Oldy... Steamboat Mtn Bike Park a couple years back

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by MCB2K, May 11, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    [youtube]VllSxKpHm9E[/youtube]

2. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Nice vid. Mtn biking can hurt every now and again.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Long run. I didn't know Steamboat actually had a mtb park. I was there in 2010, but my back was shot, so I couldn't ride.

Nasty crash. Walk us through it. What happened? What was the damage? I saw blood and I saw your helmet off in the weeds. Were you alone? Did you get a concussion?

4. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    This was a a case of getting too comfortable with the terrain. As you can see the first few minutes were fast, flowing and the grade was pretty consistent. I became a little complacent, and then wham... the trail steepened into a triple whoops section and I got behind the bike, eventually getting thrown.

I broke the helmet, it did it's job. Got my bell rung pretty good, possibly a mild concussion. My frame-less sunglasses did a number on the side of my face, which is where the blood came from. An elbow and a shin/knee rash and a heavy impact to my shoulder. Nothing broken, but the doc said it was probably a sprain. Sprained a couple fingers on my left hand. My ring finger swelled to the point I had to have my wedding ring cut off.

Lessons learned:
    • Don't charge a trail you aren't familiar with, as the terrain can change fast.
      Drop posts are a necessity, I didn't have one prior to this.
      Frame-less sunglasses don't belong on the trail.
      Don't ride with rings on your hands.
      GoPro's are cool.

I picked things up and rode off the mountain. Some minor damage to the Tallboy, but nothing disabling.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?