Oregon^Coos Bay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hill^billy, May 23, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Well it looks like the time has come for me to send off another son from the nest for a new chapter in his life. Of course I wish him only the best! He is my youngest of two sons 19, and is headed off to Coos Bay
    Community College for a culinary degree, I will be moving him up there in about 3 weeks, happy and a bit sad at the same time. So I was wondering if some of you more well traveled riders could help me decide weather or not to bring my mountain bike? I've heard this place is really beautiful! Ok, I am kidding about wheather or not to bring the bike ;). Any who, (happy part), to my surprise :) there is the Blue Ridge Trail System in Coos. Any of you boys and girls been there, or can someone point me to some good stuff even around Coos?

knucklebuster, ridinrox and Mikie like this.
  2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Very cool Doug. The Oregon coast is beautiful. Let us know when he returns so he can cook us all a wonderful dinner.

herzalot, hill^billy and Mikie like this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Forget THAT! Let's all go up to Coos Bay and ride the heck out of the trails and have him cook us dinner there! :rolleyes:

4. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Yes, for his c-cap inturn graduation at UCLA all of the graduates made us dinner and dessert and it was really really good! My wife is a good cook also so I'm pretty lucky, the only thing I can make is a good bowl of cereal.

driffter33, MTBHotRod, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  5. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I can't speak to Coos Bay but you can definitely do some riding stops on the way back.

Take Hwy 101 home through the redwoods. Paradise Royale would be the must do ride. It's hard enough to get to for a normal trip but coming from the OR coast it is right on the way home. They have just built a new trail up there that looks to have awesome views

7004279_smallMed_77f4d41438815553.jpg

If you can do other stops as well, there is an awesome ride in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, and another one in Humboldt Redwoods State Park a bit further north. Supposedly the trails at Arcata Community Forest are good but I've never ridden them. If you need even more stop in Mendocino for a couple days and ride.

If you return on I-5, Ashland super D course is great, and the shuttle company will get you to the top.

hill^billy, Mikie, ridinrox and 3 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @evdog I done did Paradise Royale back in '09. It's fo real! What a great trail. It was 105* when we left the main highway and it was about 68* in the King's Range for the ride. Amazing. That photo is awesome too. Here's a couple at sunset from that trip (that was our Seasons trip to Whistler).

Car at Kings Range.JPG
    Humboldt Sunset2.JPG

hill^billy, Mikie, kioti and 3 others like this.
  7. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Nice, @herzalot. If you rode it in 2009 you probably missed the flow trail they built right off the campground. It has some respectable tables, gap jumps and wall rides.

I've ridden it twice now, once in 2010 on the way home from a week in OR and a year or two later heading home to BC for Xmas. That first trip we had similar temps at around 105F. An hour south on Hwy 101 one of my truck tires decided it didn't want to continue life anymore. We were joking, how long until the next one explodes? Turns out it was less than half an hour. Walmart in Ukiah saved our butts otherwise we would have missed a day of work. Got home 330am, as it was. Highly worth the stop though! I am itching to get back and ride the new trail. That pic isn't mine unfortunately, it is off MTB project. My pics from the trip looked more like this: (my camera wasn't working well in low light on the trail)

048.jpg

hill^billy, ridinrox and herzalot like this.
  8. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Sweet!! H^B you couldn't have picked a better time to post this: @doublewide and I are hitting Bend Oregon this coming month (last week of June).

I needed some ideas on where to ride while we drive up there.

Greengiant (STR) will be showing us Santa Cruz. I'd like to ride Montana de Oro. I was also told to ride Oakridge near Bend.

I can not wait!!!!!!!!

hill^billy and Mikie like this.
  9. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Thanks evdog! Hopefully I can talk my wife into letting me hit at least one of those trails on the way back?

ridinrox likes this.
  10. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Cool Rox! Sounds like your in for one EPIC TRIP! Can't wait for the report!

ridinrox likes this.
  11. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Hey Rox> I have also decided on Bend, I've been given the number of a pro that apparently lived there for 6 years, I will be giving him a call tomorrow to get some info about where the best of the purity is. Maybe we could ride together? I can't wait!!!!!!

ridinrox and Maddog like this.
  12. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    I'll be in Bend the last week of July so you'll have to take good notes! It's on our possible retirement location list so we'll be checking the place out closely. Alpine trail and Makenzie River are good shuttle rides I'm considering. After Bend, we're going over to Boise then down through Reno.

ridinrox and hill^billy like this.
  13. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Sou
    Sounds like a good plan Greg, I may look into that route also?

Maddog likes this.
  14. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    A few of my friends have recommended that we drive straight to Bend and not try and fit in other rides (ie: Santa Cruz).

So we'll be driving straight up and riding ALL that Bend has to offer for 3-4 glorious days ...

I'll take lots of pics!!

When you going up @hill^billy?

hill^billy, Danimal, kioti and 2 others like this.
  15. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I'm in Mertle Point Oregan right now, will leave from there on Wednesday to head to Bend. It would be great if I could tag on a ride or two! When will you be there Rox???

ridinrox likes this.
  16. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Sweet!!

We're driving up Thur morning (8:00am). According to Google Maps it's a 13 hour drive. :gag:

We have all day Fri and Sat to ride.

I'll PM you my number ... :thumbsup:

hill^billy likes this.
  17. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    ^^ Full ride reports please with lots of pics. Greg and I will be hitting up some of those trails later this summer.
    And hill^billy would love to hear your feedback about retiring there ... we'll be investigating while we are there.

18. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I thought I would eventually meet you and Double Wide in Calif. Never imagined it would be in epic Oregon! :thumbsup:

ridinrox likes this.
  19. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Maddog is the one who will be retiring soon. I am going to ride epic ST! Unless I can't leave Oregan because of it's epicness, I am comptemplating his route to hit Boise while I'm out and about, seems like a good idea to me.

20. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    If you get an opportunity, Ashland is fun. Yes it is a shuttle but it's 5000 feet of fun trails down.

21. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Kim and Garrett are giving Mark and I the trails to definitely ride. So I'll keep ya posted Kay.

H2oChick likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?