PODSACS Bags?

Discussion in 'Bikepacking' started by kingaucho, Feb 24, 2018.

1. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    mike likes this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    No experience with those, but first inclination is they will be weighty, considering the material used. Burly laminate materials and welded seams are the bomb for durability and weatherproofness, IME. Some climbing haul bags use similar construction.

Over a pound for the seat pack seems like a lot for 8.5l capacity. Revelate Viscacha weighs under a pound and has double the capacity. I think the laminate material is overkill for the application. Anything that has to stay dry will generally be in it's own sub-bag. Something like https://www.rei.com/product/884265/loksak-opsak-odor-proof-barrier-bags-12-x-20-package-of-2 will last many trips and works perfectly. Plastic trash bag works in a pinch.

Of course if your goal is to spend as little as possible, this is all academic. I suggest used bike bags – they come up for sale pretty regularly. Bikepacking.net and PB classifieds. Have fun tooling up :thumbsup:

littlewave and kingaucho like this.
  3. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    It's probably made in the same factories that make Specialized or blackburns' stuff. On-One provides some good value and their stuff doesnt usually fall apart.

kingaucho and mike like this.
  4. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    Buy a quality bag if you can afford one. There are alot of quality makers that offer different price points, like Blackburn. I personally have Revelate stuff.

mike, kingaucho and littlewave like this.
  5. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Thanks for the input, guys.

mike likes this.
  6. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Unless you're sure you'll really get into it, I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on bikepacking gear just yet. That price isn't bad, but you can start out a lot cheaper with a simple compression sack from REI and a couple nylon straps to strap it to your handlebars. Then use a backpack you probably already have with enough capacity to carry whatever else you need. Try that on some easy overnight trips and maybe something a bit longer. It will give you a good idea if you're into doing more and longer trips, and what you might want to upgrade to.

The kit looks cool and as Mike said possibly on the heavy side, but if you decide to buy it you also need to make sure all those bags will play nice with your bike. Does your seatpost have enough exposed length to work with that seatbag? Do you want to be able to use a dropper? Does your bike have enough exposed stem to attach the top tube bag? You can get cheap top tube bags from Planet Bike for $15-20 that work well. Will the frame bag fit your frame? I had to sell a similar one because it didn't work with my new hardtail. It is only a good deal if you will be able to use the bags. Things like top tube bags and feed bags are a good investment because you can use them for normal riding if you don't want to carry a pack, or to add volume/convenience.