OMG California... one step away from another disaster

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by BonsaiNut, May 30, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    California Coastal Commission shot down a desal plant in Huntington Beach last month(ish), so obviously we don't have a water shortage.

Just sayin'

BonsaiNut, CBone, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Earth is getting warmer, so the glaciers are melting. Glaciers are melting so freshwater is being added to the oceans, decreasing salinity globally. However if we take fresh water OUT of the ocean, we are artificially increasing salinity (in a small area until it can mix with a broader area)... no bueno says California.

FWIW Google "Israel Water Diplomacy". In part of the world that has historically had tenuous water supplies, Israel has become the global leader in water desalinization technology. It has gone from not having enough water to being a net water exporter to two neighbors with which it doesn't always have the best ties - Jordan and Palestine. Perhaps if I were Oregon state, I would build a big water desal plant on the California state line, then sell all the water to California at a nice markup. If you can't fix stupid, you can at least profit from it. Did you know salinity of the world's oceans varies geographically? In the Red Sea, which has limited inflows and outflows, the water salinity is 10-15% higher than the ocean average. The Red Sea is known as being a biological wonderland.

How do I know all this? I invest in water desalinization technology. Because I'm not California.

main-qimg-cf60ace18546de6902f0ae7c64a0370d.jpg

Danmtchl, Danimal and CBone like this.
  3. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    Technically, north OC does not have a water shortage. We reclaim water and are just fine.
    FWIW, reclaim is about a quarter of the cost of desal.
    and since we Northerners don’t need it, the water district wants to charge us for the cost of producing it, and then turn around and sell to South county for all those homes Nugget is building. :D

4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Rancho Mission Viejo in da house! BTW, the original Environmental Impact Report for Coto de Caza was dozens of pages in length! I have reference sections longer than that document.

5. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    windex

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I second the Windex. :cool:

7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Closet Greeks? :laugh:

DangerDirtyD, Danimal and Voodoo Tom like this.