Oregon Timber Trail

Discussion in 'Bikepacking' started by mike, Jul 25, 2018.

1. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    levity, Mikie, Jurven240z and 5 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    That was mentioned a couple times on the forum when it opened in the not too distant past. Looks awesome to me! And it goes through my favorite forested riding spot on the planet.

3. OTHRider

OTHRider Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '14 Giant TCX SLR2 Cross Bike
    I stumbled upon that trail while researching the old, John Wayne Pioneer Trail (West to East travel on Rails-to-Trails concept). It is one of the best sites of its kind. Lots of details and breaking it up into the four segments is easier to visualize in my little pointed head. The FB page isn't too active, mostly posts about detours, fallen trees etc.

And yes, it sounds kinda very good!

BTW, the "John Wayne" legend fell into the Not P.C. camp and the trail was renamed earlier this year to the http://www.palousetocascadestrail.org/
    It is a mix of fire road, gravel road, old trestles, a few tunnels. A few extremely sanding sections in the east make a fat tire bike ideal where the western route is very friendly to all bikes.

Mikie, mike, kioti and 1 other person like this.
  4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Well.. things aren't always as simple as they seem, pilgrim. John Wayne actually founded a company that has cleaned up millions of tons of hazardous waste:

"In 1984 the US Congress enacted the Hazardous and Solid Waste Amendments (HSWA) to the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) commonly known as the Land Ban which severely limited the land disposal of Hazardous Waste Material in the United States. As a result, in the early 1990’s a hazardous waste recycling process was developed by a company founded by John Wayne called Separation and Recovery Systems Inc. The SAREX process was developed with the specific goal of supporting EPA’s HSWA recycling exemptions. The SAREX process is a revolutionary state of the art waste minimization and recycling system for Listed and Characteristic Hazardous Waste generated from Petroleum Refining Facilities. Since its initial development the SAREX process has been used extensively throughout the United States and in Europe, Asia and Latin America and has been used to recycle and recover millions of tons of petroleum hazardous waste."

Mikie, OTHRider, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Thanks for all of that, Duke. Agree, bang up job on the site and contents!

The P-to-C trail sounds diverse and interesting. I don't think it has to be ST to be a good bikepack. The opposite, often.

As for the name...that would have been just straight weird for it to be about a Hollywood actor. Nice play.

Mikie and OTHRider like this.
  6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Yeah, except this actor founded a company that cleaned up "MILLIONS of TONS of petroleum hazardous waste," but what the hell. Maybe too complicated for the PC crowd to comprehend.

Oh yeah, another part of his legacy: https://johnwayne.org/aboutus/

Mikie, OTHRider and mike like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Okay, Jim, full disclosure: I don't like people who bully others. What reason would the Dook have to crush Zappa's hat? Twice? That he likes "fixin' hats" isn't a reason. :)

I digress! Back to bicycling?...

Mikie likes this.
  8. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Great Googly Moogly, I didn't know that! Hey, I had a friend who wouldn't date a girl until she'd listened to all his Zappa albums. Depending on her musical sensibilities, I guess that could be bullying, too! :confused:

OK, Mike, disclosure appreciated. :thumbsup: Thanks! Gonna ride now, but not in Oregon. 98 in Ashland today. :unsure:

Old&InTheWay and mike like this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Man! That site just sent my heart! One it is a beautiful layout, Two the pics were insipiring, Three I want to ride it right now I feel like packing the car!
    That is a good find and I am so jacked that trails that traverse an entire state just seem to be popping up more and more! Makes a feller almost forget about SOT!:whistling:
    Thanks for this! So mucho!

kioti, Old&InTheWay and mike like this.
  10. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    I'm sure CA and WA will be connected to OTT soon enough....

But yeah, lots of bikepacking routes popping up all over. Check out bikepacking.com.

I look at some of them though and start to think people are creating routes for the sake of creating routes and not putting a lot of thought or scouting into them. Some look a lot better than others just based on local knowledge and what they could have included vs what they did.

@mike is your memory getting bad? A link showed up below as I was typing to another thread about OTT from a year ago that you commented on :) https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/oregon-timber-trail.6234/

kioti and Mikie like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Thanks, ev. My memory is actually not getting bad; I think it bottomed out about 17 years ago when I started letting the weez do all the thinking. Maybe my bandwidth was taken up by the AZT. Doing the best with what I don't got, ya know... :unsure::geek:

kioti, Old&InTheWay and Mikie like this.
  12. da big hills

da big hills Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Well now you see why I go to Oregon each August. I have riden many of those places that they mention. Tipanogos lake is awesome. there is a high trail from the camp that ends at a large clear lake under a larger volcanic peak that will still have snow. If you go mid week you will be the only one there, some people do not like that. Other places mentioned Gold Lake, row boat only, great campspots right on the lake in the pines. Clear lake and the McKenzie lava land trail. Olallie lake is way up a long gravel road but it is very close to Mt Jefferson which is a huge volcano. This end is more popular with people since you are near Portland and Salem.
    The best part of Oregon in August... No Deet, the bugs are gone and the beer is cold, the riding insane if you like that kind of thing. But you need to be confortable with solo riding because you will not see anyone and there is no cellphone coverage.
    Happy heavenly trails

OTHRider likes this.
  13. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    It does sound rad. Did a one-week OR trip many years ago and had a blast. Need to redirect there from CO one of these times.

14. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Had to think of this thread...

John Wayne's days of inclusion in airport nomenclature are numbered. Focus group results not looking so hot. Orange County Airport...coming to OC. What will they do with that statue? And the signage that reads "JWA Airport"... :laugh::geek:

mtnbikej and Runs with Scissors like this.
  15. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    What does this info got to do with OTT?

16. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Oopsie...looks like the Topic Police™ missed their morning coffee-induced evacuation. Good luck on IMTBT, copper. :geek:

HBkites likes this.