Not A Day Like Any Other Day, at Golden Eagle

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    So apparently I'm a pretty clueless person.
    It's now revealed there has been some hooligan shenanigans going on deep within the depths of the private message system on imtbtrails.

What in the world am I talking about? Let me share with you how this unfolded through my eyes...

@Tom the Bomb suggested that he would like to ride Golden Eagle with a small group of guys. I thought, great! I had been wanting to get up there and do some trail work and so last weekend I asked @Voodoo Tom and @Maddog if they were willing to do some upper trail work and naturally they did.

So TtB hits me up Friday night and says he is still in and I'm thinking, cool! Supposed to be him and @T-2 , wow, that is a small group. I got a Santa Cruz demo bike and was stoked to give it a ride on my favorite trail and now it's with Tom the Bomb and T-2!

@Voodoo Tom was planning to ride it anyway and I wanted to discuss plus size tires with @UPSed but he said he was busy riding with Jennifer, with a bunch of people. Hmmmm:cautious:, he actually was not lying...

So I load up this morning, head over to Subway, then Ace Hardware trying to find a better mosquito net ( which they did not), and started my way to Golden Eagle when Tom the. Bomb texts me saying he forgot his Camelbak. He asked if I had an extra and if I could go get it. No problem! It did make me about 10 minutes late.

So I pull up to the Trailhead and there is Tom the Bomb, no T-2. Voodoo Tom is there as well. We talk a few minutes and then I start to get my gear on. I open my passenger door on my Honda when I begin to hear this horrible noise. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. When I turned to look up the Old Ridge Route Road I see what looks to be a mass of cyclist riding towards us. I point it out to Tom and say, " What the hail, where did all of those people ride from?" But I couldn't figured out that grinding metal on asphalt sound. I ask TtB if he thought they road up from Santa Clarita as there were no cars anywhere. Tom the Bomb just had this Dumazz smile on his face.

Nothing is registering... I'm totally in the dark.

But as they got closer, I'm realizing, the guy leading the pack of maybe 30 cyclist was a guy that looked like..... Wolfie? Was there another Wolfie in the world? Yeah... I'm that stupid.
    As they got closer I realized it WAS Wolfie! Then I started seeing imtbtrails jerseys and I'm STILL not getting it. Then I started recognizing faces and I started jumping up and down like an idiot! This was an imtbtrails ambush and was a club ride. But why in the world be riding some rusted out stingray bicycle (pictures are coming)?

I'm surrounded now by imtbtrails folks... They are all grinning from ear to ear. Then Tom the Bomb walks up and says, "Mikie, we all know how much you have wanted a new bike, so we got you one." Wolfie hands me this rusted out stingray bike with metal banana seat, no padding. Everyone is laughing I'm stunned but laughing as well. I was just jacked that folks would be willing to drive as far as they did, to ride Golden Eagle with me. But then Tom the Bomb pointed out an envelope taped to the seat and said I might want to open it up. I was confused. I thought how awesome! They got me a gift card to Starbucks or to a restaurant, or something.

Inside was an awesome card with lots of well wishing notes from many friends I have gained at imtbtrails... and a check to go buy a new bike. I lost it.

Tears were streaming and I was speechless. I was so confused, and in front of so many people. This was more than a group ride, this was good people being kind to some dude that just wanted to have a mountain bike family and started a mountain bike forum. I'm kinda tearing up now as I write...

I don't know what to say, but thank you for taking the time to be my brother and sisters. imtbtrails started out as a dream to have a positive place where like minded mountain bikers could hang out and contribute to the one thing that saved my life. And you guys continue to save my life. imtbtrails has become more than a mountain bike site for me. When I started it I had no ideas the connections and friendships that would result. People from all over Southern California and beyond have gravitated to this place because we do everything possible to respect and love each other. Our mutual passion for mountain bikes in my opinion has become a passion for the people that love mountain bikes as well. We are there for each other.

I heard many wanted to be there but couldn't. I'll catch up with all of you. We had an awesome time after riding GE, and had an awesome barbecue afterwards at the Trailhead. I just sat there in awe as everyone was talking to people they had never actually met, like old friends.

Everyone was giving me hugs and thanking me for the community I started, and you are very welcome! I also however want to say THANK YOU, for making that community home.

Please post up all your perspectives, and comments and toss in the pics and vids from the day. It was a world wind for me and and I got very few pics.

You got me good! I just did not see this coming...
    I am humbled and honored by your generosity.
    I love you guys!

:thumbsup:Mikie

2. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Dang, what took so long for the RR?!?!!? You're the best Mikie, wished I didn't have to work today. I'll be there next saturday though. Thanks for all you do and for making me into a MTB addict. Look forward to seeing you soon!!!

3. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Strava proof or it didn't happen :stop:

4. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    It couldn't have happened to a more deserving rider and community pillar. Congratulations and thanks for building this place, Mikie.

Props to all IMTBTrailsHeads for a job well done!

5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Yep, I rode GE with the tribe. The reveal came off perfectly.

@Mikie, as I said at the trailhead, you earned it, and deserve it. You created a place where, speaking for myself, I have met great people and found rides I'd have never done without this.

The ride itself was perfect, though about 40 degrees warmer than the first time I rode it. I'll still never do the WOD again:thumbsdown:

Some photographic results for all to enjoy.

The gift bike:
    20170902_081252.jpg

The gathering:
    20170902_092311.jpg

After the ride:
    20170902_141421.jpg

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Careful what you ask for. I just took 2nd overall on the GE downhill on a bike I just rode for the first time and I didn't even push the envelope...
    Holy fashizzle...what an amazing day.
    GE.w.imtbtrails.PNG

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    As the most prolific poster on this site, as well as my titles of resident smartass and self-appointed fashion guru, I am stoked that you (@Mikie) have built such a great community.

For me, it's a place to comment, read and communicate with our fellow and fellowette riders. It's a part of my everyday life for the past 3 years. I have met great people to ride with, and formed bonds both real and electronic with some very cool people.

So thanks Captain Mikie. Enjoy the process of picking your new steed, then let's go try to break it!

(PS, after your description of your run, I am not surprised at your STRAVA result. :thumbsup: Perhaps that bike is in your future?)

8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I had a feeling that you would be pleasantly surprised with the results of your riding efforts today. :thumbsup:

9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Told you. :p

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Cool story bro...but the real question we all wanna know is how did you like the Hightower? :cautious: Where are the priorities?

J/k....sorry I missed it. Sounds like a great time was had.

11. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    The gauntlet has been laid. Nice work on the #2

12. burt

burt Member

Name:
    burt
    GE was all time. Fun in the sun! Thx TripleD, TTB and everyone else for helping to organize the event. The ride down to Mikie was hysterical, the trails loose & fast, and the bbq tasty! And put me down for a jersey whenever the next batch gets ordered.

IMG_20170902_060932.jpg
    Glad to get the hell outa dodge and away from the La Tuna Fire in the Vergugos

IMG_20170902_075251.jpg
    The shadow trailhead

IMG_20170902_082126.jpg
    The scouting position, waiting on Mikie

IMG_20170902_100320.jpg
    Golden state ascent

13. PATKOUG

PATKOUG Member

Name:
    Pete
    Current Bike:
    2015 Niner WFO 9
    Mikie, you're the best, thanks for all that you do, much love my brother!

14. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Mikie thanks for this site!
    Amen!

15. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Gotta get this outa the way first, holy sh!t batman 2nd overall your first time on the bike is down right impressive & scary @Mikie . You wanna ride GE again on Monday so you can just claim your KOM and get it out of the way?

Wolfie @DangerDirtyD you pulled it off dude. You were a man with a plan(well not a plan exactly but at least a damn good idea). Nice job and thanks for stepping up. For that matter a huge thanks to all the imtbtrails family for keeping this under wraps. Hard to believe that with that many people in the know that nobody blew it. Today was seriously just a great way of saying thanks to perhaps the best dude I know. Gotta say it could not have gone off any better even though I kept thinking of all the different ways it could backfire before he got there. Arrived way early and about sh!t my pants when a silver Honda Civic with a Hightower on back rounded the corner over an hour before ride time. Luckily though it wasn't Mikie. Great meeting so many people I only knew from behind a keyboard and some seriously good riding by lots of folks.

Lots of pictures and GoPro footage to go thru but for now a little un-edited video from the surprise...

16. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    @Mikie I'm really happy that we got you good Mr clueless !!
    In all seriousness Mikie, thank you for building this awesome forum that most of us call it "home" !! Sadly for me, its holiday weekend and we are working OT that is why I couldn't make it to the ride :cry:. One of these will go and make a special visit and you can show me this GE :thumbsup:.
    Now my break is over and need to get back to work :thumbsdown:

17. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Made it home in one piece, that's always a good way to finish the day! And what a day... all the pieces fell in to place, and I was able to hang out and enjoy it with some of the best people I know! Thanks for @DangerDirtyD for masterminding this, and @Voodoo Tom @Tom the Bomb for working out logistics and getting the Godfather where he needed to be! What a labor of love for the day! I am honored to know the people who came today, as well as the ones I know virtually from this great clubhouse that @Mikie built here!

Here are a few pics from the day!

Gandalf wishing us a happy and safe ride:
    36183486593_d799d12b9c_b.jpg

Most everbody's back:
    36852012421_18bb4a8608_b.jpg

Amaze-views to distract from the pain:
    36183486713_7403628db6_b.jpg

Recovery:
    36820921792_a6f5aef044_b.jpg

18. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    Epic day! Epic people! All because of IMTBtrails. Thank you Mikie!

19. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Killem with kindness, right @Mikie? You deserve it brother. Hope you find an awesome bike one that will take you to many trails and give you many memories!!
    Ride on Mr. Watson.

20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Wow... What a day.

@DangerDirtyD started the ball rolling with an idea and an email. Then shepherded (wolfed?) the process all the way to fruition with help from @Tom the Bomb and @Voodoo Tom. Way to go, Guys... Mikie wasn't the only misty eyed one out there yesterday. :whistling: Y'all done good. And the video of the wolf man riding the DH bike to Mikie is classic. That one is going to live forever. I'll be able to say, "I was there". :thumbsup:

And then after all the mushy stuff was over, I got to spend the day with some of the best people around... And make some memories. Most I've ridden with a few times before, but I finally met the one and only @Mikie Robin Mcguire duo. That was an honor complete with hugs and cookies. :thumbsup: I met the one and only Mr. and Mrs. T2, the fast and agile @Redman, who I chased through the twisty single track on the way back to the Oak Tree regroup. @Postal Pat made a good effort, but his beard was not the longest out there yesterday. The wizard takes that honor... Sorry, Pat. I met the one and only @Maddog, who seems to know that area like the back of his hand, and takes care of it for the rest of us. :thumbsup: I had a second @MrGreedom sighting, and he's hanging with the big dogs now. Although... his cranks were doing 200 RPMs down the 5 on the way home. It looked a little suspicious. :cautious: We should probably check his bike for a motor next time. And just in case there's video, I should probably throw this out there, too... I got absolutely smoked on the initial fire road climb by the werewolf himself, who made me look like I was standing still! Flew right past on kids' wheels, howling as he went! I even got to ride with @burt ... For about 3 miles and then I came to my senses, and backed way off. :p I may or may not have, depending on photographic evidence, thrown an elbow at some guy with a rigid plus bike. He looked a lot like @bigringrider101. :whistling:

There are a thousand other memories slowly coming back to me, now that I'm rehydrated and filling up on caffeine and H2O. What a day... And there was even some bike riding thrown in. And food and drink. And frisbee!

And then to top it all off, traffic wasn't bad, and we made it home with hardly a stop... Thanks @herzalot and @Danimal for the company, for the food, drink, entertainment, strippers, and for the double shot on the way back! That hit the spot...

Mikie's New DH Moutain Bike

The Mushy Stuff

A few shots from the day...

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

21. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    As a new member this year, I feel blessed to have been a part of this. What a wonderful family with a wonderful leader. Thank you everyone, and thank you @Mikie. This was the most important ride of my lifetime to date and I am sure that many others feel the same way.

22. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    This is going to be like Woodstock. 15 years from now, 10,000 people are going to remember being there. Alas, and unfortunately, I will be one of those "who was there" but really wasn't. Can't think of a better cause. I came to learn how to prepare for an endurance race, I stayed for the people. Thx @Mikie!

23. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Awesome guys. I was really sad that I'm in Boston this weekend for work and couldn't participate. Thanks for this community Mikie, sincerely.

24. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I was about dead by the time we were doing the plunge section of ST back down to the parking area. I had consumed a full pack bladder of water, an additional large bottle of water, and 12 ounces of Gatorade. I was light headed and completely drained. I wish I had recorded more of the final descent, I thought I had. As @Mikie says, "that is my kind of trail". :thumbsup:

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/477745/

How do I embed a video here, is there a page with codes?

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Comment of the day...

@Mikie notices the card on the seat of the gift bike. Picks it up, opens it, says "What's this?"

Jennifer (Mrs. @UPSed) shouts out "It's the warranty" :laugh:

Priceless moment - money back guarantee. :thumbsup:

26. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Scenes seared in my brain: the Wizard!, Dio in the Wolfie chatting up the Wiz, Wolfie on the Pivot tubeless e-bike coasting down to Mikie, and Mikie's reaction.
    Super day! Oh yeah, and the endo cracked my rim so I'm confined to my road bike for a bit but wouldn't change a thing. I had a blast and it was great to hang with the crew.
    IMG_5397.JPG IMG_5399.JPG IMG_5402.JPG

27. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    We were honored to be a part of this wonderful surprise. .We love you Mr. Watson & so great to finally meet & ride with our IMTB family. Thank you! ♡ mcg and me..We had a blast. Hugs from us both ♡ ♡hugs and more hugs. What a special day :) :)

20170902_091434.jpg

20170902_105344.jpg

20170902_132954.jpg

20170902_134530.jpg

20170902_133014.jpg

28. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    What a day, what a great bunch of peeps, what a well executed event, what else can I say? It's the day after and I'm still feeling the stoke.

I guess now you you get the idea of what you have created here @Mikie. It's your fault buddy, it really is ;)
    Here are the pictures I managed to get from the festivities.

@Tom the Bomb unloading the bike at the hidden meet-up spot.
    IMG_2053.JPG

Was it a Hollywood prop you wonder? Nope! This is a genuine commuter bike straight outta IngleWOOD
    IMG_2054.jpg

Surprise!
    IMG_2055.JPG

I did not take anymore pictures of the unveiling/reveal because I was busy looking for the Ninja that was somewhere behind me cutting onions :cry::ninja::cautious:

29. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    One of the great parts of the day was Group Mom Robin's announcement when she arrived each time we stopped to regather...

"I'M HERE!!!" :thumbsup:

30. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    What an awesome picture! :thumbsup: