One More eBike Debate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikie, Sep 5, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Move along. Move along.

2. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    W
    Correct we all speed.

3. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    Over it... see you on the trails.

Faust29, doublewide, CBone and 6 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    @Mikie don't despair. Those who know how to deal with reality will stick. Will it be enough to make this site viable? Only time will tell.

@Ebruner 's story was moving. It was telling. It was from the heart, and I think it was a wonderful and compelling thing, the sort of thing I wish I could have shared with my father. The fact that we acknowledge that is what's important; the fact that we digress and bring up other, tangential discussions along with it is a good thing.

Let's not forget the venue. This site is in the ether; to many it is therefore not reality. They may say things here they would never say in person. It's not the same.

At the same time, let's try to remember that it is in the ether. What is said here really isn't going to change the world; it's not going to change anyone's life; it's for sure not going to get anyone killed. If we disagree, it's completely expected. We're individuals. It's how we react to that disagreement that almost matters.

I'm one of those who is comfortable in his own skin. I really don't care whether other people agree with me. If others can meet me halfway, and enjoy the discussion for what it is, fine. If not, well, no skin off my nose. I'm good with that too.

What we do here is exchange stories, views, passions, and sometimes expose our inner demons and bigotry. So be it. Let the other guy be who he is. If you (any of you) can't accept that, ignore it. It's way more productive to ignore it than to fight it.

5. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Fighting to ignore this statement, not producing results tho....

6. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I have to ask....the fact that I have stated positions that you don't agree with is important enough to cause you angst? I really am curious....

7. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    You, I mean they, are sick.

8. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

That may be the case , but then I guess it can all even out on the down hill, when you know that guy is still behind you somewhere, but you can’t feel or hear him anymore? And he might be on a 26” bike?

9. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Just messing with your words :)
    It sounds funny....what does ignoring something produce?
    Fighting something can produce change or whatever.

Just messing, no angst!

10. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Got it. :p

But in all seriousness what it produces is a lack of flame wars. Which is always a good thing, because those always end in flames. :thumbsup:

11. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Prove it.:D

12. levity

levity Member

Name:
    gone
    I still prefer my Stumpjumper... but my Levo is a fun bike to ride!

(my emphasis)

13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    26"? And I'm the guy pushing the envelope?! :p

I'm (relatively) new to the sport... I've never actually owned a 26" bike. :oops:

14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Until the site momentum is driving mountain bikers away. That's when I step in... :sneaky:

15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'm new to it myself, but I actually had a 26" bike. From Walmart (or equivalent). It served its purpose. Then I replaced it. :thumbsup:

16. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    That’s the best way to be!

hill^billy and Cyclotourist like this.
  17. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley

I agree with you 100%! For me personally..hearing, reading, watching people argue just brings up a little anxiety so I steer clear. That’s just me.. and to each his own:thumbsup: But I will fight for what I strongly believe in if necessary, so don't think of me as a wuss.;)

18. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if reality is driving people away then this venue is not viable to begin with.

If the majority really cannot discuss and discourse with those with whom they may disagree, the yes, it's doomed. Do the majority of folks here really go there? They leave because their sensibilities are offended?

I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone who can ride a bike can be this shallow.

19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I suggest you subscribe to Tommy's YouTube channel for concrete examples.

20. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Some are just sensitive and may not be able to control those feelings. Even if its just a conversation.
    Debate is to close to heated argument for me. I still struggle to stay out of it even though it brings anxiety to me also. Grew up with constant argueing, no likie. Want people to be able to express themselves but our need to be right causes friction in many cases.
    Keeping away from heated subjects on this sight would be beneficial. There are plenty of places to play those games.

21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  22. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Sorry. I don't do social media. Unless this counts as such and then this is the limit of it.

23. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    My sentiments exactly! Or maybe we can set up an argument/ debate thread and we sensitive souls can stay fa fa away!

24. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Wow, this takes me back:eek:

Cyclotourist likes this.
  25. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Wait. Don't you know that 110% of the world's population has personal Facebook pages?

26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Tommy is the “Look at Me” YouTuber who is shooting us in the foot, and helping to lose access to trails. You may not do social media, but that doesn't mean it won't impact you. Sadly.

27. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Exactly, this is my one and only social media outlet. And it's seems to be less and less an enjoyable outlet and more confrontational and divisive.

I hate to say this, but it might be a good idea for me to step away until the fun returns. I'll decide on how I feel over the next few days .

Now carry on y'all.

28. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Can’t ‘like’ this one :(

Cyclotourist and Danimal like this.
  29. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Okay, now wait a minute...:)
    Now you know I ain’t picking on you Dan-O...

But that brings up a point.
    We have had good threads and not so good threads. I don’t like the not so good threads just as much as anyone else. But pretty confident we have had WAYYYY more good threads than bad.

But there are a lot more good options here than one thread going astray or having a tough or heated debate. One can always choose to not engage or even click on the thread.

I agree we have had our share of tough threads lately, but c’ mon, for the most part this typically is a happy place.

Since when are we going to start censoring what anyone says. I mean, sometimes heated debates happen. I would prefer it to be an intelligent unemotional discussion. And I only mean unemotional in relation to name calling, I guess yelling would mean all caps and lots of exclamation points...;)

Once again as some recall we are arguing over eBikes for the most part. And what did we have to end up doing the last time we had the eBike wars? That’s right, we banned the discussions.

Do what I do all. When you want or got to have a tough conversation with someone here on imtbtrails... PM them!

It’s not all going to be rainbows and unicorns here (that’s your cue @doublewide )
    and there will be more tough discussions in the future as well.

But I really think it’s time to get back to serious imtbusiness!

So can we let this fashizzle go for a while and go ride our bikes?
    And focus on important things like Taco Tuesday, the Derailed Thread, life behind bars, you know... the important stuff! o_O:rolleyes:

30. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Yep, this is social media, everyones seems to have different levels of addiction to it!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?