O'Neill- Whiting- Blackstar- Whiting- O'Neill- Couch

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Faust29, Jun 14, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that my "Jason multiplier" for today is a solid 2. I'm betting he puts up a 100 mile day to make up for last weekend! I was happy with 50!

I started out with my usual climb up Live Oak in the nice cool temps. The last time I did this route on Superbowl Sunday, I did a 15 mile warmup around the Tijeras and Arroyo trails. Today, I just wanted to focus on keeping the pedals spinning at a decent rate- not worrying about fast times at all. My will was tested right in the beginning when I got passed going up Live Oak. I had to resist the urge to chase the rabbits! I can usually mash up Live Oak in the big ring, but today was little ring and not far off the granny gear. I did the little extra credit up to Vista, and lost the sleeves, as it was warming up pretty fast. They spent the rest of the day strapped to the bars. The little velcro tie down straps from Amazon are the best! I used 3 to secure the spare tube to the seatpost for Temecula, and 3 more for the pump. I always keep a couple strapped to the bars for emergencies.

I stayed on Live Oak to the Aliso Creek Path, and then backtracked to Glenn Ranch Road. Again, there were a couple riders going up, and I just stayed in the little ring, and spun merrily along. Normally, I would go up Dreaded, but I really wasn't feeling it today, so I went up Whiting Ranch Road. I hadn't climbed that in quite some time, and I forgot that it's also a decent climb to Four Corners and then to Mark's Bench.

Dedication is when you are off the bike due to broken bones, but you still manage to carry all your bike tools while hiking with the family! Cougar's very schnazzy multitool (Crank Brothers) saved me from a long ride with a loose rattling top cap mounted bottle cage... Without you, Mikie and IMTB, I would have assumed that he was just another hiker up there! That was a very nice surprise getting to meet his family... And his guys are still little! They don't ask for the car keys and $20! :D

After leaving Cougar, his family, and Mark's Bench, I filled the bottles at Four Corners, and headed for Blackstar. I couldn't resist the urge on Santiago Canyon, and followed a roadie for a couple miles. If I make the move to "ghetto 1x10", I'm going to miss the 38 for stuff like this... ;)

I took a decent food and water break at the Blackstar gate- 18 miles and 2000 feet to this point.

Blackstar was hot, dry, and as scenic as ever. I stayed in the little ring, and spun my way up for my slowest time ever- or so it seemed! I haven't checked Strava yet. I spent some time talking to Jeff at the trail that goes back down to the waterfall. If you see a guy on a late 90s Santa Cruz painted in camouflage, that's him... :D
    I still felt good when I got to Beek's but I was down to 1 bottle, which needed to get me back to Whiting for a fill up. With one bottle, I decided not to head out to Sierra Peak, as I usually do. Just an easy spin back down. Absolutely beautiful up there today!

Back to Whiting on the road, a quick fill-up, and out onto the road back to Live Oak- which absolutely kicked my butt!

50 miles and 6200 feet! I have to admit, though, that the last couple miles were around the RSM lake. I hit the lake path with 48 miles, and wanted to top it off! The scenery is not bad... :D

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.strava.com/activities/325623916" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.strava.com/activities/325623916</a>

IMG_4593 (2).jpg

IMG_4611.jpg

2. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    It was nice running into you at Mark's bench up there at the top of Dreaded. It seems like you put in some solid mileage today! I'm both jealous and not, hehe.

I was extremely glad I was able to help you out up there. Was going hiking with the family, needed water, threw on the ol' hydration pack. Didn't empty any of the bike specific stuff, and viola! Helped a rider in need :)

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I think J only managed 80 miles or so. Pretty good guess though. You guys are both completely out of your minds.

Nice job! :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Hey....I resemble that remark. :? :lol:

5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    If my math is correct, I'm only 60% as crazy as he is.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?