Panaracer Fire Sport 29x2.35

Discussion in 'Tires' started by Lenz Rider, Mar 30, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Lenz Rider

Lenz Rider Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    ernesto
    Current Bike:
    Lenz PBJ
    Are these good on an enduro bike as an all can do tire? Im coming from Maxxis Minions 2.4, ty

Mikie, herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I think you're going to have a hard time topping the Minions. They are the Holy Grail of Enduro bike tires.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    So many better choices out there than this tire.

First off the Fire Sport is tubes only, so no go if you run tubeless.

Wire bead. Yes, it’s cheap, because it is cheap.

Mikie likes this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Well... At least Lenz got a reply. The guy who asked about the tire on MTBR in 2015 is still waiting for an answer. :eek:

I'd say with that little feedback out there, they aren't worth the risk.

Mikie likes this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    So many better choices out there than this tire. First off the Fire Sport is tubes only, so no go if you run tubeless.

Mikie likes this.
  6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    How in the hell can you remember a detail like that?

Diytypeofguy, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The first page of a Google search for "Panaracer Fire Sport" came back with the Panaracer website and a few places selling it, but only one hit from a real person. That's not statistically great...

I looked it up, because I'd never heard of it... I know Panaracer makes some popular gravel/touring tires, though.

https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/panaracer-fire-sport-has-anyone-tried-tubeless-963704.html

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Faust29, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I used the Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo in 1991-94. I am guessing they have not improved.

@Lenz Rider You can't beat the Maxxis, but if you want something good and a little lighter, try the Bontrager XR 4 Team Issue. You could try Maxxis Rekons instead of Minions to get a little lighter and still have a world class tire. A lot of riders on this site like the Rekon.

I've been on Maxxis Minion DHf, DHr II combo for years and wouldn't dream of switching.

mtnbikej, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I actually have a couple of friends that run the tubeless version. They say they are great. Not too sure on that as they don't roll with a crap and that's based on my own experience with them 20 years ago.

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey @Lenz Rider , first off, thanks for joining imtbtrails. These guys are bombers and so you will get some good feedback on tires here.

I went from Schwalbe's, to Maxxis DHF/DHRII's for a couple of years. They are the BEST! This past year and a half I was one to switch to Maxxis Rekon's and that was based on moving to a 27.5+ Hightower. Came stock with 2.8 Rekons and fell in love. They are not as hearty as the DHF/DHRII's but a bit lighter. I currently run 29 rims on both my Hightower and my Ibis DV9 and riding on Rekon's 2.6 in the front and 2.4's in the rear. Blast chunk all the time and have had pretty good luck on them. They roll a bit better on the climbs. If you are just bombing and not climbing, stick to the DHF/DHR's, but if you are doing a lot of trail then try the Rekon's. I think you will really like them.

:thumbsup:Mikie

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    To add to Herz and Mikie above:

I love the Rekons as the best combo for weight, durability and traction... And they are fast rolling. I also love the Bontrager SE4 and have one on the front of the Hightower as well as the single speed. They are heavier than the Rekons, but have an edge in the traction department. Not Minion level traction, but they also don't have that Minion boat anchor feel.

I would tweak @herzalot 's recommendation, though, and recommend the SE4, as opposed to the XR4. The SE has the same tread (I believe...), but the casing is tougher. For me, that's a must... I go through a lot of tires. :oops:

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Width has A LOT to do with boat anchor feel. I ran XR4s and Minions on the same bike, and at the same width, the Minions are not slower. In fact, the DHf is a bit faster rolling. @Danimal recently put an XR4 2.6 on the front of his Trail Pistol (29er) and he noticed the slower roll than the Minion DHf 2.5 that was on there.

As for the casing of XR 4 vs SE 4 - I guess I don't ride the sharp, loose shale that you do @Faust29. The XR 4 sidewalls were fine for my dainty 210 lb self.

Two tires that DID feel like boat anchors to me were the Schwalbe Magic Mary and the Maxxis High Roller and High Roller II.

Mikie and UPSed like this.
  14. Lenz Rider

Name:
    ernesto
    Current Bike:
    Lenz PBJ
    I lost my job 2 years ago so I'm pretty much broke, so I can't go out and spend $120 on 2 bike tires....but I do remember the Maxxis Highroller not being much of a roller at all and changed to the Minions but I stumbled across Cedric Gracia's Youtube channel. He promotes the Panaracers but they do pay him, and he yammers on about how great they are. Anyways are the Aggressors a good rolling tire as well? They are a bit cheaper than the minions...

bbbb.jpg

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  15. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I use aggressors on back of my rocky mountain altitude and really like them. Seem to have good traction and fairly low rolling resistance. I'm not a really aggressive rider, so YMMV.

I did try a high roller 2 on the back once, 3 rides in and it came off. That thing was a freaking slug.

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I assume the version that Cedric is promoting would be the lighter kevlar bead version. What size tires are you looking to get and for what application? Do you want to go tubeless? Are you turning your PBJ into an all-mountain rig?

Chances are that someone on this forum has some quality 27.5" tires they've used once or twice and would be willing to send your direction for a nominal fee. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I think your PBJ is a 29er, no?

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  17. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Tires are obviously a personal choice type thing and as there's definitely a couple tires mentioned here that you'd have to give them to me for free before I'd think about using them because they've always failed me. Others that people say are a boat anchor have served me well and last forever the way I ride.

Anyway, if you're on a budget, I highly suggest you look at ordering your times from German bike sites....https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/mtb-tyres-29-tubeless-8917/l-24 is one I've used and https://www.hibike.com/mtb-tires-29-inch-n4f393c2bd57c1 is another. You can save some serious money on tires. I used to get my Continental tires there for $30 US.

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Cedric is sponsored by Panaracer.

Look around....you should be able to find some OE DHF/DHR's. Look on ebay for Maxxis tires with the "white" Maxxis logos.

I'd also look at Kenda....they have better tire options when it comes to wire beaded tires in the "sport" price range.

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
  20. Lenz Rider

Name:
    ernesto
    Current Bike:
    Lenz PBJ
    Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll go cheap and get some Continentals like Mtb Mike suggested. I dont need tubeless anymore....I tell you right now, dont age over 50 or else a corporation will try to get rid of you as fast as DJ Trump likes younger wives. I'm glad I bought the bikes I wanted when gainfully employed. Stay safe everyone. Heres a pic of my bike with XC tires (they werent cheap so may as well use them) that were for my Kona XC short travel bike I had to sell. Boohoo.

20200330_201856.jpg

Oaken, Danimal, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That'll give you a workout up the hills!

Sorry to hear about the agism in hiring. I think most of us fear that.

22. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @Lenz Rider ... There are cheaper places to buy tires... just sayin’ :whistling:
    You could always PM me...

Lenz Rider, UPSed and mtnbikej like this.