PSA: Patagonia kicks A

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Jul 15, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Dropped off four items at Patagonia Outlet in Reno for repair (facility also in Reno). Stuff like damage from mad dogs, resistant cats and campfire drunks. :eek: They do this for free as long as garment is clean.

My fleece zip pullover was older than the employee trying to ID its production date. Zipper finally gave. They tried to fix it in the store but failed, so it had to go to repair. They felt bad about that so they took 40% off the already sale priced stuff I bought.

That fleece could last the rest of my life if I don’t leave it somewhere in a fatigued haze like half the other stuff I’ve lost.

fos'l, Faust29, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Good to read. I like their stuff and try to get it when it's on sale.

fos'l, Faust29, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    On sale and outlet only! :thumbsup:

fos'l, Faust29, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  4. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I’m all for Patagonia products! Thanks for the repair reminder :thumbsup:

fos'l, Faust29, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  5. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Nice products and great customer service. And they support the outdoors. But also remember they support groups like the Wilderness Society and Sierra Club who continuously try to kick MTBs off trails.

da big hills, fos'l, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    So are they actively playing both sides? This came into my inbox this morning: https://www.patagonia.com/mountain-biking.html#lifeofpie

7. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I wouldn't characterize it as playing both sides at all. I think Patagonia is genuine in caring for the environment and supporting groups who work to protect it.

The problem is many of these Wilderness/HOHA groups are not entirely forthcoming when communicating their mission. You will never see them publicly mention kicking bikes off public lands as a goal in their documents or their marketing. They know full well this would be bad PR because a lot of the public either ride bikes or view cycling as a healthy, environmentally friendly activity. So instead they focus on the warm and fuzzy "we need to protect this beautiful piece of pristine land forever" approach. 'Cuz who doesn't want that? The public, businesses like Patagonia, and politicians do. And who can really blame them. I want these places protected too but think reasonable bike access is no more harmful than hiking. Wilderness/HOHA groups consider kicking bikes out to be an important part of "protecting" pristine lands. So for their staff and hateful old hiker supporters kicking bikes off forest land is a convenient byproduct of Wilderness designations.

Unfortunately by supporting wilderness and HOHA groups, companies like Patagonia are indirectly helping reduce bike access. Something to think about as a mountain biker when deciding where to spend your money.

8. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I read this article the other day, and @evdog San Juan post about mining being allowed in Wilderness while bikes are not reminded me to post this up here:

https://www.patagonia.com/stories/why-wilderness-matters-more-than-you/story-90114.html

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    On sale, outlet, and I'll add "used from REI". They have a grading system, so you know what you're getting...

10. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Love their stuff (in fact tell my relatives etc to procure for gifts, but not their "stances" except where they relate to Wilderness protection.

11. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    My heart was nearly broken by the sad sad tale. Most people crowd onto the same trails, John Muir, ever heard of it? Meanwhile many trails now are fading into the dust. Pt Mugu Hidden Pond trail, crowed out until the fire. The trails I ride on I only see a few tire marks, I wonder if some are mine. It seems common sense management could solve the problem vs the 1 size fits none that we use today.
    And if you want to poach make sure your bike is stealthy, those doe's jump and run when the finally see your movement. Poaching is best done in the late afternoon most campers are taking that afternoon nap that way you cannot be boxed in by deputy Do Da. Shy away from groups, they talk too much, stop too much and leave too many tracks.
    I don't poach but if I did.........
    Happy empty trails

Have you ever sat on the top of Bryce and dreamed, me too.

12. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro

:thumbsup: :) :inlove:

mike likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?