Nice work, Truckee PD!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kingaucho, Aug 23, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Grassblade23, el cap, MattB and 9 others like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Would love to read the details on how they caught those upstanding Gallardo brothers. The cash value for the bikes might end up putting them out of commission for a while!

Wonder what the m.o. was on the thefts. CL, bike rack snatch, etc???

The next Truckee police auction might be a good one!!!

3. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Here's a little more details on how they caught these bastards!

"In June of 2017, the Truckee Police Department began receiving theft reports of high-end mountain bikes from various locations in Truckee. The most common scenario were bikes which were on vehicle racks, and secured with the locking mechanism of the rack or a cable style lock. Investigators quickly determined that these thefts were not only occurring in the Truckee area, but also in Tahoe City, Squaw Valley, and Carson City, Nevada. In conjunction with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office, Truckee police detectives began a joint investigation into the thefts.

During the course of the investigation, some surveillance images caught the suspects committing the thefts, but no specific identifiable information could be established. Investigators were able to determine the make and model of an associated vehicle; however, no license plate could be identified.

Numerous hours of surveillance, bait bike operations, and crime analysis briefings were accomplished from the time the thefts began. “It was very frustrating to see on social media that our community had the impression that we were not conducting any type of special investigations or bait bike operations. In reality, we were doing all that and more. We, obviously, could not release that information because it possibly could have jeopardized the integrity of the investigation,” said Truckee Detective Sergeant Danny Renfrow. “Although we did establish a possible vehicle description later on in the investigation, we were hesitant to release that information because it was our only link to identifying the suspects and we didn’t want the suspects switching vehicles,” Sgt. Renfrow went on to say.

On Saturday, August 19, 2017, at approximately 10:00 p.m., an observant Truckee police officer was patrolling a location that had previous thefts, when he located the possible suspect vehicle. The officer made an enforcement stop on the vehicle and with the assistance of other Truckee police units, detained four adult males: Jesus Gallardo (25), Sergio Gallardo (23), Martin Gallardo (27), and Juan Carlos Gallardo (29), all brothers out of San Francisco. The officers were able to establish enough information to arrest the suspects for the bicycle thefts.

Detectives with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office and Truckee Police Department immediately responded and continued the investigation. Ultimately, all four suspects were charged with multiple counts of grand theft, criminal conspiracy, and possession of stolen property. The suspects were booked in the Truckee Jail each with a $750,000 bond.

Truckee police detectives served search warrants for the suspects’ vehicles and a residence in San Francisco. Along with Placer County Sheriff’s detectives and support from the San Francisco Police Department, investigators recovered approximately $70,000 worth of mountain bikes, road bikes, and related components. The dollar value of all the items taken from Truckee/Tahoe region is estimated to be in excess of $125,000.

The Truckee Police Department is currently inventorying each of these items in an attempt to locate the lawful owners. Truckee police ask that victims of the bike thefts delay in calling to retrieve their property, as they are still processing the evidence and determining which bikes have been recovered.

Rob Leftwich, Truckee Chief of Police stated, “I am exceptionally proud of our officers for their diligence and continued efforts in this investigation. I am very appreciative of the support and collaboration that the Placer County Sheriff’s Office provided. We have an excellent working relationship with the Sheriff’s Office and this is a great example of that. I also think this serves as a great reminder that even with no information being released to the public, our community can rest assured that the Truckee Police Department and the Placer County Sheriff’s Office have their absolute best interest at heart and we don’t let important crimes in our communities go uninvestigated.”

Grassblade23, el cap, MattB and 12 others like this.
  4. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    The family that steals together gets busted together! :)

5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I hope that someone who lost a bike in this crime ring recognized their bike in that video. That would be exciting.

MattB, kingaucho, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hmmm... My brother had his bike stolen in Truckee a couple of weeks ago, but he is hoping not to recover it. It's a beat up Santa Cruz Heckler circa 2004. It's been stolen once before and he was stoked to get some insurance money and maybe a new bike. But before the check was cut, the cops found the bike and returned it to him, minus a few parts.

Looks like he's going to strike out twice. Heckler - the bike that won't die.

Oh - and great job by Truckee police, despite my brother's wishes. Bike thieves suck!