Newbie Proflex Build

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Jacob032, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Jacob032

Jacob032 Newbie

Name:
    Jacob Gay
    Hello I am new to the forum and fairly new to trail riding. I am 19 years old and just received a Proflex 855 from my grandpa that he purchased new in 1995. I know that this technology is outdated and there are loads of better stuff out there but I like the retro style of the bike. I would like to put some modern upgrades on the bike but am somewhat lost on what to do. As of now the bike has
    -Girvin Vector 2 Fork
    -Kings Headset
    -Shimao Delore LX center pull braking
    -Shiamo 8spd single piece brake and shifter
    -No chain ring or cranks
    -Car bushings as suspension bushings

I would like to upgrade this bike. I would like to put the Risse or Fox shocks to replace the rubber bushing style suspension. I would also like to put a Girvin Elite fork on it so i can upgrade the stem and handlebars. I need some guidance on what drive terrain I should put on it, cranks, and brakes. Thank you for your time in advance.

Mikie likes this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I can't help you much with the mechanical questions... I'm sure others will chime in for that.

I'd just like to say "Welcome to the forums". It's a pretty cool group here...

Mikie likes this.
  3. BBJohn

BBJohn Member

Name:
    John
    Hmmm,
    1995, ProFlex and grandpa you say. Mikie you got some splainin to do!! :shock:

Welcome Jacob!

Mikie likes this.
  4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    You're in luck! Mikie is a ProFlex guru! Welcome to the club!

Mikie likes this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Hey Jacob!
    Welcome to imtbtrails!
    I am the Proflex guru of all things Proflex.
    I have tons of parts and I will help you get your "Beast" together.

I have an 855, 856, and an 857 frame as well as a bunch of miscellaneous parts.
    Where are you located? We can meet at my house with what you got to see what you need that I have...
    I think I have some Kooka Cranks and chain rings. Need to check on a bottom bracket which I have as well...
    Probably need to plan that for a Friday/Saturday adventure...
    Let me know Bud!

Mikie

6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Calling Mikie, "ProFlex" Watson. King of the suspend the rider bikes!!!!!! :eek:

Gonna be hard to source "modern" parts for a bike that old.

Save your money and buy something newer.

Mikie likes this.
  7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Easy Turbo. Been shooting blanks since I was 18... Do the math! Oh crap! The math STILL doesn't add up..............SON? :lol:
    Don't sweat these guys Jake, their like dogs around the mailman, all bark and no bite... :D

8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, But I'm pretty sure I can get him going for free right now. That's not a bad deal while building legs while building a savings account... :cool:
    Plus he get's to learn how to build a bike and hang out with Mikie Watson! :cool: ....................okay, he get's to learn how to build bikes? :roll:

9. Jacob032

Jacob032 Newbie

Name:
    Jacob Gay
    I am located in Texas. I know I could buy something newer and would save the money but at the same time I love the retroness of this bike and the fact that it was my grandpas. I am in love with the bazaar designs of Kooka and am sad that they are discontinued.

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    No Problem Jacob.
    Don't let grumpy rossage ruin your retro stoke! :lol:

If you just cover the shipping I will give the parts to a fellow MTB'er in need, and call it "Pay it Forward"
    - I'll post some pics of the cranks and chainrings, and bottom bracket.
    - I have a Risse Air Shock brand new in the box. Just need to figure out what it fits. Either 855 or 856...
    - Also a bunch of shock springs when the y went to spring Noleen Shocks
    - I have swing arms for 855
    - I think I still have some fork legs for an 855
    - Bags of all the special bolts
    - Bunch of still in the box Sun Rims
    - Seat Posts
    I'll take inventory of what I have this week and get back to you...

11. Jacob032

Jacob032 Newbie

Name:
    Jacob Gay
    That would be awesome Mikie! Thank you for all of the support and comments. It looks like I'm gonna have to take a road trip out to California once the bike is done!

12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Hey Jake,
    Post some pics of you with your bike...

13. Jacob032

Jacob032 Newbie

Name:
    Jacob Gay
    I was going to post a pic with the original post but wasn't sure how to attach a picture. Can you please tell me how?

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Hi, Jacob, welcome to IMTBTRAILS!

Good luck with your bike project; some great support here from the usual suspects. Look us up for riding when you get out here. There's lots of great stuff. Cheers and have fun.

PS: Check this out: <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1735" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1735</a>

15. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    To be fair, this was kind of creepy :)

16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    How could you take my good natured assistance and turn it into that?!?!? :lol:
    I'm the Mister Rogers of Mountain Biking...

17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Instructions are here: <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1735" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1735</a>

18. Jacob032

Jacob032 Newbie

Name:
    Jacob Gay
    Sorry for the late post Mikie but here is a picture of my Proflex. Thanks again for all of your help!

2015-03-19_11.31.32[1].jpg

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Mikie was a ProFlex sponsored racer in the early 90s. I think he is cringing that the bike came from your grandpa, because we are all convinced we are still getting better as mt bikers - and not just older.

My brother in law found a source for coil springs for the Girvin and the rear shock to replace the 25 year old elastomers. He is still rocking Magura hydraulic rim brakes!

Best of luck with your bike re-hab and welcome to the sport! :clap: :wave: :thumbup:

20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Jacob,
    I know one of the key things you are looking for are some Girvin Vector Elites and I only have one that is on Cathy's bike.
    But I think I have everything else you need. I'm going for a ride tomorrow, when I get home I'll take some pics and post them to let you know what I do have.

Here is the bike I rebuilt for Cathy from her original 855 Proflex. A lot of people don't realize that Cathy was a Sport racer back when these bikes were the hot ticket. She finished 4th overal in the Sport class at the California State Championship Series back in 1995...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

21. Jacob032

Jacob032 Newbie

Name:
    Jacob Gay
    I really appreciate all of your help Mikie and I am in no rush. My main concern with the bike is being able to get it ride-able. I have no problem waiting until I find a set of the forks I want. The forks I have now are completely fine but just don't allow any room for upgrades to the stem or handle bars really. Any information of parts that you could give me would be much appreciated. Ever since you have mentioned the Kooka Bicycle Parts I have been obsessing over the wild anodizes they have on their cranks and brake levers. It is a shame they have went out of business.

I wish there where some trails located close to my location but really all there is a State Park and there are not many advanced or even semi advanced MB trails around.

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Not to throw a wet blanket on your dreams, but it may be difficult to find a fork with a straight 1 1/8th straight steer tube. It actually looks like the 855 requires a 1" steer tube. If that's true, you will be looking for vintage forks.

I hope you get that thing working and find some trails worth riding.

23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Herz, I think that Jacob is actually looking for a Girvin Vector 2 Fork to keep the retro. Its the only thing I don't have to get him going.

I've been thinking of getting Cathy a used Yeti so we may have the fork as well!

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    USED? C'mon now. I understand the SB5c frames are available at Jenson as we speak! :thumbup: :angel: :clap: :twisted: :wave:

25. Jacob032

Jacob032 Newbie

Name:
    Jacob Gay
    I am trying to keep the retro look of the Pro Flex style.

26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Hokay...
    I drug things out of Attic Boxes and knocked a little dust and mud off them for photos. I have given/sold a lot more than I thought I have but still have this stuff...
    As far as the shocks if they will work for you I'll give you a good price for them. I paid full price directly from Risse as I was never sponsored by them as they came in later years of riding for fun...

I also have a bunch of still bagged bolts and bushings and bearing cups for the swing arms and Girvin Fork linkages. As well, I have some Altech "V" brakes who were an aftermarket sponsor. I also have a set of Magura Hydraulic pinch brakes but they do not work as good as the Shimano "V" Brakes...

A couple XTR Front Derailleurs in pretty good shape...

IMG-20150322-03041.jpg

IMG-20150322-03042.jpg

IMG-20150322-03044.jpg

IMG-20150322-03045.jpg

IMG-20150322-03046.jpg

IMG-20150322-03047.jpg

IMG-20150322-03051.jpg

IMG-20150322-03053.jpg

IMG-20150322-03054.jpg

IMG-20150322-03055.jpg

IMG-20150322-03056.jpg

IMG-20150322-03063.jpg

IMG-20150322-03064.jpg

IMG-20150322-03066.jpg

IMG-20150322-03067.jpg

IMG-20150322-03068.jpg

IMG-20150322-03069.jpg

IMG-20150322-03070.jpg

IMG-20150322-03071.jpg

Poofighter likes this.
  27. Jacob032

Jacob032 Newbie

Name:
    Jacob Gay
    I am definatley interested in the Kooka cranks and brake levers. I am pretty much interested in anything I need to get my bike ready to hit the trails. Mikie you seem to have a lot of awesome Man Cave Wall Hangers haha. How do you wanna go about shipping and what do you think I need to get my bike rolling?

28. Jacob032

Jacob032 Newbie

Name:
    Jacob Gay
    Hey Mikie I'm sure you are busy, but are you still planning on sending me some bike parts?
    Thank You!

29. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Hey Jake,
    Sorry, I have been real busy.
    PM me your shipping address, I'll sart getting some parts assembled ready to ship. We'll figure out the shipping thing...
    Mikie

30. Louis Soja

Louis Soja Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Louis Soja
    Current Bike:
    11 Redline Flight 29 SS Ridgid
    Nice I'm new here just signed up because I too just got a Girvin cross link elite fork. However the bike it is going on has cantilever brakes and the fork does not have the cable guide. Does anyone know of where I can get one? Or if some doeen't need their's on a v brake bike would be great. Will pay for it not a problem.

Louis

Faust29, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.