Park City Trails

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stevers, Jul 26, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    It's been a couple years since the last park city thread, so I figured it's time for a new one. I'm heading out to Park City in a couple weeks for a working vacation. I might be able to take a couple afternoons to ride, so I'm not looking for all day XC/epics. I'm mainly looking at lift access downhills (something like Snow Summit). I'll likely be in the Canyon Village. This will be my first time riding in the area. Is there lift access at Canyon Village, or should I head down to the main Park City Mountain to do some riding? Any recommendations on good bike rental shops? Also, I've read about Trailside Mountain Bike Park as a good skills area to play around in. Anyone have experience there? Worth the 15 minute drive, or stay in the lift access area

DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Canyons had a fun bike park, but when Vail Associates bought it, they closed it down. Not sure why, and not sure if they are running summer lifts with bike access.

DangerDirtyD and stevers like this.
  3. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    That is unfortunate. It looks like they still run the bike lifts but only to the xc trails. Do you know if the park city mountain has any good downhill? Not looking for anything crazy, but dont want to get all the way out there for xc trails. For reference, my skill level is about party wave at snow summit or b-line at whistler.

herzalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  4. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    All 3 areas have lifts running for MTB's. The Red Pine gondola will run out of the Canyons base area. Park City runs at least the Payday and Crescent lifts and then Deer Valley runs several lifts. I personally like the trails over at Deer Valley best but they aren't a "bike park" like at Summit. It's been a few years for me but they had some features wooden walls/ramps, teeter-totters, etc....that last time I rode there. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7039017/tidal-wave They also had a couple Pro Line level runs thru the trees that were much sketchier than anything Summit offers. My favorite ride at the Park City resort is off the top....we take Dead Tree to Apex to Keystone and link it into Mid Mountain heading towards Deer Valley.

A trail I like to ride off the mountain is Flying Dog. It's actually out by Kimball Junction on the other side of I-80 but there's a bike path you could ride all the way out there from town. I usually do it once a trip, even late season ski trips when they are lacking snow. Flying Dog is mostly a climbing loop but a great ride IMO. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7006918/flying-dog-loop

We always use White Pine Touring when I need a rental for somebody in our group. Mostly because it's two blocks from our timeshare but it's a very nice shop. Jan's and Cole Sport are the other major players around PC with multiple locations.

stevers and DangerDirtyD like this.
  5. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    Well that took a change real quick. No longer have business in SLC, so the entire Utah/Park City trip has been canceled and we're now booked for 3 nights in Lake Tahoe (Incline Village). Planning to hit up North Star one of the days. Next couple months, my work will take me to Vegas > Austin > New Orleans > then maybe Park City in late October. Not sure if that's too late for mtb season, but there's always next year! Tidal Wave in Deer Valley looks exactly right for me. I won't clear some of the jumps, but it looks perfect to learn. Next time, I'll book Deer Valley.

herzalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hit up @mike when you are in North Lake Tahoe. Many amazing trails up there as I am sure you know.

And yes, early October is typically glorious riding weather in Park City. Late October might be iffy. They may cease bike uploading as they prepare for the snow season, but, barring an unusual early snowstorm, it should be awesome.

mike and stevers like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?