One More eBike Debate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikie, Sep 5, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Thanks Mikie.

2. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    Thanks. I'd honestly prefer to just delete the entire thread and if that were in the thread tools, I'd have done it already. I knew this would turn into a debate about the e-bike side of the sport and I was ready for it. My biggest concern is becoming part of the problem of mountain biking being a crime and something like this being used as ammo.

Regardless, I felt that the nature of the understanding both sides of this issue could potentially outweigh the public admission of illegal access. I realize now, that was wrong and I shouldn't have gone for this ride with my pops and if I did, I certainly should have not shared it publicly.

I find it interesting how a sport that seems like it should be inclusive pushes me into seclusion the more I attempt to share it with people. Sometimes I question if we even deserve to have any access on multi-use trails with how the average (weakest link in the chain) rider treats other users groups... Sh!t... even with how we treat each other. It seems like I go through this with every sport I do, skiing, motocross, skateboarding, scuba diving etc... they always become more hassle to share/discuss then it's worth. Back to my solitude and riding sans sharing and sans ride reports.

3. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    You are fine my friend. The story was great. Lucky to still have your Dad. Have an awesome weekend.

4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I rode today at Sycamore Canyon in Riverside with Craig the Electric Boogaloo. The man has Parkinson’s Disease and rides an Ebike with a Bosch motor in order to participate. No other riders or hikers encountered along the way; no harm; no foul. Good times had by all. Small scale infractions are incremental impacts. However, when thousands get on board, the ship will sink. Oh well. At least there’s TV.

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

You are good.....i have less concern with them out on the mtn fire roads. While Blackstar is technically closed to motorized vehicles. While the rest of the mtn is in lockdown it was the only local viable option.

Now change the location to Oaks or Whiting, and that is a different story.

Don’t get me wrong, I still razz the Ebikes on B* when I see them. Hell, that is where Suz demo’d The one she rode.

6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Glad this was all posted, every bit of it. The original post, the thoughts from others.
    We need to be able to listen to and articulate opposing views like big boys and girls.

7. bpacifica

bpacifica Member

Name:
    billy
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Shuttle
    This comparison may not apply but I have thought about this often since I have delved into the ebike arena and experienced first hand some of the negative responses and comments along the way. In my opinion, the handful of hardcore riders who ride and climb using single speed bikes are the true rockstars of this sport. I have wondered what their feeling might be about the evolution of bikes regarding suspension, GEARING, etc. What do they really think about when someone blows by them on a climb using the latest technology in order to go faster, longer, etc. Don't advances in technology "shrink trail systems" on some level? I don't necessarily want to throw fuel on the fire but I know that there are single speeders on this site and this is a question that has been burning inside me.

8. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I see no blur. One of my regular riding friends rides a bike that looks just like it. You can't tell it is what it is until you see him right on my tail on a hard climb. He is still pedaling, still working, still riding it like a bicycle. And, while is regular push bike is better for tech riding, he still doesn't like to get airborne on either, so he mainly rides the electric.

9. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    krylon-spray-can-3d-model-max-obj-3ds-fbx-c4d.png

Maddog, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  10. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Yah, me too, still not going to change anything, the outcome will be the same, some winners, and some losers. There will be a positive outcome for me , I pedal (for now). I win.

11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Oh yeah, I expect no minds/opinions to be changed. But we should at least being able to talk about it at the grown up table.

12. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Bark bark bark, chase tail chase tail, bark bark bark. This is the outcome more often than not.

13. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

And that’s ok, people need to vent, so post away, and above all get out and ride your bike, it might prolong your life, that is if it is worth it to you to prolong it?

Edit: Ride what and who you want. As far as bikes are concerned, I have said this before. When the bike companys take this trend to the next level due to popularity, like no more human powered bike, or just putting the bulk of there technological research into electric mopeds, then I’ll just have to buy up enough bicycles to last me to the end, or maybe even give in cause old is old?

14. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Wait, can I sit at the grown up table now?

YAY!!!!

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

As one of those SS guys you speak of. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Your body is more capable than your brain. You head tells you to quit way before your body will. Learning to block out or ignore what you head is telling you, will show you what you can really do.

With that said, you still have to put effort in.

As for what we think about the evolution of bikes.....up to earlier this year, I was still on older’ish technology. However, my new Hightower has introduced me to dropper posts, 12 spd drivetrains and new/modern geometry.

Bike these days are much more capable than they used to be. Lighter, faster, more efficient, with more travel.

I still prefer the SS....but the HT is a fun bike to ride.

16. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    That's a great question. Check some of his ^^ @mtnbikej's ride reports. :)

The single speeders I know come from a geared and fully-suspended past. They make the choice for a variety of reasons, but can still be very fast--often climbing faster and going long distances. But then they are often very accomplished riders in the first place.

My "shrinking trail systems" comment doesn't apply just to E-bikes. Trail runners get through a space faster than hikers. Mountain bikers generally cover more ground than those on foot. So a relatively small park can seem large on foot and smaller on a bike. A park that takes an hour to circumnavigate on a standard bike could feel less expansive on a motorized one. It's mostly a matter of perception relating to the adequacy of a certain area.

From a trail maintenance standpoint, more mileage in the same amount of time represents more impact like brake bumps and tread displacement by the same number of users. With the exception of one stellar individual, I haven't seen the local E-bike community get involved in trail maintenance. Most of what we do is by-hand, on a volunteer basis. If and where E-biking is allowed (I'm talking about single track/not dirt roads), I hope the riders are giving back and helping keep the trails in good shape.

17. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Of course!
    But you still get the plastic plates.

18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    In general, and based on past experience, I'd tend to agree with that statement. BUT....(there's always a but, and it usually ain't pretty)...it does happen that sometimes your brain says keep going and your body won't or shouldn't. Believe it. I live it.

19. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I went from a 3 x 9 full suspension 26"
    To a 2 x 11 full suspension 29"
    Looking at a 1 x 11 hard tail 29"
    Perhaps it is inevitable to end up where it all began? On a Schwinn... :)

Though one thing I will never give up is disk brakes :)

20. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Wow.. this thread blew up.. no time to catch up...
    Whats legal... whats not.. sometimes a bit confusing..
    Ie stairsteps is legal. But only if u go down one side vs the other?
    Does anyone really know?

21. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Brother this thread is a new thread. I moved it. :)

22. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I need a nap

23. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  24. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Good reminder Mikie! I would not want your job here..I don’t like the tension that comes with some posts.

Faust29, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  25. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Light hearted is what I look for. Been real serious lately with all that goes on in the world. News sucks, lifes better without it. I still giggle at farts!

26. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Consider: If there is tension in you, it is of your own making. This is the interwebs. No one is in your face and forcing you to conform to their view at the point of a gun, no matter how "heated" it may get. Never take anything said (typed) here personally and you are well on your way to a yoga-free - wait, make that tension-free :p - life. People come from vastly different backgrounds, upbringings, religions, non-religions, natures, nurtures, mental states, et cetera, ad nauseam. Be sure of your own beliefs, confirm them with facts, and nothing else can really bother you.

Unless, of course, you let it. You, not others, are in control of your emotions and states of being.

27. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    As long as it's a Stingray. :cool::thumbsup:

28. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    And I just went and sold my Racer...

29. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    ?Huh

Edit: I get it now.

30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    There are no single speeders here. :stop: :cautious:

But if there were... They might think that what you call an advance in gearing is really a performance hobbling crutch. I... uh not me really, but if I knew any of those single speeders, they might say that they love to hear the sound of shifting on a climb. It means the rabbit is running out of steam and slowing down. Much easier to catch after the "click, click, click."

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?