On Bike storage...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danimal, Mar 2, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I used to wear a camelback for every ride. Then started to use a water bottle on the bike and figured that all I really needed for 90% of my rides was a multi-tool and flat repair goodies. Decided to only wear the CBak on long rides where I need more water, and on any ride I'll be adding or shedding layers.

Thought about it and the must carry items for me are;
    CO2 x2, inflator, Stans Dart, Multitool ( w/ chain breaker and tire levers ), woolftooth quick link tool w/ quicklink, and a few Tums. Figure if this doesn't work, I'll be close enough to walk out.

Looked into bike storage solutions and ended up buying a Lezine medium under seat storage bag. Size is good, out of the way and with a little Tetris action was able to fit everything in it and a mini Swiss knife with a 1" blade ( for those cougars of course ).

The Lezine was quite nice, except when I dropped the seat and had hard compression on the rear shock. Then I'd hear a rub. Oh no biggie, look and didn't see anything. Well...after a few months of this there is a hole worn it it so it's gotta go :(. Yes, I know I should have known better, but sometimes just need learn things on my own. Should have just put it on the Roady but nooo....:facepalm:

So my question is about frame storage. I'm looking at a smallish bag that attaches to the frame with a strap and was interested if those of you that use them find it convenient to get in and out of quick, which is kinda important for me. Any of you have any other ideas or recommendations?

I'm looking at the wolf tooth B-RAD .6L, any one have experience with this item? The Good the Bad and the Ugly...and can pay with BTD points. :thumbsup:
    https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/wolf-tooth-components-b-rad-teklite-roll-top-bag-06l?sg=501

(Needing a separate base not included to use water bottle mounts is kinda sketchy In My opinion.)

TIA!

2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I thought top tube storage would be perfect so got one for the road bike. It's ok, but for me kinda in the way when I'm straddling the bike @Mikie style ( like anyone can pull it off like he does ;)).

Also, the fork only has a inch or less above the top tube...I tried to put it on there once and didn't fit :unsure:. I really wanted it to work too.

OTHRider, Mikie, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  4. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    OTHRider, Mikie, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  5. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    There are plenty of options out there depending where you want to mount something. Doesn't Specialized have a hidden compartment in the down tube for tools?

Planet bike snack sack - goes on top tube in front of seatpost or behind the stem. https://www.planetbike.com/snack-sack-bike-bag/
    Wolf tooth B-rad - strap to any frame tube you want, they have a couple sizes. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/accessories/products/b-rad-teklite-roll-top-bag-0-6l
    Bedrock Sinbad, Tapeats or micro frame bag - https://www.bedrockbags.com/accessory-bags
    Revelate toolcash https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/accessories/ToolCash or feedbag https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/cockpit/MountainFeedbag.
    Rogue Panda downtube bag. I have 2, one goes on downtube the other on a fork leg for bikepacking. https://www.roguepanda.com/shop/oracle-downtube-bag/

Lots of companies make similar stuff to all these. Feedbags can hold a bottle or even a small jacket. The small tool bags can usually strap on anywhere.

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I also have the OneUp pump, with the tools stashed inside. My favorite tool system of all the ones I've had... It's either in the bracket attached to the water bottle mount, or in my jersey pocket. Don't leave home without it. :thumbsup:

I keep the spare tube strapped to the bike on the down tube or seat tube with either a Granite Mountain strap or with the RaceFace strap. If I also need to carry a windbreaker, I'll use a second strap on the top tube. The straps are secure...

Stkx66, OTHRider, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I've gone back and forth with different setups and have settled on just a simple pouch for now. It holds everything I need and fits in a jersey pocket. Best thing is, I can use it with either bike.

Screenshot_20220221-180157_Instagram.jpg

8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Specialized has the SWAT Storage on the stump jumper. I have the Epic so no such luck.
    Kinda leaning toward the wolf tooth, but some good options on this thread from everyone. :)

Faust29, Mikie, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  9. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    For my in town rides, my frame has internal storage and I have a tube, levers, Co2 and a have the Bontrager BITS Tools in my headset. I also have a Revelate Gas Tank top tube bag and have for the last several years. Can carry GU’s other types of food, plus my keys and phone.

For my longer or out of town rides, I have an Osprey pack loaded with all the essentials plus a first aid kit, spares and spare clothing.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/Cockpit/GasTank

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...p/bontrager-bits-integrated-mtb-tool/p/26826/

OTHRider, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  10. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Most of my rides I only need 1 bottle.
    I have two cages and use one of the Specialized kegs in the other. Heard they are currently unavailable. Maybe ebay or just use a water bottle?
    I have a piece of rag in mine also to stop rattles.

OTHRider, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I don’t know how you guys carry anything that weighs more than a few tissues in jersey pockets.. just feels weird to me and yes I wear a pack. Tried a fanny pack and that was just as bad if not worse than the centrifugal force of stuff in a jersey pocket.

I’ve been thinking about going packless and the only way I’d be able to do it is strapping everything to my bike and maybe a thing or two in short pockets, just can’t carry anything in my jersey at all.

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

You get used to it. I do a multi tool, mini pump and my phone....each one gets its' own pocket.

However, I cannot stand stuff in my shorts pockets.

Cornholio, OTHRider, scottay and 5 others like this.
  13. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Hadn't thought of this. Second bottle cage with the stash in it. Good idea..hmmm...

Faust29, pperrelle, Rumpled and 4 others like this.
  14. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I also have the SWAT wedge. It holds a lightweight tube, a CO2 inflator and one CO2, and one tire lever. Tight fit.
    Can go minimalist with this. Bad thing there is the original bike multi tool doesn't fit
    If I go on a ride where I need more bottles (prolly need some clothes too) then I just go to the backpack. Keg goes in pack and a bottle back in the cage.

15. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    redwoods, Danimal, Rumpled and 2 others like this.
  16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    OTHRider, Danimal and Danmtchl like this.
  17. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    ~JB~, Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  18. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    OTHRider, Danmtchl, scottay and 2 others like this.
  19. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    OTHRider, CBone and Danmtchl like this.
  20. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    A single Lead Out handlebar bag carries everything I need for tools/co2/tube/lube/plugs. I’ve moved from standard tubes to Tubolito tubes. They work just as well and pack down to a third of the size.

If I’m riding a long 5-6 hour ride that means I usually will want a pack because of hydration. Since I’m using my running vest pack carrying a bladder, I will forego the handlebar bag and put that stuff in the pack.

I am also only purchasing bibs with thigh pockets now. They’ve become indispensable for carrying ride food. I don’t care if I look more XC in bibs. I’m riding my bike not putting on a fashion show.

:)

21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Here's my Tallboy in bagger mode for the wilds of the Post Office Loop. It has a Revelate Jerry Can which works great for extra stuff and I take on and off as needed, a couple Randi Jo Fab Bartender bags which are indispensable for every day stuff (phone, sleeves, extra H20 bottle, etc), and the the Bedrock Design EDC frame bag which tucks in front of the triangle and totally fits with the shock. It fits PERFECTLY and has all my tools and repair stuff.

The Bartender + EDC combo is HIGHLY recommended!

51521290033_07c205e17f_b.jpg

22. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Doesn't solve the problem on the short term, but this was one of the biggest selling points on my E29. The SWAT box carries everything I need for 99% of my riding.

23. G Haymond

G Haymond Member

Name:
    G
    I have the backcountry.com/blackburn-outpost-carryall-bag Blackburn Outpost Carryall Bag which you can stuff phone, tools, beer, whatever and is easy to take on and off around the handlebar/stem. I also really like the backcountry research straps, I have both the mutherload and saddlestrap which offer tons of different configuration options.

Danmtchl and Danimal like this.
  24. G Haymond

G Haymond Member

Name:
    G
    The handlebar bag I posted is pretty much identical to the bartender bag you posted and I love how convenient it is. I originally bought it to put on my bike I haul my kids around on and used it so much I bought another to have for my mountain bike. I don't use it if the terrain is too rough, but for mellower rides it's awesome and stuff all kind of goodies in there.

Danmtchl, Danimal and Cyclotourist like this.
  25. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I have one or two on every bike... I find them indispensable! There are a lot of makers out there, and they are all fine, but I like supporting Randi Jo Fab.
    Literal mom and pop business in the Oregon woods! https://www.instagram.com/randijofab/?hl=en

26. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Thanks for all the insite, once again imtb comes through.:thumbsup:
    Now... decisions decisions...

27. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I stopped carrying my cell phone. Now I am down to 1 pint and a bandana

28. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Just get a decent scrotum bag and put your tube, zip ties, tire lever, multi-tool, etc in that. Mtn biker crack (Tailwindzzss) goes in the left-hand jersey pocket. Car key-fob in the center. Spare gloves/arm warmers/wind vest int he right.

Problem: Solved. :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Danimal, Cornholio and Danmtchl like this.
  29. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I made a mistake and googled “scrotum bag” because I thought you were actually talking about a product. :devilish:

Walleye, Danmtchl, Obsidian and 5 others like this.
  30. solislbc

solislbc Well-Known Member

Name:
    El
    Current Bike:
    2001 GT Zaskar
    Wolftooth in stashed in the handle bar ends. Multi tool on one side, plug kit and chain breaker on the other side. I like the aluminum ends. They provide some protection to my bar ends and grips. I’ve had to drill out the ends of my grips though.

On longer rides, co2, levers and spare rubber on a backcountry strap.

Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and Danimal like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?