Pattagucci in the house

Discussion in 'Shorts' started by mike, Jun 25, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    One of my go-to garment makers is in the riding shorts biz now. I annihilated our REI dividend on a Landfarer and Dirt Craft pair to replace the Endura and Zoic shorts I've been suffering with up to now. (Plus a pair for the weez.)

https://www.patagonia.com/shop/mens-mountain-biking-shorts-pants

No point in feedback until they see a bunch of dirt, but I got the Landfarer already and they look and feel to have the potential that I expect from Patagonia. The detailing is impressive. I'm leery of anything depending on elastic for the fit, but these do around the waist. The Dirt Craft model has a waist adjustment. The Dirt Roamer seems a little too light for my taste based on reviews.

Mikie, tick, rossage and 3 others like this.
  2. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Love the brand and their ethos, but, damn, those are some long inseams.
    blackbook.Image16133.ksmith2.jpg_image.jpg

Mikie, tick, rossage and 2 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

I've been trolling the second hand offerings at REI for long sleeve riding shirts after the recommendations. Good stuff... :thumbsup:

4. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Been using dirt craft since they came out. I don’t put in the crazy miles but they’ve held up great for last couple years. Fit is ok, on slimmer side. Sometimes Patagonia fit is weird. I’d say fox or dakine have a better cut but I like the non existent styling on the Patagonia. Could be a little shorter.

bought (and returned) dirt roamers when they came out. Too tight for me. For skinny guys without thighs I guess.

Mikie and mike like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Great feedback, spot on IME. I have some Dakines that I like a lot, but they don't mesh with knee pads as well as the Landfarer because, as you say, they are long-ish. Stoked to get the Dirt Craft. :thumbsup:

Mikie and littlewave like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Mind the gap...

"Also, keep in mind that if you wear kneepads, you want the short to be long enough to reach the pads without leaving a gap."

Mikie, tick and mike like this.
  7. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I grabbed a pair of the Dirt Crafter a year or so ago. Love the shorts, but in the correct size the liner that comes with them is just too snug for me. I figure the size up chamois would be good, but the next size up short would be too much material in the waist. The shorts themselves are fantastic though.

On a different note, Patagonia boxers changed my life. I think they used to call them Capilene boxers, now it's everyday boxers or sender, but same general material. I literally own no other form of everyday underwear. So good.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, rossage and 2 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I somehow feel we've just bonded as never before...

While we're sharing intimate secrets - Duluth Trading Co are my faves.

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Ah, you weren't referencing the W's Dirt Craft vid.

I'd case it. :facepalm::sneaky:

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I prefer the Ex Officio when not on commando missions. I even wear them on rides to keep the boys from seat slapping on the downhills!:Roflmao

scan, Mikie, mike and 5 others like this.
  11. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Rossage knows his stuff!
    Ex officio sport mesh for the win. My everyday. Nothing else compares, and I tried a lot of brands to find what works best.

Mikie, mike, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  12. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I've been looking to get into the non-commando game myself recently-I'm taking notes on all of these reviews/suggestions.

Mikie, Danimal, mike and 1 other person like this.
  13. jdubb

jdubb Member

Name:
    John Williams
    Current Bike:
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy cc
    I'm a huge fan of club ride - all of their jerseys and shorts fit me well (big guy) and are super comfy. Pretty stylish to boot

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Ex Officio nut huggers here. And on every multi day effort on dirt and rock. Expensive, worth it.

Wool boxers seem to have a following. If you can ride boxers, power to you...

Warmer the weather, the less I want a pad. Comfy seat with no pad is the naz. Grinding a wet sponge all day is a good way to get hurt. I can ride my leather saddle all week in anything. The WTBs I use for trail are more challenging.

Derailed again...

Mikie, rossage, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  15. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Costco 32*...surprisingly serviceable for off-bike use.

When my road bibs get a little worn, they get used under the MTB shorts. I have yet to find a mtb liner short that works as well as last year’s bibs.

the Dirt Craft look sharp. When I get cleared to ride again, I might need to pick up a pair. But my wife beat me to the last bit of REI dividend last week so maybe not.

16. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Mikie, mike, rossage and 1 other person like this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for the nudge, Dan – I just re-upped. Free shipping was unexpected. :thumbsup:

Mikie, Danimal, rossage and 1 other person like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I am sooooo glad this became the underwear thread! :thumbsup:

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, tick and 3 others like this.
  19. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Hey, it's probably the one derail I haven't seen before. And I find it amusingly amusing.

herzalot, mike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  20. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    At least we aren't posting photos! Yet.:thumbsup:

DangerDirtyD, herzalot, mike and 2 others like this.
  21. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Oh you just had to say THAT!

DangerDirtyD, herzalot and mike like this.
  22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    It's all pretty tame until the convo turns to bikepacking and how many days one can go without a fresh pair.

23. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Don't even say that...a certain photo can't be unseen... ag
    Hey, exofficio are made to rinse, dry and wear if traveling. As you know.

24. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    So interestingly enough, bike shorts had become the subject in our household a couple of days ago. A couple years ago Pearl Izumi went to this rough surfaced material for its cycling pad. Seems to be much less natural and far more synthetic. To the point it feels like it repels moisture trapping it between the pad and left on me. Then the rough texture proceeds to tear the Sh!t out of me. Sometimes it is miserable driving home, and painful the next couple of days.

Their liners went that route as well taking PI off the table for future purchase. Are you guys suggesting that you are wearing a liner inside your liner and then your baggies?

What liner with pad has worked best for “all day in the saddle kind of rides. Both Cathy and I are in the market.

Thanks!

25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I still have several pairs of the Pearl shorts, but I've cut the liners out. When I wear those, I go with the Troy Lee or Fox for the cushy parts.

The Pearl liners didn't bother me, but they didn't last as long.

Mikie, mike and herzalot like this.
  26. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    The Fox liners have been great for me. I've tried a couple other stand alone, plus the Patagonia mentioned above, but the Fox reigns supreme for all day comfort.

Mikie, mike and herzalot like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Like Fox, Troy Lee has been steadily improving their liners to the point where they are now my faves. The legs fit right, the waist is finally high enough (earlier Troy Lees were kind of low riders) and the padding is perfect and as stink-free as shorts can be. They are also highly breathable. But I can't speak to "all day" comfort because my rides rarely exceed four hours. They are the best liners/chamois/pads I've ever used. The latest Fox are a close second.

And by the way - don't you all change out of your shorts at the car? I can't imagine driving or going to a restaurant while still wearing my stinky, sweaty riding clothes. If my drive is less than ten minutes and I am going straight home - maybe I'll wait to change at home - but that's almost never. Towel changing (surfer style) is quick and easy - for the boys anyway.

And @Mikie - no, I don't think anyone is wearing undies/liners inside of liners inside of baggies. If you are, you need therapy.

Mikie, mike and buggravy like this.
  28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I just got a pair of Tasco Scout shorts.

First pair of non Fox shorts in the last 6 years or so.

So far so good. They don't come with a liner, but are available. Not a problem for me since I only wear my bibs underneath anyway.

Lightweight and stretchy....and just the right length.

https://www.tasco-mtb.com/products/the-scout-a-t-mtb-shorts

Mikie, mike, Old&InTheWay and 2 others like this.
  29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    IMO it’s more about the saddle, weather and your propensity to sweat more than any particular liner.

I’ve ridden all day with a setup and been fine. Shredded by the same setup in the heat because of moisture. Moisture removes skin oil, like taking a bath. Oil-less skin isn’t resilient and gets worked.

I haven’t found a leather saddle shaped nicely for tech riding. Honestly I haven’t been looking. I would not hesitate to get one, though. A rounded back for getting behind it.

I put in many liner-free full days on my Titanico X, consecutive days included. I wouldn’t try that on a brand new saddle or little-used ass, but liner-optional is a great point to get to. I don’t need a liner for less than a full day since I don’t seek out hot riding.

30. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Just did a 25 miler out at Chilao with a solid crew. Full Sun and hot. Ex Officio chones and Specialized Demo pants worked excellent for moisture management and comfort.
    Didn't think about my ass the whole ride. That's a good thing.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?