Please keep an eye out, my Specialized Stumpy Evo LTD was stolen.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kazlx, Nov 1, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    My Specialized Stumpjumper EVO Ltd was stolen yesterday in Fullerton in the parking structure at Wahoo's at Chapman and Harbor. Had just finished riding the Loop with some friends and we decided to eat at Wahoo's. I didn't bring a lock, so was just going to bring my bike with me to eat. The friends I was with offered to just lock my bike in the back of their truck. Well, came out after an hour or so and lock was cut. Only took my bike. I'm pissed, but I'm more mad at myself for breaking my rule of not letting my bike out of my sight. I'm hoping the thief is stupid enough to list the bike since it's sort of rare. It's an S5 (XL) and the EVO Ltd, so it's bare matte carbon in the front and the lower downtube and rear is a light grey. Really the only defining thing is I put on Kona Wah Wah flats. Kicking myself for not doing the airtag thing or anything else. I filed a report with Fullerton PD. Already checked with insurance and not worth filing. So at this point, I'm just out unless I happen to find it. The only positive thing I have going is that it is sort of rare and an uncommon size. So I doubt there's even another one in a 100 mile radius. If you see an ad or the bike please let me know.

stumpy 2.jpg stumpy 1.jpg

Mikie, bvader, Danmtchl and 18 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    F$ck.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Bluesrider and 2 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Major bummer. :(

4. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Yea pisses me off. Honestly we're probably both lucky I didn't catch him doing it.

5. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Bummer...and yeah some people suck.

6. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I hope you get it back.

** And I too will keep an eye out for your bike.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Fueledbyex8 and 3 others like this.
  7. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Me too. I'm a online sales savant. So if it get's posted I'll find it. I'm guessing they will sit on it for a while.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Bluesrider and 5 others like this.
  8. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    This really sucks. I hope you get the bike back and I really hope karma catches up the the sorry POS who stole it.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Bluesrider and 4 others like this.
  9. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Maybe he’ll break his neck riding it :thumbsup:.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Bluesrider and 4 others like this.
  10. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    i live in the area.. will keep an eye out for anyone selling such a bike...
    I recently went to costco and forgot I had my bike on the back, no lock, in plain site, on the one rack..
    30 minutes later bike was still there....

Mikie, Danmtchl, Bluesrider and 6 others like this.
  11. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Damn, that sucks. Are there no security cameras in the parking structure? Are people just carrying lock cutters around now?
    It is crazy how brave thieves are lately.

12. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I don’t think so. I might roll by today and check. But no joke. Middle of the day on Monday. At lunch time. It was definitely busy. This just enforces that a cable lock is basically worthless. It’s at the point now where it’s all or nothing. I will never leave a bike anywhere again out of sight unless it’s my house or a hotel room.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Bluesrider and 3 others like this.
  13. solislbc

solislbc Well-Known Member

Name:
    El
    Current Bike:
    2001 GT Zaskar
    I glued an AirTag inside my frame. Hopefully I will never need to use it.

sorry man. This sucks.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Bluesrider and 6 others like this.
  14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    ... sigh

I feel sorry for you... but I also feel sorry for the thief. He will never know the joy of living an honest life. Sucks to be someone who stealing bikes is a step up in life.

You could catch him, and then feel sorry for him, because he is such a scum of humanity you would be left wondering "how did you get here? You could have been Elon Musk, but instead you are stealing bikes out of a parking lot?"

15. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Yea, when you sustain yourself off of other people's misery and are a literal thief of joy. It's sad.

16. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
  17. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I'm no Specialized fan but that is a sweet looking ride?

Why is it not covered by your homeowners insurance?

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Damn. That sucks hard. That's a beast of a bike and a shitty thing to have happen. I hope you recover it somehow and I hope the jackwad who stole it suffers unimaginable misfortune and pain as his karmic debt.

19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Or car insurance? Especially since it was secured.

20. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Homeowners covers stuff stolen out of your vehicle. I know because my truck was broken into and I had a bike and a set of snow skis stolen in the past. I have also confirmed with my current provider, Travelers Insurance, that my bikes recovered with no rider necessary. Obviously I would have to pay the $500 deductible but that's peanuts when we're talking $7-9K bikes. Car insurance only covers stuff that are a normal PART OF the vehicle.

solislbc, Mikie, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  21. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Sorry to hear. But yeah cable locks only exist to keep honest people honest. I've used one many many times for a quick run into a store or gas station but am pretty much relying on a numbers game that a thief with cable cutter and intent to steal won't happen to come across my bike in the couple mins I'm away from it. I've had friends who play that same game and lost. One, interestingly, found her bike on San Francisco craigslist but with a San Diego contact number. So if you're not already aware of it, Searchtempest can search all CL, ebay and FB marketplace for all areas with one search.

Elon is about the last person I'd hold up as any sort role model to aspire to be :gag:

Mikie, Danmtchl, buggravy and 2 others like this.
  22. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Seems like people's first reaction when a bike is stolen is to file an insurance claim. I've been there and done that. But it's actually kind of risky to do and may indeed not be worth it. First, could have a high deductible vs the value of the bike. Second, you are leaving yourself open to a lot of risk if you happen to have another claim on your homeowners or renters policy. I found out the hard way if you have two claims within a five year period it becomes difficult to find a company that will insure you. And if you do, you'll probably pay double the rate you paid before. And if you have the misfortune of having to make a third claim within a five year period you are all but uninsurable. That would be a huge problem if you've got a mortgage since all lenders require you to have home insurance. So yeah, might not be worth filing.

Cyclotourist, HBkites, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  23. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    As crappy as this is, Ive seen homeowner policies cancelled by the company when the insured made a single claim. Ive seen this happen a few times in fact. How is that even legal?

Cyclotourist, HBkites, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  24. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    eve dog gives great advice.... insurers must legally honor the claim but can cancel you for any reason when policy is up...wawanesa use to cancel for one speeding ticket! (not sure if they do that now)

HBkites, Mikie, kazlx and 2 others like this.
  25. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    To their credit, State Farm didn't raise my rates after the first claim. I asked about impact on rates before making the second claim and the rep said no, a second claim won't affect your rates. But he didn't mention that State Farm would decline to renew my policy at the end of the term. Had I known that, I wouldn't have made the claim. Seems like their policy regarding things like cancellations and non-renewals is something that should be disclosed to customers. I didn't need to make either of those claims, but when it's a ~$3k loss it gets into the realm of maybe being worthwhile. The possibility of policy being cancelled could materially affect that decision.

Mikie, Danmtchl and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  26. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    [QU

They'll take your money until you make a claim. Then it's here your go, adios MoFo!

If Costco returns operated this way they would have booted my wife long ago. But to their credit, they did take back the POS eBike she bought, and crashed twice. No questions asked. That was a happy day for me.

27. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I work in the area, will keep an eye out for it, hate to hear this happen to anybody.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, kazlx and 3 others like this.
  28. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    My wife had her bike stolen the same way (cut cable with the bike parked in a driveway in plain sight), and it wasn't feasible economically to place a claim since we would have lost the discount of not having a claim for the next three years. Insurance companies take, take, take with impunity (or their rules protect themselves).

Cyclotourist, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  29. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    To each their own....my $8K bike gets stolen, I'm making a claim and getting a new bike. Maybe times have changed but Farmers didn't drop me after (2) theft related claims and a water leak in a 5 year period.

30. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    You make your claim and then you tell them to get lost and you start over with a new company.

solislbc, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?