New Tire Recs

Discussion in 'Tires' started by littlewave, May 4, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Previously ran Maxxis Minion DHF front and rear on my 26" Mojo.

My Knolly Warden came with Schwalbes, Magic Mary up front and a Hans Dampf out back. Not overly impressed with the Hans Dampf, either in cornering grip or durability. Time to get a new rear tire. Front will be coming soon too as the Magic Mary isn't far behind the Hans.

So, 27.5"/650b tire recs? I'm on WTB KOM i23 rims. Mostly ride Laguna area, both on menu and off menu. Could go back to DHF, but willing to try something new.

2. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I am running the same rims on my Nomad. Maxxis High Roller II's serve me well. Gonna try the new Maxxis Aggressor when i can find them.
    oh, i ride the same terrain.

littlewave likes this.
  3. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I only have ~50 miles on my Tomahawk/Minion SS combo after being on DHFs in F/R for the past year+ and like it so far. The 2.3 front looks small compared to the 2.5 DHF I had on before but the weight savings has been noticeable. Still getting comfortable on them but I did throw down a PR tie on a regular DH section yesterday and I was not pushing myself so maybe the rolling resistance improvement helped?

The Minion SS did impress me on some punchy climbs in regards to grip, also did not slip like I was expecting coming out of the stream crossings during the Rwanda ride on Saturday. While I am still getting used to the Tomahawk and haven't pushed it hard yet, if I do go back to a DHF up front I will probably stick with the Minion SS out back for the reduced weight and rolling resistance.

I am on NOX Farlow rims with 29mm internal.

knucklebuster and littlewave like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I've run a few sets of HRII, and think they are hard to beat for pure traction. But there is a weight penalty. Minions, almost same comment. Both great options if you don't mind umphing them up the hills.

Bontrager XR-4 Team Issue has a little less hookup, but much lighter while very long-wearing, and durable enough. I've run them in back and F/B. The profile is pretty rounded compared to the quare-ish Maxxis (standard) profile. The side knob profile is somewhat resistant to the tearing that plagues some tires. I used them on wide rims and was pleased with the generous volume of the tire – a 2.35 looks markedly larger than a Minion or HRII 2.35 or 2.4. Very predictable and control-able performance despite a little less than incredible hookup. I can run them well into the teens with no crazy squirm on 35mm internal-width rims (I'm ±180 lbs RTR).

I've heard good things about WTB tires but haven't tried any of their tubeless/modern offerings.

5. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Definitely interested in the WTB tires. Breakout front, Trail Boss rear?

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I would get ahold of Ian at the Path (prolly Tustin) and grill him about WTB tires. He'll have the scoop. I don't know the line at all.

7. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    dhr 2 in the rear is about the best it gets for your riding, especially for its lightish weight in the trail version. In mine and others experience they are less susceptible to getting holes/ flatting than the hr 2's.

knucklebuster, mike and littlewave like this.
  8. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Nice, good to know. How's it compare to the DHF?

edit: answered my own question with google:

Borrowing the same side knob design from the Minion DHF, the Minion DHR II has widened them for more support and unrivaled cornering capacity. Where the DHF features channeled knobs for better traction, the DHR II’s ramped knobs were designed to improve acceleration and create a smooth transition when leaning the bike. The paddle-like knobs on the center tread dig in under hard braking and help keep the bike under control.

mike likes this.
  9. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    If you've not run DHR2 in the rear before, give it a try, if nothing else a baseline to compare others to. I've tried some others and keep going back to the DHR2. My preference is the dual compound for the rear though, the 3c wears allot faster.

10. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    I just put WTB Trail Bosses on a Reign, 2.4 and 2.25. Coming from a Minion and Highroller. Will see how they do.

@ Redman I have a couple Maxxis Aggressors (27.5 x 2.3), at the shop (PureRideCycles in Lake Forest).

Mikie likes this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hey @littlewave I have two brand spangeldy new High Roller IIs, TR, Exo 3c 2.30 x 27.5. Wanna buy one? Give me an Andy Jackson and an Alex Hamilton and it's yours. Pick it up at my place of employment.

12. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Sweet keep me in the loop!

13. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    That's a good deal. I might take you up on it. My buddy in Laguna rides that same tire and he's about due for a new one too. Hmm.

herzalot likes this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    If he's not IMTB, it's $90!

(ok, maybe not)

Let me know if you want me to throw the tires in my car.

15. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
  16. riiz

riiz Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Killmaleon
    Great combo, I just recently started trying out WTB's new offerings, and I'm in love with the Vigilante/Trail Boss combo. They roll surprisingly well, that Vigilante on the front has amazing grip and cornering manners. The breakout is less aggressive, therefore it rolls quicker.

17. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    what is the damage on those?

18. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    75 retail. Ask for me and I'll take care of you. I'm off Friday and Sunday. Don't get there till noon on Saturday, after the group ride.

herzalot likes this.