OAKS!!!

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by DBMX119, Dec 10, 2017.

1. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I'm surprised I haven't seen any posts on here about Oaks being open. Maybe I missed them?

I hit it yesterday on the CX bike..... In the wind. The wind was really bad out there, so much so it was hard to stand up at the flag pole.

Overall, Oaks is in great shape considering what it went through. For the most part things are the same, but there is a lot more sand on a few of the trails (especially out in Weir). I assume this is because there is no protection with the vegetation gone.

The place is a bit eerie to say the least, but there's a lot of beauty at the same time.

I think the parks crews need to get a lot of credit for opening Oaks in a limited capacity, when the could have easily kept it closed until everything was recovered, cleared and ready. They get a lot of heat for closing illegal trails, sanitizing others, etc, so I think its only fair to recognize them when they go above and beyond to get us access.

On a side note, the wind sure was nice on SART on the way home. I'm 2nd or 3rd on most of the segments on the dirt side and I was just cruising the whole way.

Here's a link to my strava ride, and its got a bunch of pix.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1308440512

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Yeah, they got the park opened quickly, but it wasn't by choice.

I haven't been out there. I heard it was a zoo out there yesterday though.

Access and trails are still limited. My entrance point is still closed indefinitely.

At least there was one benefit yesterday with the wind blowing as bad as it was....no one got airlifted off of Chutes Ridgeline jumps.

3. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    We rode Santiago Oaks today just because - stayed on the trails and it made us ride different entry and exit points than our norm. The OC Parks crew has done a great job marking the areas to keep peeps on the trail (reminiscent of old ski patrol days). The trails in Oaks look to be perfectly in tact; they are not sandy, loose or have debris. Over in Weir, which took the heat of the fire, there are some loose spots but it is good shape considering. I still think the fire 10 years ago was much worse to the park system with scorched ground and total "moonscape." There is a lot of regrowth already happening at the bases of the taco trees. The park came back much stronger after the last fire and I see evidence it will do the same.
    You could see the smoke plume from the Thomas fire past LA

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Actually, it was discussed on Thursday.

http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/breaking-news-thread.5943/page-19#post-111812

5. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
  6. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    How so? Pressure from other groups? Trying to get it open since people were already riding in there?

SnakeCharmer and mtnbikej like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Let’s just say some users went to city government to get over the Parks heads to get the park reopened.

8. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    oh geez

I've been talking about riding there the last few days and have been surprised at how many people said they never stopped.

SnakeCharmer and mtnbikej like this.
  9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    If that's considered a good thing, it was me. If not, I have no idea what you're talking about...

10. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    Watch out for your tires if you ride near any of the burned down fencing ... I picked up about 20 wood screws on Saturday next to a couple of them.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Yeah, they were citing people, but apparently that want enough.

Old&InTheWay and SnakeCharmer like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Yup, rushed to get open....not able to get thing done thoroughly.

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I tend to think it was not a good thing.

14. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    We were at carbon canyon.. closed on sat.. sign said fire conditions... so we went to the oaks..heard it was open.. but our usual access was closed.. went to elementary school..open access..
    Spoke w ranger at 3bs.. said oaks was only open bc of politics.. while all other parks were closed bc of fire danger..
    Winds were strong.. if fire then toast...
    Oaks trails in great shape..some soft spots.. moonscape..eerie...
    Chutes still closed.. bumble bee closed.. deer goat hawk peralta open n in good shape...little soft ..
    Lots of dead trees...
    Thank you for all ur hard work in making it open...

15. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Had day off so went back to the oaks...
    Lots of red tip vultures..one flew right in front of me at hawk beginning...
    For monday lots of traffic..horses..hikers.. excavators....only one other mtbker...
    Great day at oaks .. winds are gone

16. siata94

siata94 Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Also went on Saturday; so sad to see everything pretty much gone. Saw one beatle :-(.

17. Robbie

Robbie Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Rob
    Current Bike:
    Specialized camber evo
    Saw one beatle :-(

Paul or Ringo?

18. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    What was not a good thing? I have no idea what you're talking about :)

Old&InTheWay, pperrelle and mtnbikej like this.
  19. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Heading into Weir on Sunday there were two groups/gaggles/families of quail foraging. More that I've ever seen in one spot - 10-15 each side of the trail.
    Again harsh but still nice to see things showing positive signs. I want to believe people will be respectful of the situation and stay on the trails. That's at the top of my list to Santa.

BonsaiNut, MattB, bvader and 4 others like this.
  20. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Are there any more trails open or is it the same. Any updated Maps or the same as what's previously been posted?

21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

They reopened Chutes Trail and Chutes Ridgeline on Saturday. They also reopened Road Runner to IRP.

Coachwhip and BumbleBee from Coachwhip to Oaks remain closed. All the rest of the low trails at Oaks are closed.

herzalot likes this.
  22. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    Any insider info on why the one section of Bumblebee is closed? Based on tire tracks, everyone is just riding around the rope at the top and doing more damage than would be happening if they just opened it. I am sure they have their reasons, but it is getting ridden regardless.

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Perhaps it is a safety issue.....the hillsides on that trail are really steep. With no vegetation, the first rain we get may slide the trail away.

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    "everyone will behave themselves if they open the park up before it's ready". This is what everyone was saying. Your statement above just shows how we are shooting ourselves in the foot.

25. doublewide

doublewide Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    C'mon Jason, it really doesn't matter when they opened it, now or later on down the road, some people will never behave themselves. It's just their selfish nature.

DangerDirtyD, LLPoolJ and mtnbikej like this.
  26. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    John!

27. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Rode Weir loop, Deer trails. Pretty amazing fire damage. Trails were in good shape, a little sandy like others have posted. Burned Mercedes Benz, the property it's on is just the foundation!
    IMG_20171224_192526.jpg

IMG_20171223_090002.jpg

IMG_20171223_084548.jpg

IMG_20171223_084530.jpg

28. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley v2
    The Oaks side trails are open, correct? Its just Irvine Regional park that is closed... i checked websites but just wanted to confirm that i didn't read the sites wrong.

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Oaks is open.....you just cannot go into IRP. So you can enter from Chapman/Jamboree and head straight to Chutes.

30. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley v2
    Thanks for the info... hate to get all gussied up ready to ride and then can't enter the trails.

mtnbikej likes this.