Possible move to Brea area - LOTS of questions please.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt, Feb 22, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Matt

Matt Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    S-Works HT
    Contemplating a move from CO to the Brea area. Have a job opportunity but it will close fast. Trying to do as much research as I can to make a decision. I am extremely passionate about bikes/riding so that is my #1 research topic and one of the largest deciding factors. Where I currently live I have access out my door to over 40 miles of some of the best single track in the state and I participate in the great XC racing scene as well. Currently focusing on 50+ mile events (Leadville, Breck Epic stage race, etc) as well as dabble in some shorter course (Winter Park Series). I also race Cross and like to train on the road with some good climbing.

SO.......
    1. If my office is in the Brea area, where would you live if you could choose? I would rather not have to drive 1hr to and from work as another consideration.
    2. What is the MTB racing scene like? Are there races close by? Teams to join?
    3. Any other advice?
    4. I am sure that what we could afford for housing limits the answers to #1, so anything south of $1M is doable.

Appreciate the advice in advance
    Matt

~JB~, Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hi Matt! I moved from the CO to the OC back in 1999.

Brea borders the World Famous Fullerton Loop (or FLoop for short). This trail system will make the Colorado Trail and the area around Breckenridge seem like riding in a hobo mud bog! I may be exaggerating a bit. OK a lot. There really is a Fullerton Loop, but it's just an urban network of hardpack trails (with some entertaining side hits). Better than nothing.

But fear not, there is amazing riding both in Orange County and in Los Angeles (San Gabriel Mts.). If you like long slogs, the Santa Ana mts. offer long fireroad climbs with some entertaining and some extreme descents. We lost a lot of it to the Holy Fire two years ago, however.

Laguna Beach and surrounding areas (Newport Beach, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Hills, Irvine) have easy access to two wonderful wilderness parks with some very challenging descents - the kind that makes its way into industry video and photo shoots and testing ground for a lot of pros. Aliso and Wood Canyon Wilderness Park (Aliso) and Laguna Coast Wilderness Park (LCWP).

Central Orange County (Orange, Villa Park, Anaheim, Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda) provide easy access to Santiago Oaks Regional Park, which has entertaining mt bike trails, almost the quality of Aliso and Laguna. Also Chino Hills State Park - smooth singletracks and fireroads.

As for a robust XC racing scene, there's the Over the Hump series all summer on Wednesdays I think. There's the winter series XC, DH and Enduro races in Fontana January-March where pros show up to stretch their legs. There's more within an hour or two. Big Bear has XC race series - about 90 minutes away from central Orange County.

Others can chime in, as I am sure they will.

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I think that where you actually live now is the most determining factor. If it’s west Denver metro then I’d say your quality of life will be about the same or less near Brea. If you live in a cool place, or even a reasonably cool place, I would not give it up for SoCal.

Vague enough? I’ve spent loads of time in CO the last few years and 20 in OC. The details really matter.

You said riding... If your riding is like Green Mtn then you have little to lose, but if you want Buffalo Creek quality then you’ll be driving an hour or two to San Gabriels, Noble Canyon in San Diego, etc. Notwithstanding, Laguna and Newport beaches have small-ish areas that have challenging ST. Can’t help you with the racing scene, I ride everything not caring about time.

@herzalot also is a CO expat, he’ll have an opinion. (PS :laugh:)

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I agree with @mike - where you lived in CO and what you are used to makes a difference as to where you will tolerate or enjoy in OC. If you like the resort towns of CO, you will need to stay coastal here in OC to get that feel (Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, San Clemente). And that will cost you a boatload of ducats. If you are used to suburban cul-de-sac living, or apartment/condo life, there are far more options.

PS - If you want your commute to Brea to be less than an hour, don't look any further south than Mission Viejo - and even that might be pushing it. I commute from south Laguna Beach to Placentia (a little closer than Brea, but same general area) and it takes me 40 minutes.

5. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Interesting as many have moved out of so cal now we have one moving in! Nice!
    I know nothing about racing so have little to offer. Although I did buy my place with mtb trails within riding distance as the determining factor in location. And as much as I'd like a more rural area to live, it won't work for my work gig.
    They riding might not be as good as many areas, but Year Round Riding for the Win!

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Year round riding is certainly a plus for SoCal. Year round riding out your door, tho, is mainly at the beach. Mainly, I say... night missions, dawn patrol, depletion training...

@Matt, I gave the gist of your topic to my wife. Her first words: where does he live now? :geek:

7. Matt

Matt Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    S-Works HT
    Thanks for all the replies so far....keep 'em coming please. :)

I live in Morrison, CO (home of Red Rocks Amphitheater), west of Denver right in the foothills. The neighborhood is Willow Springs and the trails out my door are private so no front range traffic. I am sure i won't find the same in CA, as I have said I could never leave here as a result (will plan on keeping house here as job may only be for 2-3 years; hence the thought of taking a risk to see how year round good weather feels).

Green Mountain is ridden only in the spring as it is the first to thaw/dry....otherwise a little too tame and short for me. Looking for somewhere I could ride for 3+ hours on single track (preferred).

For those familiar, yes Buff Creek, Winter Park (XC not chairlift), Apex, Breckenridge. Mostly 100mm type terrain.

Doing a fatbike race tomorrow in the snow........won't miss that i don't think, but all we got at this time of year!

Thanks again

8. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Stay in CO!! That's my advice. If you decide to move, you'll be going further than 2 hours to get Buffalo Creek quality. Also, I'd personally live as close to work as possible. I know that the Denver metro area has blown up as well but traffic out here is stupid crazy, the #1 reason I quit working the first day I could. Then again, I hear horror stories about Front Range traffic so it may be a wash.

9. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    What will your work schedule be? Your Commute to office during rush hour may offset some of the from-the-garage trail riding quality and dictate where you settle. Yorba Linda and Anaheim Hills would offer good commute to work, and you can ride from your house to chino hills state park trails and dirt roads and fire road connection to Weir Cyn Trails and eventually the Santa Ana Mtns. That’s XC terrain mostly.

If you are interested in steeper, rockier, technical trails with exposure, Alta Dena is the place to live. Miles and miles and miles of options From your garage, but Your commute would suck from there.

Use the traffic feature on Google Maps to observe the traffic patterns on freeways during typical weekdays. It might take you an hour to drive 16 miles in So Cal, and you can ride your road/commuter bike that far in the same amount of time. The transit feature will show you Metrolink rail routes to Fullerton than you may utilize in conjunction with a commuter bike to get to work from south Orange County.

Again, your work schedule would play a role. Train schedules follow rush hour trends.

scan, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  10. Matt

Matt Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    S-Works HT
    Weather is the #1 thing pulling me to CA.
    My commute is pretty good considering what you said above is true. East/West along 6th Ave takes me about 25-30 to get to/from work (almost downtown).

Ideal, based on what I could expect, is 30-40 min commute and same for good riding in CA. Bonus is being able to ride to work (possibly on e-bike of too far....not trying to start that thread here :) ), and to get a drink and such on the weekend via bike. The riding to work would be the first to go on this wish list though

asking a lot i know.

11. Matt

Matt Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    S-Works HT
    Thank you for the info.
    I did just buy a gravel bike so maybe that can be my new focus.....sounds like the areas you described above could make that work as well.

Not 100% sure on my schedule. Will discuss when i visit the office late next week. My ideal would be to leave the house around 8-8:30 and come back around 6pm or so

12. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Brea/Yorba Linda would be close to work which might be the prime directive. You'd have Floop for a daily maintenance dose, probably riding distance to CHSP, 30 minutes or so on not insane traffic times to Puente Hills (absolutely devastating riding after CO :eek:), Marshall Cyn and then beyond the world is your oyster.

Resistance is futile. Come be absorbed by the hive.

scan, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  13. Matt

Matt Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    S-Works HT
    Not following what you are saying here
    (and thanks for the response)

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Damn. Morrison is tough to beat. Small town feel. Dakota Ridge right there. Easy access to I-70 before the maddening herd...

I lived in Edgewater - near Sloan Lake. Easy escape on 6th ave freeway. I also played golf at Willow Springs a lot. My dad lived in Genesee and that was his home course.

I disagree with others that you have to drive two hours to get Buffalo Creek style challenges. Aliso and LCWP have plenty of steep, feature filled chunk (although some of it is off menu). But steep chunk doesn't sound like what you are seeking. Your best bet is to get out here and do some recon to see what you like, then figure out where to live based on that. Since you didn't mention schools and safe neighborhoods for kids I am guessing you are not relocating with offspring.

Just go for a few rides with @mtnbikej. Sounds like you like the same kinds of rides? Or @Sidewalk - he is our resident XC racer.

scan, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  15. Matt

Matt Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    S-Works HT
    good points.....no kids as you smartly deduced.

Yep....live on that golf course. Sounds like you know what i am used to so i really appreciate your input.

Just booked plane ticket for next Friday-Monday (noon). May rent a bike while there if anyone wants to ride :)

Chunk is a good change of pace as well.....just more used to racing on XC style

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    We got yo chunk...

Car Wreck Drop with Bike.JPG

scan, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  17. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    He seems more spandexy than wanting to deal with that type chunk. :laugh:
    Them’s just jokes.

Seriously though ... Yorba Linda and Brea are ridiculously hot in spring and summer compared to coastal OC. Might as well buy in Corona. If he can afford anything south of a million, move much closer to the coast.

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Forget about OC. We were in S. Golden and Evergreen. My buddy and family in Conifer. It all sucks in its own small ways, but for riding awesome terrain and trails, and if you ride em in winter (and/or do winter sports), you're a fool to continue this relocation folly. Just my measured opinion. :cool:

Herzie...quality, not challenge. Granted, everyone's idea of quality is different. I don't think of blown-out beach dirt with armies of cidiots and poaching for anything decent or inland loose choss and mandatory fire roads as quality, though I rode the shyt out of all of it and loved it all. Challenges, plenty to be found I agree. But quality? Doesn't move my meter too far. YMMV.

19. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    This better be a doggone good job offer.

20. Matt

Matt Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    S-Works HT
    Guilty!

21. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    giant tongue in cheek

22. Ryan M

Ryan M Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Ryan McCraclem
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Fuel EX8 29
    Just north of Brea; Glendora, La Verne or Claremont could all be very close to what you are looking for. The commute would be a straight shot south on the 57 freeway to Brea on one of the few sections of So Cal freeway that doesn't have crazy traffic. 30 minutes in early am. 40 if you hit the rush hour.

Nice communities, right at the base of the mountains. Out your door is Marshall Canyon, Monroe Truck Trail and Bonelli park. 30 minutes west, Mt. Wilson and surrounding areas. An hour or less east is Wrightwood with 40+ miles of alpine trail.

There are also a few great bike shops in the area.

OC is way over rated, has rush hour traffic on friggin satudays and is ridiculously expensive.

23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    If the weather and riding is the draw, take a month of your Front Range winter and ride in S. CA/AZ. That would be way more productive than having to live in the godforsaken sprawl of SoCal. NTTAWWT; do what you gotta do.

Just the network of riders on this site alone could keep you busy for a month from your BnB or van.

24. Matt

Matt Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    S-Works HT
    Hmmmmmm......this is starting to sound promising. Commute is good.

Assuming these trails have some distance and climbing. Also appears to be higher in elevation and lower temps?

scan, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  25. Matt

Matt Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    S-Works HT
    YES!!!
    Plan A for retirement.....but gotta get these next 2-3 years done first. Already have the Sprinter! Just waiting to get full use.

26. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    The weather is great, but I bet that job in Brea is indoors...the riding in OC is good enough, but we’re sharing a very small space with 20 million people. The upside of that: you will absolutely be able to find your people, whoever those people are.

27. Ryan M

Ryan M Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Ryan McCraclem
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Fuel EX8 29
    Climbing alll over. All of these trails are in the foothills or mountains, so you're either climbing or descending. Marshall has 20+ miles and easily 3000+ feet of gain if you take the right routes. There are also dozens of other, lesser known trails that I didn't mention for you to explore.

As far as temps go...definitely not as low as coastal areas. You will have multiple 100 degree days in the summer. Mt. Wilson and Wrightwood, and not too far away, Big Bear; will all be 20 to 30 degrees cooler.

scan, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  28. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Good to know your time horizon...rent a condo in Newport Coast or Laguna or Aliso Viejo or Laguna Niguel. Newport has the best commute for you. You are looking for something near ridge park road...

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Pelican Hill...

DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.
  30. Matt

Matt Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    S-Works HT
    Where we riding around these parts?

DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?