PCE Bites Back!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by rossage, Apr 10, 2016.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    So there I was, surfing the 'net and watching a late season Palm Cyn run form and go before my eyes. The Bomb squad was lining up the B-17s to do a strategic, daylight, precision bombing run over Schweinfurt...I mean Palm Springs. My day was planned to be driving to LAX to pick up some friends from China-who was gonna have more fun?
    Well, my commitment was relieved and I was free to join the squad on a perilous run through the needle-studded pylons of Palm Cyn.
    After the prerequisite early morning driving and shuttling, a group of 5 was formed and the ride was on. @Tom the Bomb, @DangerDirtyD, Lenny, @mike, and myself. After clearing some smoke from the cockpit, we dropped in from the upper spot on Palm Dr.(?). Cool temps, slight winds, and rolling cloud cover to keep us undercover, while the rain was being held back by San Jacinto and his friends.
    The trail was moist, tacky and fast, and TTB pilotted the Squad through the cholla like the Zen master he is.
    Then it happened. Boom! Direct flak hit on B-17 #3, just as we crossed the German border-I mean when it was getting real good. @mike had taken damage to his chainring and was out of the game. No fixing this one, as @mike bailed behind enemy lines and made his way to safety with the help of the French Resistance, Xavier. Still don't know why he had to hide in a brothel, but the stop in Amsterdam was necessary.
    We carried on in the face of mounting resistance and darkening clouds. Wounded warriors from other squadrons littered the trailside. The long run down to the Wash kept us on our toes and wondering about our fallen comrade. The Wash was as good as it gets for a 3 mile sand slog with 1000ft of elevation gain.
    The singletrack climb up to Hahns was the undoing of another in our airwing. @DangerDirtyD took small arms fire on a low strafing run and B-17 #5 was shot down with a failed freehub. The chainless warrior limped down the Dunn road back to England, and was picked up by SAR near Carl's Jr.-on the coast near Dover.
    Our bombs found their target and Nazi ball bearings were scattered across the countryside. Our 3 remaining pilots made a run for home across the desert and down Wild Horse and the Goat trails without further incident.
    Despite the casualties, the mission was a complete success and the Bomb Squad lives to ride another day.

2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Here's some pics

@mike
    2016-04-09 20.27.24.jpg

The damage
    2016-04-09 20.27.56.jpg

TTB
    2016-04-09 20.31.28.jpg

L9 Nazi in the bushes
    2016-04-09 20.29.18.jpg

Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 22 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Mike wäre besser mit dem Salsa gewesen...

Tom the Bomb, mike, jaime and 4 others like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Nazi's dont eat Salsa....Schweinhund!

Tom the Bomb, mike, jaime and 4 others like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Uh oh - how did that RaceFace break like that? Was there an impact to the bottom of the chainring, causing the break? Do you think a traditional 4 or 5 bolt spider would have prevented such a break?

Creative storytelling @rossage Very entertaining. Sorry to hear of the casualties, but glad it was only equipment.

6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    More pics

Bomb Squad over Palm SpringsB-17F_formation_over_Schweinfurt,_Germany,_August_17,_1943.jpg

Air Cholla
    aircholla.jpg

@mike going down

mikegoing down.jpg

@DangerDirtyD hit

DDDhit.jpg

Mission accomplished

droppingbombs.jpg

7. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

To much damn torque!

8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    @mike said there was no impact. I'm sure he will provide details later.

Tom the Bomb, mike, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    He has been riding the single speed lately... He got too strong!

Tom the Bomb, mike, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    Haha, killer report! Great reportage, Ross.

Thanks to admiral Tom for leadership and bravery in action, and nice work everybody for solid mission execution and not getting taken behind the lines. :cool: Nice day for a hike, eh D?! Glad you limped out okay.

Have yet to confirm, but I'm pretty certain pilot error brought me down. Crank arms not tightened down = small gap next to chainring = room to flex = failure of featherweight part.

@herzalot Definitely the XX1 spider is way more burly than a RF direct mount ring. Sheesh, even the SRAM rings look to be about twice as burly. Assuming my cursory diagnosis is correct, I don't blame the part – I blame the dolt in charge of my bike maintenance.

@Faust29 I just couldn't saddle this team/outing with my SS experiment. They always go fast and I went with the tried and true. Look what that netted me!

The hike out was enjoyable. I took the Pinyon trail rather than the PC trail which we entered on, as Pinyon is more direct to where I was eventually going. I nearly missed the unmarked PT turnoff and thank a gracious couple I met just past it for clueing me in. I took guilty pleasure in "riding" the DH portions of the trail I encountered; some technical stuff that I've never rolled and probably never will again. The flowers were in bloom and I enjoyed gawking while moving on the trail.

I took a right on Palm Canyon drive rather than heading for the CG, thinking I could flag a ride sooner. This was a total bust, as there is no place for an auto to pull over until near the CG. Hell, there's not even room to push your bike.

Once near PFCG, the traffic was not very consistent and mostly sedans. I had pedaled up from Palm Desert once, and remembered how there was essentially no break in the climbing for many miles. The thought of that and of moving effortlessly got the best of me, so I started scooter-kicking my bike toward what looked like a DH grade. Bingo...16 miles of no braking later, I coasted to a stop at the 74 and 111, still 10 miles from my car. Xavier the shuttle driver graciously plucked my sorry ass out of retail hell and back to the end point. Not knowing where the rest of the squadron was or how waylaid they might be for whatever reason, I packed up and drove home.

It's been said that a true adventure begins when something goes wrong. With that in mind, I had some damn good fun yesterday and was super stoked to share a lot of it with some of the best guys I know. :thumbsup:

11. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    That's MAJOR Tom, squidward! Ha Ha!!!!

Oh yeah, we ran into a few fellow squadron mates: Norm-who picked me and TTB out of the crowd, and Evan, who I haven't seen in years. Good to see you guys out there!

ridinrox, Tom the Bomb, mike and 3 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    I am confused. If that's @mike in the first photo, then why is he nearly identical to @rossage 's avatar?

One reason I am so interested in the chainring break is because I am having a Race Face Turbine crankset with the same splined RF 30 t chainring installed as we speak. I had the parts from when I thought I would be building my next bike from the frame up. My Intense came with SRAM X1, which seems perfectly fine, but I have the RF, and they look cool, and I have time so...

Maybe I shouldn't mess with something that is currently quiet and perfectly functional (my SRAM crankset - BB - chainring).

13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Twins, separated by the horrors of war...

Our chief weapon is surprise, that, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    LOL rossage...

Some of the delightful sights I saw during my hike...

PCabort1.jpg

PCabort2.jpg

PCabort3.jpg

PCabort4.jpg

PCabort5.jpg

You have to love overcast days. Colors become unbelievably vibrant, and even photos don't convey how positively electric they appear with diffuse lighting and no glare.

Confirming pilot error as cause of part failure. Crank not loose, but space next to ring was my error. In my quest for a straighter chainline with the big cogs on back, I omitted the drive-line BB spacer, but didn't notice the gap. I rode this setup for months – without problem, obviously. Apparently, pushing the pedals as though I'm on my SS is a good test for drive components. Testing in the middle of the desert not recommended! Yea, and actually looking at your bike once in awhile might not be a bad idea. Still living; still learning...again.

15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    Oh My Gosh! I laughed so hard. Amazingly Awesome Ride Report guys. This one rocks 2016!

16. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    This RR is #1 in my book !!! TFPU !!! Sorry to hear about the mechanicals and some blood sacrifice but, hey its part of the sport ;) !! Amaizing pics... The colors are really nice.... @rossage but no pics of @mike hidding place (brothel)?

Tom the Bomb, Luis, mike and 3 others like this.
  17. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Herz the sram chain ring is much burlier than the race face. I think you aught to rethink that one. I would not do it. It looks like one of the spokes on the RF broke then muscle Mike put the pedal to the metal and it pulled out of the mounting screws. He was right in front of me when it happened, Major bummer 5 miles into a 28 mile ride! Plus having to push out!
    I cannot remember when we had 2 catastrophic failures on the same ride. I was so looking forward to Rockin the Casbah with these guys. Dennis actually broke his rear axle . You could grab the cassette and rock it back and forth 1/2 in on each side then it locked up! Bummmmmmer!
    Oh well Hans and goat trails were great. Loved watching Ross dance his hard tail through the mine fields. Lenny is rockin that new lime yellow green trek!
    Check these pics out. Ross spotted the Rattler half way across the trail, spooked him and he back tracked and coiled up ready to protect his bunker. See if you can see him in the pic with my mug. Most camouflaged snake I have ever seen!

IMG_3940.JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3938.JPG

IMG_3935.JPG

IMG_3934.JPG

IMG_3933.JPG

IMG_0494.jpg

DangerDirtyD, Luis, herzalot and 15 others like this.
  18. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    What a great report Rossage! You out did yourself on this one! Very entertaining my friend. We will watch the weather and may be we can get Mike and triple D back out there. I know they were really looking forward to Bombin with us!

Mikie, StrandLeper, mike and 2 others like this.
  19. dft

dft Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Tom
    Tom, etc. I didn't introduce myself by name, but met you guys out there sat, I was with the group of 7 with Ken, Evan. Thanks for the heads up on Art Johnson trail, that was a lot of fun. Primo conditions out there! (I was the one that asked where you are from)
    palm canyon.jpg

20. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9

Mikie likes this.
  21. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    That's the kinda guy Tom is ......turns his back on the coiled snake!!!!!??....Baallllzzzz!!!

22. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Good thing you didn't run into any ME-109's or ME-262's!!
    Great story telling Ross!!!

Tom the Bomb, rossage and Mikie like this.
  23. dft

dft Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Tom
    @Tom the Bomb ,

My name is actually Tom also:) Denny is a good friend though. I've only done palm canyon once before so I don't remember the details to compare. I am the one that has done catcus-to-clouds 6 times though, so if you need details on that, give me a holler, lol. (its a 9 hour HAB:)

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  24. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Dudes! That sounds even more epic than the ride OTB put together in January 2012 and 32 riders showed up... o_O

25. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Got it Tom I remember reading about that crazy ride.

Mikie likes this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Thanks. Advice heeded. I cancelled the swap, and I'll return the RF stuff. Don't fix what works, and not all upgrades are upgrades. RF is way cooler than SRAM though. SRAM is the cause of so much un-standardization and upheaval - some good, some just deliberate marketing snake oil. (1 x11, 148 Boost, now the Eagle 12 speed cassette and some sort of metric blah blah).

Do you think @mike 's chainring problem would have occurred if he had the RF cranks and BB too? Could the mis-matched parts be part of the cause? Messerschmitts don't play well with Lockheeds...

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  27. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Anyone else notice TTB didn't look like a skittle?
    Took a moment to realize it really was #tomthebomb.
    :)

28. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    That was Tom without Make-Up... :p

29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    I think the "cinch" system would have eliminated the gap altogether. FWIW, with the stock spider on my XX1, I can't even see into the area where the gap previously was. There is so much alloy there that I really can't imagine breaking the spider, even if a gap existed in that area.

Not using a drive-side spacer and not noticing the resultant gap was the cause of the problem. 100% pilot error. Using a RF ring with SRAM crank is totally OK, as long as it's installed correctly. I would say that RF GX rings are not as strong as other options, but still not my problem.

Tom the Bomb, herzalot and rossage like this.
  30. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    Great RR Gents! Catching desert spring flowers on the PCE is one of the most captivating sights my eyes have seen in nature. Nothing like the contrast of desert scape with bright flowers. Glad you all made it out safely with stories to share!

mike, herzalot, rossage and 1 other person like this.