POD, what’s next?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, May 23, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Koko and AZT post-orgasmic depression can’t last forever, guys. Regale me with some big plans. Summer’s around the corner. You guys gonna staycation the rest of the year?

Two riders in this site are exempt. I’ll see them at the Jewel of the Sierra in September. :thumbsup:

I got nothing right now. Vertical adventures are distracting while snow melts. Help me out here...

2. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Headed to Oregon in July......Oakridge, Olallie/Kings Castle, Bend, Sandy Ridge & Ashland :D

Maui in August but doubt I'll ride there as we're taking a Hawaii virgin so we'll be bouncing all over the place so she can see everything. :cool:

Previously mentioned Jewel of the Sierra in September :thumbsup:

Durango in October :whistling:

herzalot, Voodoo Tom, -ROCKY- and 8 others like this.
  3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Maui question for you. I've been there a couple times, and have been told by my friend and the bike shop that there really isn't any mtb there due to the island being almost all private property. Lot of road riding though, but sketchy with the lookey loo tourists.

So, do you know of any mtb in Maui?

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Okay, nobody else needs to say anything. @mtbMike is vacationing enough for this whole crowd. :eek::thumbsup: That’s what I’m talking about!!!!!

My old climbing bud Mark is funny. After our last route he says he can’t take anymore time off to climb. Then he asks all these questions about updating his gear... :cautious::geek:

My current conditions dictate surgical strike tactics over my normal casual pace. No bivouac, cimbing through other parties at night etc. Sound like fun? :inlove: It is when the sun comes up, harness comes off and no giant load of shite to carry down :)

Mikie, Voodoo Tom, -ROCKY- and 5 others like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    July is Big Bear for me maybe again in August. Gonna try to sneak up to SLO at least once in between there somewhere. Bike will be with me for all three escapes. I rarely leave the confines of Cali, we got it all here including high taxes...

Mikie, Voodoo Tom, -ROCKY- and 7 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I got nothing... I thought I was going to get an Oregon road trip in the next couple weeks, but junior has worked it out so he can fly home this time. Good for him, bad for my plans to bring a bike along. :thumbsdown:

September is far more likely, and I'll be able to eke out 2 or 3 days of riding this time, as opposed to my normal one day. Maybe I can convince another forum member to stow away in the truck. :p

7. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    There's *some* stuff over there that's legal to ride in the recreation areas but it's obviously limited to what we have over here. I personally have only ridden Skyline which is off the backside of the Haleakala volcano and it's more of a cruise on a volcanic fire road up top and then drops into a pine forest of sorts farther down. It's kind of a pain because tour companies can't legally do the ride so you have to have somebody drive you all the way up to the top. It's a great way to ride something different though and the views are out of this world.

As I mentioned, I haven't ridden these but check Makawao and Kula areas. I wanted to ride on my last trip but the "shop" I went to was pathetic and had no modern bikes to ride. This is over in Makawao https://www.trailforks.com/video/10381/

8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I do recall watching a video from Pete fagerlin, petefagerlin.com back in the early 2000's of him taking a ride from the top of Haleakala across volcano, forest, etc down to the sea. Looked for the vid, but appears like the site is mostly dead.
    Think lower part he rode is the same/similar as the Pineapple Express you posted, but with a lot of improvement since then.

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Steve, if you have to sick around, I expect to be reading about some zilla-style midnight assaults on the megacircuits. Easy...just think, no waking up and riding all day the next day! :D:thumbsup:

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Funny, I was just thinking about that for the upcoming weekend. It’s been a while.

11. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I'll be doing a few trips to the Sierras this summer to scout more of this route: https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/huge-and-in-development.8329/

Was going to head up that way this weekend but weather is not looking favorable for anything at elevation or up north.

No specific plans aside from that. Maybe a week long fall trip to CO or MT. I usually take extra days at Thanksgiving to get a full week off. AZ is the usual destination but I might switch it up for Moab or elsewhere if conditions allow.

It's about time for a nighttime Palm Canyon run. Want to start off the top of Santa Rosa though. Set it up to be up top mid afternoon when its warm below, descend into sunset and do the lower elevation parts in the dark.

Mikie, Voodoo Tom, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I’m jonesin' for a trip to St. George!
    I want to hit up a long weekend up there especially since it is only 6 hours away!
    Every other week I have Friday's off. Would plan to drive after work on a Thursday and hit the trails on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning and drag my butt back on Sunday night to recover at work on Monday. Hee hee!

13. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    In September I am road tripping to Whistler with my LBS owner. We are hitting up bucket list rides along the way. Haven't planned it out fully yet, but thinking Tahoe Rim Trail, Bend Oregon, Seattle Washington, North Shore BC. Then pulling into Whistler Sept 4-9. Then driving straight home to get back to work.

Fijirob, herzalot, Mikie and 13 others like this.
  14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Ultimate West Coast MTB holiday!!!

I'll be fitting in day trips to Seven/Angelus Oaks and Big Bear, which are the typical local outings in the summer. The family usually goes up to Marin, then Bend and/or PDX every summer with multiple bikes. This year we're taking a trip to Boston/Mont Vert. Bikes don't meet the carry on requirements, so there won't be any big summer trip out of the area. Will still be spending a couple weeks in San Clemente, so maybe I could use that as a jumping off point for riding in coastal O.C.

I'd love to go on some group trips to St. George/Hurricane and Prescott to do some riding this fall, so if that gets added to the IMTB family calendar, I'm tentatively in!

Mikie, -ROCKY-, Voodoo Tom and 7 others like this.
  15. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I’ll be hitting up the neighborhood parks for some swings and slides.B2C25D2A-3C0D-45D5-A731-9EA7F0A547F7.jpeg
    11B4D639-C036-44B6-B0F9-03DC28CFE234.jpeg

herzalot, Mikie, -ROCKY- and 12 others like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Best post in the thread... :thumbsup:

——————————

Man... Saint George is so close. Mikie says 6 hours, but it’s been 5 flat for me each time.

Hmmmmmmm...

Fijirob, Mikie, -ROCKY- and 9 others like this.
  17. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    So ... @Mikie will be an hour late.

Faust29, Mikie, -ROCKY- and 6 others like this.
  18. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Son wants me to do the Whole Enchilada with him in September. Hope it comes together.

Faust29, Mikie, -ROCKY- and 7 others like this.
  19. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    I'll be in slo in July 21-24

CBone, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  20. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    We did this last year and will be doing it again in July 2020. I suggest riding in Ashland, Oakridge or both instead of Bend. #1, the riding is better and #2, they are much closer to the I-5 which saves you hours of driving. If you like riding wooden features, ramps, etc...Bellingham is pretty awesome.

Fijirob, Faust29, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  21. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Lemme see if I can make that work.

22. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    You have a writeup on your trip? I recall you having nice blog.

Faust29, Mikie, -ROCKY- and 2 others like this.
  23. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Let’s go already, then some Tahoe action later in the summer.

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

St. George window is closing.....gets too toasty during the summer months.

CBone, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  25. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
  26. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Temps seem good for this weekend let’s go dang it. Living in Castaic I’m sorta tolerant to heat.

CBone, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    So good! TFPU!!!!!!!! :)

Faust29, tick, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  28. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Still trying to figure out what to do in July. Wife and I postponed our Sierra backpack plans due to the snow and the expectation of a mosquito super bloom. So I’m trying to dream up a road trip, with a twist: I commute in a Chevy Bolt, and for the sport of it I want to try to road trip with it.

Park City is in play—there is fast charging all along the 15. Chargers are still under construction on 395, so no Mammoth. Colorado may go if one charger on the 15 opens in time. It would still require an overnight in Green River to slow charge going out and going back, as the gap between Richfield UT and Grand Junction is too big, and the charger in Moab is just out of reach.

So likely Park City or Tahoe...

Faust29, herzalot, mike and 3 others like this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I'm planning a major road trip to... wait for it...

Aliso and Wood Canyon, Laguna Coast Wilderness Park and maybe even Whiting or Santiago Oaks!

Seriously. I got nothin' for this summer. Family trip to NY, Boston and New Hampshire in July (non-biking). Local stuff and occasional weekend jaunts for riding - Skypark, Snow Summit...

Faust29, mike, tick and 2 others like this.
  30. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    One reason full electric doesn't appeal to me. Love my Prius!

Faust29, mike and tick like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?