Noel Rememberance Ride

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by xhuskr, Jan 12, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 01-16-22
  1. xhuskr

xhuskr Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt
    Ride Name: Noel Rememberance Ride
    When: Sunday, January 16th
    Time: 830/900 ish
    Where: Coastal Peak Park - El Moro
    Ride Description or Details:
    A year ago Sunday, we lost a friend of MANY while doing what he and we love...mountain biking. Noel/Hanzo/Poofighter, it doesn't matter what you knew him as, just that you knew him or of him. A great guy who was willing to lend a hand, ride with people of all levels, and give you Sh!t in a quiet, dry manner that I miss. This is a group ride or multiple small group rides to keep it less crowded and social distanced. There is no official route or ride time, but if you can meet at the end/beginning of Fenceline where the survey marker is at 11:00 to pay respects, it would be great. Just around the corner from there is a small memorial for Noel. Read more about last year's loss at https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/th...aka-str-hanzo-aka-imtbtrails-poofighter.9979/

I will probably be starting 830 ish (will update) from the culdesac on Ride Park. Common route is down Lizard, Camarillo, (Nix-optional), Stagecoach/Laurel, Willow, Old Emerald, Emerald Canyon, down to the fence (optional) and out to Bommer, then up to the survey marker.

If you knew him or of him ride for him. There are many a trail or trail sections around that remind me of him and I miss my friend and missed the chance to ride with him at the beginning of the pandemic.

If you have a photo of Noel riding, please post it up as well.

Ride safe, ride, happy, and ride with those enjoy.

*not a very specific ride, but these days, who cares...we ride to remember and enjoy!

~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location:
    Ride Name: NRR-Noel Remembrance Ride
    When: Sunday January 16th
    Time: 830 am

~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location: Coastal Peak Park/Ridge Park/Fenceline
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=20403+east+coastal+peak+newport+beach&atb=v281-1&ia=web&iaxm=maps
    Skill Level: Intermediate, Advanced if you like
    Ride Pace: Your call
    Type of Ride: pedaling
    Rider Limit: ?
    Anticipated Mileage: 15
    Elevation Gain: 2600
    Ride Duration: 2.49 hrs
    Previous Ride Reports:
    Possible Bail-Outs: many
    Facilities: bathrooms at the park
    Food/water suggestions: bring your own

Skill Level:
    Ride Pace:
    Easy with Moments of Effort, Moderate Pace, Fast Pace
    Type of Ride: Loop
    Rider Limit:
    Anticipated Mileage:
    Elevation Gain: 2000-2500
    Ride Duration: 2.49 hours
    Previous Ride Reports: down, then up, then down over rocks, up again, left at the catcus and down the rock. Repeat as needed.
    Possible Bail-Outs: too many to list
    Facilities: Bathrooms at the park
    Food/water suggestions: Water refills at Nix and the bottom of Willow
    Option to Upload:

OTHRider, mike, Mikie and 18 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    This is great. Horrifying that we are talking about a memorial, but a wonderful way to pay respects.

Unfortunately, my physical range will not allow me to participate. I did pause and reflect last time I was out there. :(

Tom the Bomb, OTHRider, mike and 5 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hard to believe it's been a year already...

Tom the Bomb, OTHRider, mike and 4 others like this.
  4. RIGID

RIGID Member

Name:
    bandman
    IMG_1741.jpg hanzo shade.JPG Crash site.JPG cabin.JPG
    I'll mark this on my calendar.
    I can only find vintage photos right now.

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Awesome Kevin!
    Thanks so much for putting this together! I hope everyone joins in on this one and makes it even more special.
    I did the simple click and put it on our imtbtrails Calendar as well. :thumbsup:

6. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for posting this up. Unfortunately, I cannot join. I did not know Noel, but I ride LCWP frequently and always pay my respect when I pass by where he succumbed and make sure his cross made from stones is in place. RIP Noel.

7. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    Thanks Kevin. I don't have a bike at the moment, I need to go hike to his memorial to pay my respects. I miss him.

8. xhuskr

xhuskr Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Shooting for 830 arrival and 840/845 roll time. Couldn't find the edit button, but I see there is some work being done and Emerald Falls is closed for those that may have planned/wanted to ride it. See ya in the am. I'll be wearing a Team Crash jersey on a black Rocky Mountain Thuderbolt.

9. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    F@ck, if I had a working dropper post, I would join. RIP Noel.

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I could offer you mine. Or you could borrow my bike. Sorry - a little late on the offer.

11. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    That is a very late offer, and I am not getting up anywhere around 8:30 at this point. Football and beer. :Roflmao However, I would like to know exactly where the dude's cross is so I can stop at least once to pay my respects. I have a general idea, but not exactly sure where it is.

I think you have the same dropper as I do ... so you will be thrilled to know there is nothing actually wrong with mine, and you probably have the better actuator. I have been in contact with J to hopefully "fix" mine sometime Monday. :speechless:

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    The marker is about twenty steps south of the USGS marker at the highest point of Missing Link.

I have a One Up Dropper.

13. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Thanks, I know where that is. I will stop next time.

You very likely have the OneUp V2 with the the wedge shaped actuator. I have the early version of the V2 with the pressure activated erasure shaped actuator that I cannot figure out how to make work.

The only problem with mine is that it was loose at the hand tightened part up top and I never realized it, so I had the post down too far which was slightly pressuring my shitty actuator. I only know this after taking it apart (which I am great at) but having no clue how to put things back together again. Same story since I was 8. :D I can take anything apart. :p Putting things back together is the trick. :whistling:

RIGID, UPSed, Tom the Bomb and 2 others like this.
  14. xhuskr

xhuskr Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    A small group of friends who had not seen each other for quite some time together today to remember Noel. It was a beautiful day full of views and great weather. Jeff, who was there that day last year was also present and filled the gaps for us on what happened. That said there were smiles abound remembering our friend. Be safe, be healthy, be informed be, happy get out on your bike. Hug ur loved ones and let them know. And hoist a beer for Noel if u enjoy the beverage.

BEBD3535-6191-4C22-8769-41F331A25446.jpeg

4585CC1C-3A96-4CB1-AA0F-EFEC54C8672C.jpeg

414961B0-6CB9-4EA1-89C2-75B6E1B9583D.jpeg

8A08F3E5-C428-4338-BC63-D39C8D97E4B1.jpeg

DFCDD113-F2D8-4E93-84C1-E26318E6566F.jpeg

7417EB3B-17CC-45E9-B48A-D218D39B7093.jpeg

15. RIGID

RIGID Member

Name:
    bandman
    Thanks for setting this up Kev.
    We met up with another group in the morning who started at Quail Hill and it was a reunion of sorts.
    They split to do another route and I chose to ride with the more social crowd and I'm glad I did. My mouth was definitely faster than my riding pace due to the last time I rode with them was back in the 26er days, wow!
    I remember when they had kids, now they're adults. With those that had younger adults, now they are retired. Some changed careers, others moved up in the ladder but we all had the same passion to ride. The same passion Noel had.
    Noel Day Ride.jpg

Gone but not forgotten.
    DSC03803.JPG

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
  17. bananaseat

bananaseat Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Aldo
    Current Bike:
    Turner 5 Spot
    Kev, thanks so much for coordinating the ride. And a shout out to Brett for notifying me via my wife, through social media, as I don’t partake.

It was awesome to see dudes I haven’t seen in years and sharing the trail with such a chill crew. Also great to meet Duwane (aka Darin ), Dave and Dylan.

“PFP” (aka Sam) was killing it on the ridged single speed.

Jeff got best dressed, and I promise to share my vintage STR jersey.

I hope to ride with everyone again soon.

Cheers to more riding in 2022!!

Bananaseat (aka Aldo)

18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks for joining and sharing Aldo.

I'm so glad to see people come together, even come out of the shadows to even post up for such occasions.
    It would be great if we could do this for good times as well, and not reserve a tribe gathering for only sad episodes.

Well done Gent's!

RIGID, Tom the Bomb and herzalot like this.
  19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Wow! Just simply WOW!
    It's amazing how people impact others, and the monuments we will erect to preserve their memories. I am happy to see this and sad it has to be. I'm moved by this and is a reminder that I need to always step up to be a positive person of influence and a better leader.
    I have really failed in the past and those failures have deep consequences I need to remember as learning points.

KUDOS to Noel for being a person of positive influence as a person and as a Mountain Biker.
    Thanks for posting up here the memories @xhuskr and @RIGID !
    I so appreciate you both!

:) Mikie

UPSed, RIGID, Tom the Bomb and 5 others like this.
  20. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    It has been a while so I stopped and did a little thinking...every day is precious.

Our missed friends... And now right across from Noel's Cross is another memorial..

Sheeww... Hug your loved ones!

Noel
    PXL_20220424_224614235.jpg

I did not know Mark

PXL_20220424_224606281.jpg

21. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Younger than I am....dang. :thumbsdown: Obviously it wasn't me.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?