your dishes. Otherwise drink bottled spring water from a reputable source. Or, failing that, drink distilled water. Avoid "bottled water" product even if it comes from some place like Costco... since it is merely filtered tap water.

If you could see the difference between my crappy Moulton Niguel Water District water and my well water here in NC you'd be here already.

26. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @BonsaiNut preach brother, preach! SoCal water is REAL bad, so is Vegas! bottled isn't far behind. We have full RSO w/ pure water home filter in our home. When we moved here we sent water samples to our holistic dr. He ran tests on them showing all the different toxicities and bacteria's. Real high levels of magnesium and aluminum. And built us a custom home filter w/ RSO. He said our water is as close to pure well water as you can get in the city. The taste difference from is silly. And, our skin holds a lot more moisture now, even in the dry desert. When we lived in California we had RSO filter, no tap water in my household.

27. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
  28. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro

Living water vs dead water. I'll always remember the time that I drank some water directly from a spring on Mt. Shasta. It was an explosion of vitality.

29. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    All I drink is Costco water, so I looked it up ... all sources say it is very to extremely highly rated. Who am I to argue?

I mean, North Carolina hick water sounds tasty and all .... but convenience wins.

30. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    That site is worse than a joke. I can't believe you could be so taken in... unless you yourself are being sarcastic?

The above data is comprised of subjective, user submitted opinions about the water quality and pollution in Mission Viejo, measured on a scale from 0% (lowest) to 100% (highest).

Random opinions of how healthy people think their water is? Based on... nothing?

I remember when I installed my lab grade RO/DI drinking water filter in my house in Laguna Hills and the contractor wondered at why I was so concerned about water quality for drinking and ice cubes. I poured a glass of tap water, poured a glass of the bottled water he was drinking that day, and then poured a glass of our filtered drinking water. Then I broke out my electronic TDS (total dissolved solids) meter to show him the difference. Moulton Niguel tap water: 600+. Bottled water: 110. My filtered water: 4. Maximum contaminant level standard 1000 (the highest level allowed in public drinking water). That is just the barest indicator of water cleanliness, and though some dissolved solids are not harmful, you need to test further to determine the source of those results.

FWIW here is the water quality report for Moulton Niguel Water.

Also... enjoy reading up on chloramine. It's a nice little combination of chlorine and ammonia - and it's in the tap water you drink in SoCal. It burns up bacteria and will kill 36" koi if you top off a 5' deep pond with 6" of untreated water... but apparently won't harm the cells in your body. At least... according to the government, which has done almost no testing.

DangerDirtyD, Redman and Obsidian like this.