Nov 14 -OC Classic/Non Dot Adventures Mountain Bike Race Series

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Gabby, Oct 16, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 11-14-15
  1. Gabby

Gabby Guest

Some upcoming XC Races are below. Please spread the word and please support them:

November 14, 2015
    OC Classic/Non Dot Adventures Mountain Bike Race Series in Casper’s Regional Park (San Juan Capistrano) http://nondotadventures.com

Also http://www.quickndirtymtb.com has a 50 mile and 30 mile race coming up.

-Gabby

Mikie, mtnbikej and MattB like this.
  2. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I just signed up for my last race of the "season".

I'll be competing in the Clydesdale division, and as long as I finish the ride, I should be on the podium when they hand out the overall awards (only 2 other riders raced in 2 of the 3 previous races). Hopefully we will have a strong Clydesdale group.

There is only one issue that hopefully they'll fix..... Please let the Clydesdale start before the sports women.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I'll be out there again....on the volunteer side.

Mikie, MnMDan, ridinrox and 1 other person like this.
  4. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Ditto!

Mikie likes this.
  5. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I'll be racing in the Beginner Men 30-39.

There is a greater than a 90% probability that I'll make the podium for the overall series awards. My first ever podium. There is a non-trivial chance I could take the top spot, but that would rely on some luck on some of the higher point scoring strong racers not coming back out for Casper's :)

My goal for the year was to make the podium for the series, and the main reason I'm likely going to make it is due to consistency and showing up to 4 races when other Beginners weren't as committed. I'm okay with getting a podium like that. I've been riding for less than 2 years, and consistency and experience are just as valuable as any single race performance.

I've asked the wife to bring the kids out to this one, mostly because of the lap format; it could be fun for the boys to see me cross through for lap 1 and then once more at the finish. It might be too cold in the morning for them to show, but we shall see!

Mikie, Luis, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  6. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Cougar (you probably know that) only the top three scores are used to calculate the overall winner. Racing all 4 races is not critical. Others who raced in two of the first three are races could end up on the podium.

Looking @ the overall standing there are five racers who races in two or more races in your category...... Good luck!

From the website:
    "The first 15 racers in each category will acquire points as listed below for completing the following races of the OC Classic Mountain Bike Race Series: Whiting, Aliso, Oaks, and Caspers. The overall individual series leaders in each category will win a custom award. Best 3 out of 4 races will count towards your points total."

Mikie, mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Good luck to you both!

I thought about doing this one, as it's one I can ride to from home, but @Cyclotourist tempted me away with a 40 miler on new dirt. That, and I'm still a little buzzed from Temecula. :gag:

Mikie, Cyclotourist, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  8. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Yup. While I haven't done all of the math in great detail, I have done napkin math. Due to me placing middle of the pack if any of the 6 1st or 2nd place guys from the previous race show and take 1st or 2nd in this race, their two races will be higher points than my three best (assuming I'll be middle of the pack again this race). Mathematically, only two of them can get more points and only if they previously got 1st or 2nd in any of the prior races. (As 1st and 3rd aren't enough to eclipse me if I remember doing the math right there). There is a guy (Michael) that has raced two before that if he shows for Casper's he'll beat me, so there is a chance that I fall to 4th in the series. However, if any of those three things doesn't happen, I will make the podium for the series. The one other guy who has three races under his belt I had struck up a friendship with over the series and he unfortunately can't come to the Casper's race (and my current points already are above his).

This is the least popular of the four races, so the chances are good - but it isn't a lock. If I can place high (which I doubt, Casper's was not a good race for me last year), I can help reduce the risk of getting out scored by two-race high scorers. But regardless, it'll be a good time. I haven't ever competed in an entire series before, and if I don't make the podium - I didn't deserve it :). If I do, I'll be really happy, even if I was points racing - but so be it. That's legit.

Mikie, Luis, MattB and 4 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    The World Cup is points racing (mtb and ski racing). You're in good company. Consistency is every bit as difficult as a one-race wonder - probably more so.

Mikie and Cougar like this.
  10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    So thinking of coming out now? Just pre-rode some of it, and good dirt!

Mikie likes this.
  11. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    I was in a similar situation last year. I had respectable finishes going into the last race, but nothing on the podium. If any one of the few guys who had podium finishes in two of the first 3 races showed up at Casper's, the podium for the series would have been full pretty quickly. I couldn't believe it when I lined up at the starting line and only one of them was there. I ended up with my best sport finish yet, 2nd place for the race (so what if there were only 5 in my class:whistling:), and 2nd place for the series. There's something to be said for consistency, showing up, and finishing every race.

This year's been a rough series for me. I blew it pacing myself at whiting with my best time up the first half of Dreaded, only to be so dead that I ended with my slowest time in 3 years. I felt good going into Aliso, then learned that I apparently can't handle heat and humidity, got fatigued, crashed twice, and pushed hard just to finish. The second crash wrecked my thumb, and I ended up off the bike for a month. So much for being in race shape for Oaks. After finishing 6th in every race so far, I'm pretty much mathmatically eliminated from the podium. The only way for me to make it into 3rd is for my teammate not to show up and for me to get 1st (neither of those is going to happen). At this point, I'm just looking forward to breaking my trend for the series so far, hoping to have a strong race, and maybe do better than 6th this time.

Good luck to everyone racing out there! And thanks to all of the volunteers!

Mikie, HBkites, BeckTrex and 3 others like this.
  12. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    2015 OC Classic 2nd Place.jpg

It wasn't my strongest race, but I did enough. First ever podium for any race, ever. While my wife came, the award process took too long, so she had to leave before I went to the podium, so I'll have to wait for the official pics to come out to see the imtbtrails jersey on the podium.

Nice seeing some familiar faces out there today!

Mikie, doublewide, BeckTrex and 13 others like this.
  13. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    That is awesome !!!

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    So 2nd in your class for the day and winner for the class overall? Awesome!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mikie, pperrelle and Cougar like this.
  15. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    No, I think I was 4th for the day, and 2nd for the Overall. The pic above shows both sides of the bell (the bell being the winning award/medal for the series)

But still really good for me :) Thanks!

16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Outstanding, Cougar!! Congrats.

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Congrats.....way to go. Consistency pays off. Would have liked to stay and watch the awards, but we had to get going.

Now onto Sport class next season. :thumbsup::cool:

18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Way to go! :thumbsup:

Mikie likes this.
  19. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    Great ride!

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  20. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Right on Craig!! So stoked for you......

I showed up at Caspers ready to camp and they wouldn't let me, I brought my dog, they don't allow dogs in the park. I drove an hour over the mountain to get there. It would be another hour home, another hour back on Saturday and one more hour home. No thanks....

It would have been cool to see you podium since you worked so hard. :cry:

Mikie, Cyclotourist and Cougar like this.
  21. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Congrats! That's pretty cool!

22. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Good to see you out there. Nice work.

12219336_10207794221918650_5477902129797848692_n.jpg

Mikie, Faust29, Cougar and 1 other person like this.
  23. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Ring that bell!

24. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Finally got around to getting a shot of me on the podium.

2015 OC Classic Podium.jpg

I also snagged a pretty good candid the photographer took of J and I.

Cougar and J.jpg

MattB, ridinrox, BeckTrex and 5 others like this.
  25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Representing :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Faust29, Mikie and Cougar like this.
  26. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @Cougar & @mtnbikej , that's a very cool picture of you two.

@Cougar , Just caught up on this post. WOW!
    I am so jacked for you on your finish! Congratulations!

Hmmmmm, let's see now. BOTH @Cougar and @Faust29 have now experienced your 1st podiums wearing imtbtrails jerseys.
    So... the jerseys DO have supah powers! Nahhh! YOU have super powers!
    Those are some very sweet pics you guys.
    I need to do something with them...

27. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?