Pets are people, too

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by mike, Feb 7, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2

Congrats! Good looking pup.

2. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    A Jack Russell/Pit Terrier. I tried to name her Dummy because she is super smart. But my Daughter blackballed that and named her Pearl. Was at the pound ready to be euthanized when a couple saved her last minute. (THEN) was brought back because the peoples two Rottweiler's went after her and she went full Honeybadger mode on them, and it scared the people. I'm not dogging her for that.

So she'll be a part of our family. four other dogs and a pig "no issues". In time maybe a trail buddy? Pearl.jpg I'm looking forward to that. The only thing she does that will take training that I can see is she wants so bad to be loved she jumps up on you. He'll I'm guilty of that:p

3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Haha I once had a bloodhound named Dummy, he was super smart but didn’t look it or act it.

Our last dog was a Jack Russel named Charlie that my wife had just before we got together. Similar situation as he was at the pound and scheduled to be put down within hours of my wife finding him. He had caution tape wrapped around his kennel and was being blasted with a high pressure hose by one of the workers cause he was “viscous”, well no sh!t I would be too. She adopted him and he lived a great life of 17+ years, full of piss & vinegar(aka character)...

Congrats on finding a great home Pearl, you deserve it and are a great looking pup.:thumbsup:

bvader, Mikie, jimbowho and 5 others like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Lucky dog, lucky family. It takes a big heart to take another when you have a houseful already – big props, jimbo. Enjoy your new member. :thumbsup:

Mikie, bvader, jimbowho and 1 other person like this.
  5. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Congrats Herz, Jim!!!

Mikie, bvader and herzalot like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Well today was the day. I mentioned some time ago that I thought Wheeler was at the rainbow bridge. She kept rollercoasting better than bad, better than bad.

By far as much as I have loved all of our animals, Wheeler was the best canine companion I ever had. I’m really going to miss this one.

On the way to the Doc’s.
    8AACE144-91AD-4B70-BE24-A8C3E2D6A951.jpeg

7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Aww dang it I’m so sorry to hear this . RIP Wheeler, no more struggles... I only had the pleasure of meeting and petting you a handful of times but you were such a likable pooch.

8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Sorry to hear about this @Mikie. My cousin had to put his doggie down a few days ago. :(

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Sorry to hear Mikie. I'm sure it is for the best.....but it never makes it any easier.

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    So sorry @Mikie.

11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Our condolence to you and Cathy, Mikie. You gave your friend the best life she could have hoped for. You were all lucky. Thanks for being a good dad to Wheeler. :thumbsup:

12. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Aww man, hate to read this. Rest easy, Wheeler.

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Can't like.
    Sorry for your loss my friend. Is the unconditional love worth the inevitable pain of loss?

Probably.

14. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Perfectly stated.

15. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Aw man, so sorry to hear @Mikie :cry:. R.I.P Wheeler.

16. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    :(

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  17. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Oh shoot sorry to hear that @Mikie . This week wife was gone I had a cold and and my little beasty of an animal stuck close to me make sure I was ok... We sure do love em .. they give so much comfort. In the end we need to do the same. Happy Rabbit chasing Wheeler....

Mikie, mike, Old&InTheWay and 6 others like this.
  18. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Oh she has a sweet face!
    I’m sorry brother for your heartache. Love is never in vain, I know you were a good Papa and remember, she had the best life possible because of you and Mama Watson

Mikie, mike, Old&InTheWay and 8 others like this.
  19. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Sorry Mikie. We love our pets so much and the joy they bring to our lives.

20. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Sorry to hear Mikie. Some of the toughest days that I have had were making the decision to say goodbye to our dogs.

21. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    My heart goes out to you Mikie.
    Just remember the joy and unconditional love you received from Wheeler.

22. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    sad day...

23. ~JB~

~JB~ Member

Name:
    Juan B Garcia
    Current Bike:
    2019 RFX
    :cry::(:cry: It's always hard to let them go.. Hugs and a should for the owners..

24. horsebikerider

horsebikerider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Sending hugs as there are no words that I can say that will change how you feel. Just know that we all feel your pain. :cry:

25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Words do not come close to capturing the emotion... This is closer: :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: :(

Run far and fast, Wheeler...

26. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    Sorry to hear Mikie. I can't imagine what you guys must be feeling right now.

Rest easy Wheeler.

27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    IMG_2763.jpg

These bonded siblings, over a year on, are still getting more and more comfortable with us. We love them to the ends of the earth; they are such good kids, especially considering their homeless upbringing.

28. siata94

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Pls allow me to share... follow up to my post #25 on this thread...

We lost Emma on Saturday morning, I was driving back from my usual ride at Oaks when my youngest frantically called me. Emma came back from her morning walk and was prancing around in the back yard then collapsed and lost consciousness. Vet hospital 2 miles away, my son performed CPR in the back of the SUV the whole way (he just renewed his CPR training the weekend before) . Vet tried CPR, injections... to no avail. I'd arrived at the vet with my wife waiting to rush me back to her room as she was still warm.

5 years ago, our 3 kids were in their teenage years. They constantly bickered, fighting over every little thing, xbox, tv, couch... couldn't stand to be be in the same room. I constantly had to tell each to go to a different room. There were many days when I came home from work to sit down for dinner and ended up leaving the table without eating because I couldn't stand the bickering, the back and forth...

5 years ago, a truck stopped along PCH, a door opened and a dog was pushed out. Truck drove away. A lady was dining across the street and saw it happened, dog ran across PCH and into her arms. Dog was 28 lbs when she brought her home, in an apartment with a cat. As there were many seniors in the building, they did not allow a pit bull, so after a week, she brought the dog to the local shelter. She visited the dog every weekend and on the 3rd weekend, was told that it was to be euthanized on Monday. She brought the dog home and posted an ad on Craigslist that day. I happened to see the ad that day, having been turned down on another pit bull rescue application (because I'd stated in the adoption form that the dog would have a dogloo under a covered patio on weekdays, with a very large back yard, and house privilege on the weekends after weekly bath, that was our routine w/ the 2 previous pit rescues the past 20 years or so). We went to see the dog the next day, the following day our home was inspected and dog was delivered.

Dog was terrified of confined space, refused to go into the dogloo. My wife crawled inside with treats, didn't work. 1st night, dog cried til 3am when I finally broke and begged to let it in. 5 years ago, had anyone told me that we'd have a 100% indoor dog, I'd have never believed it...

Our family instantly transformed; the kids became siblings again, watching tv together, sharing consoles, talking and laughing all the time. Emma was always at the center of it all. My wife was the bus driver for the kids at different schools, Emma was a constant car companion for school and all their after school activities. Every weekend when we go out to eat, the first question is always "does Emma get to come?". We did not like restaurants without outdoor patios. Everywhere we went, costco, groceries... Emma always came along, sat in the car w/ all windows all the way down (except for the hottest days). If it's Total Wine or Home Depot/Lowes or outdoor malls like the Block, she always came along and went inside all the stores that we went to. She always liked to watch the indoor skatepark at Vans. This summer, nearly every weekend, we spent time at Laguna Beach, eating lunch on the patio, walking around to get ice cream, walking on the beach once it's allowed (after Sept 15th). Occassionally at HB or Manhattan Beach or Venice boardwalk. We've always looked forward to beach day...

My youngest was terrified of dogs since he was an infant, the in-law's rabid chihuahuas and Jack Russell has scarred him. When Emma came home, he constantly asked "why did we get a dog?". Within a couple weeks, Emma had completely won him over. Eventually he'd play rough with her and I had to tell him to play less rough with her. He had bathed Emma this past Friday and per policy, whoever bathes Emma gets to have Emma sleep in their room that night. Typically Emma is reluctant to be "taken" at night from our room but Friday, she seemed to went along quite happily...

Emma has never shown any aggression with people, dogs, she is not toy/food possessive, but squirrels, lizards and a particular neighbor's Shiba Inu that owner said that he was friendly and wanted them to meet. All seemed well after the usual sniffing until it attacked Emma's nose and drew blood, ever since they're mortal enemies.

Emma was 8 years old in seemingly perfect health. My wife loved her so much that Emma got up to 62 lbs quite quickly. Then she saw a TV show that weighed dogs and recommended a certain weight range then she put Emma on a strict diet, she settled at 50 lbs since. The vet suggested it could be congenial heart defects, common in the breed. My friend's daughter looked up her vet book and it said the same thing, typical life expectancy 8-11 years.

Sorry for the rambling...

Oaken, DBMX119, bvader and 14 others like this.
  29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I don’t see any rambling.....I see a dog that that got a second chance, which turned out to be one hell of a 5 year picnic. :thumbsup:

30. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Very sorry to hear this @siata94. Thanks for rescuing Emma and giving her 5 great years.

mtnbikej, bvader, mike and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?