Proflex 857 - Front fork upgrades? Looking for 100-120mm

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by John Grey, Sep 13, 2020.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. John Grey

John Grey Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    John Grey
    Current Bike:
    1997 Proflex 857 + upgrades
    Hi all,

New to the site, was looking to upgrade my 20+ year old Girvin Vector Crosslink Elite with the NR2. I know it has 3" of travel and was looking for something with 100-120mm of travel. I don't mind swapping out the fork with something newer but it's really hard to find canti v-brake setups in this modern day.

Any suggestions on what would work? I remember back in the day my friends ran manitou and marzocchi forks which felt really good when I tried them. I think they were running 100mm back then in the early-mid 2000s.

Thanks in advance,

John

P.S. I don't want to switch to a Risse racing setup up front since it decreases the travel to 2.5" which seems backwards for what I'm looking for.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower; Revel Rail
    I don't think what you are seeking is possible, but I will let others chime in. Your first limit will be the 1 1/8 straight steer tube - or whatever it is. Second will be brake bosses. You will likely need to go to a front disc brake. Third will be radical geometry changes (but that might actually work out well on that bike). 4th is - will the frame handle the loads?

I guess search for an early 2000s fork on e-bay. Cantilever brake bosses disappeared around 2002.

3. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5 & Ibis Ripley
    Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  4. John Grey

John Grey Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    John Grey
    Current Bike:
    1997 Proflex 857 + upgrades
    Nvm, just going to stick with my current Vector fork, since finding a 1 inch steerer tube diameter fork is almost impossible now a days. I read an older thread with somebody that had the Proflex Beast trying to go the same route.

I guess I'll dig up my spare NR2 to make sure I have a spare just in case this current front or rear NR4 goes out. I've been pretty lucky keeping both in great shape having rebuilt them in the mid-2000s.

5. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    Pretty sure you don't need a 1"steerer, the frame will take 1 1/8" fork and headset. Measure up your headtube, if its 34mm (internal) then you can put a 1 1/8 on it. Straight 1 1/8 forks with canti bosses still come up occasionally on places like evilbay and at very reasonable prices as no-one wants them.
    Personally I'd be looking at converting the shocks and keeping the fork. I've seen people switch to run modern air shocks front and rear (using an adapter at the top of the chainstay). I keep toying with the idea but its quite a bit harder on my fork than yours, mine has the top pivot in a different spot with much reduced width.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?