Prescott vs. Sedona Family Vacation - Soliciting Feedback!

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Cyclotourist, Jul 6, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Tags:
  1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    We're putting together plans for Thanksgiving, and are thinking of an extended family reunion in either of the above. I've been to Sedona once about 20 years ago, but the rest I know is via ride reports! Which place would you suggest for family stuff, knowing that there six kids, elderly grandparents, a grumpy dry-alcy uncle, and two nuclear families that don't have a whole bunch in common. We would prefer a place with plenty of natural wonder to explore, and hey, I'm bringing my bike... just sayin'. A nice downtown that is tourist-friendly is a plus. Also as it's going to be in late November, which is less likely to be under two feet of snow?

Thanks!

herzalot, UPSed, mike and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    For selfish reasons I want to say Prescott. But I fear there will be more to do in Sedona. :oops:

herzalot and Cyclotourist like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I've found a better place in Prescott, if that counts for anything!

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sedona is a tourist trap. Prescott actually feels like a town. You can get to Sedona from Prescott pretty easily.

5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Even though I love Prescott and it will be my future home, this is easy....Sedona. The "natural wonders" are as good as it gets in my opinion, especially great for mountain bikers and hikers. I've never done one but I've sent several no MTB'ing people on Jeep tours while I go ride and they all rave about the experience. There's a better variety of shopping and restaurants as well. The negatives of Sedona are it's pricier and it will be more crowded and traffic can get ugly when the crowds show up.

Preskitt is not as scenic for sure but it still has plenty of beauty, more similar to Big Bear in my opinion with the pine forests. There are MTB & hiking trails everywhere including Lynx Lake and Watson Lake over in the Granite Dells area. You could always do a day trip to Sedona but I'd highly recommend going to Jerome for a day as well...cool mining history and a very unique town.

* Neither place is going to get 2 feet =of snow barring armageddon. Prescott gets an average of 21-22" all year and what does come down is usually gone within 6 hours.

Watson Lake
    fullsizeoutput_53f.jpeg
    Goldwater Lake area trail in Prescott
    IMG_2099.JPG
    Thumb Butte area trail 2 miles from downtown Prescott
    IMG_2708.JPG

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Wow, that just sounds like too much fun! Why on earth would you want to go out and ride?

Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.
  7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    No urban nightlife in Sedona. The uncle might enjoy or loathe Whisky Row.

Cyclotourist and mtbMike like this.
  8. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    While the marketing would suggest otherwise, with the exception of The Palace on Whiskey Row, that block is such a disappointment vs what it could/should be. Other than The Palace, all the bars on Whiskey Row are just run of the mill dive bars you'd see in Any City USA and lack any character whatsoever. Downtown Jackson Hole, Breckenridge ( last time I went) and even tiny Virginia City have more character but I admit Prescott has done a great job marketing WR. I'm a quality margarita drinker and much prefer going out in Uptown Sedona.

DangerDirtyD and Cyclotourist like this.
  9. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Making memories, right!

DangerDirtyD likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?