Pre-Riding Ride for Rwanda

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Runs with Scissors, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    @Faust29 and I - and was supposed to be @Danmtchl but he had a mechanical before he got there - went out to pre-ride the Ride for Rwanda 25 mile route. I'd never been on it - I've ridden the Caspers loop before.

So we headed out, not a blaze-fest but moving, and had an uneventful 11 miles to where the big aid station would be. This is where the 50 miler heads up into Caspers. We decided to do a few miles into Caspers and then take the singletrack back. The singletrack is almost no-track in sections.

20170310_112859.jpg

The ride was pretty tame. Steve tells me after the Caspers section that "this is a stroll to finish." Uh huh...

20170310_132448.jpg

The water crossings were insane. It's pretty torn up and will need some work prior to the event, or it will get pretty clogged.

I only took these couple of pictures, I was having fun. Even the water crossings weren't bad. They were wet, though - one of them left no choice but to just jump in. About ankle deep. :) Water wasn't too cold, though.

I had a great time, Steve as usual is a great tour guide. Hope @Danmtchl can make it out for another try before the event.

upload_2017-3-10_16-10-23.png

Mikie, pperrelle, Voodoo Tom and 5 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    Yep... I rolled downhill from the house, and met Mark near Taco Plaza #2 off of Aventura in RSM. Not exactly the Rwanda starting point, but pretty close... @Danmtchl had some issues, and didn't make it. Bummer... :thumbsdown:

Mr. Scissors and I rolled out about 9:00 onto the paved path at the end of Aventura, and dropped down onto the Arroyo Trabuco Trail in O'Neill, and proceeded to dodge cantaloupe sized rocks for the next couple miles. :thumbsup: After the rocks, the trail mellowed back out and we continued to O'Neill proper. I usually refer to the picnic area as O'Neill proper. What most people don't realize is that pretty much the entire Rwanda 25 is in O'Neill...

We made our way up Live Oak, and saw three other riders, one single speed and a couple on big suspension bikes with pads. It was already mid 70s by this point, and I knew it would get toasty before we were done. o_O I may have played "chase the rabbit" for a time with the other single speed. I can't help it sometimes. It's a disease. :whistling:

The Rwanda ride is going to use the cheater drop-in for the Vista DH, but Mark and I went to the top of Vista Point before dropping in, so I could point out the Bell Trail, Lower Joplin, Caddilac, STT, etc... The Vista DH is overgrown with shoulder high weeds! It was insane... in a good way. :thumbsup:

Up Twisty Tire, up the Mesa Trail, a quick detour to the RSM lake, and onto Plano Trabuco to the Dove Waterfall. I explained to Mark that we could do some of the 50 extra credit as an out and back, which he was eager to do! So, we ended up going out to the second cattle gate. There are also quite a few ruts and washouts out there... Then we had some fun going off course and playing on the single tracks. :whistling: We also baked. As always, the ridge was 10 degrees hotter than in RSM... Upper 80s today. Thankfully, the water at the park was pretty cool. :thumbsup:

RSM Lake Detour
    IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

Extra Credit from the 50 mile route...
    IMG_2822.jpg

Starr Ranch...
    IMG_2823.jpg

Off the Script...
    IMG_2825.jpg

After our detour on the Bell View Trail, I showed Mark where the big aid station will be, and we headed out on the Tijeras Creek Trail. The Coto climb went by quickly, as did the Chiquita Ridge. The descent off the ridge, however, was pretty much destroyed at the bottom, and there was actually flowing water in spots. o_O

The single track to Canada Vista was in good shape, and Mr. Scissors flew... I tried to keep up, but it's just too flat for the single speed... :thumbsup:

Drop down, under the Oso Parkway Bridge and over to Waterworks. Waterworks is in great shape... The mystery maintainer is doing a lot of work and making some lasting improvements. :thumbsup:

Out onto the Arroyo Trabuco Trail for what I thought was going to be an easy spin back to the beginning... Yeah, right. The trail was to the far right in the picture. It's now under 4 feet of sand and rock. Not sure how they're going to fix that.

IMG_2826.jpg

Um. Wher'd all the rocks come from?
    IMG_2828.jpg

Used to be an easy crossing. Now we need a bridge.
    IMG_2832.jpg

We both made it. I had my finger on the "video" button. Just in case... :whistling:
    IMG_2834.jpg

The water used to flow about 50 feet further ahead... This has all been carved out, and the old trail height can be seen on the bank on the far side of the crossing. It's a good 4 feet above the water now.
    IMG_2830.jpg

Wet feet on this one... Again, the creek is in an entirely new spot.
    IMG_2840.jpg

We made it back, and opted not to do the last water crossing section on the course... We had enough water by that point. We opted to stay on the main trail and head for the finish line!

And we ended with tacos... And a burrito for me at el Fenix Carniceria- Thanks for that one! :thumbsup:

I have ridden this route, and a 100 variations too many times to count. When I ran gears, it was my go to quickie loop. It's nice to ride with someone who's seeing it for the first time... :thumbsup:
    Untitled 2.jpg

Mikie, UPSed, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I just rembered this...the guy we saw coming up the hill to the first gate on Caspers. He had to be in his 70s, and I'd bet he was in his 80s.

On his mtb. Keeping in shape and having a good time.

I want to be like him in 30 years.

Mikie, UPSed, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Pic slots.....that was a fun ride. Need to do it again now that it's cooler.

Mikie, UPSed and Faust29 like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    There aren't many rocks down there anymore... :thumbsdown: A few of the crossings are still wet and sandy, but that's about it...

Mikie, UPSed and Runs with Scissors like this.
  6. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, it was pretty tame last April on the Rwanda ride. Still not a bad route.

Mikie, Faust29 and UPSed like this.
  7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    My first thought was training for the 75 mile 7k route. Stupid pic slot machine. :mad:

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    There's always the 100... once forward and once backwards. :D

Hmmmmm... :whistling:

Mikie, UPSed and Runs with Scissors like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

:gag:

Faust29, Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.