New shorts

Discussion in 'Shorts' started by Oaken, Sep 25, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Mikie, Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I am looking for new "not-so baggie, baggie" shorts. I am currently wearing Sugoi RPM-X shorts and they are very comfy and well constructed, BUT, They are a too long in the legs and far too loose around the thighs.

Looking for something that ends above the knees (9"?) and more fitted around the thighs (to prevent parachuting). I like a short with a built-in chamois/liner, too.

What do you guys suggest?

Mikie, herzalot and Danmtchl like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
  4. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have 5 pair of the Pearl Izumi Canyon shorts... They are probably a little baggier than snakecharmer is looking for, but the Pearl liners are the best I've used.

If the same liner is in the Journey you link to above, that might be a good option. The last time I deviated from the Pearls was the Hellacious Hell Ride from Big Bear to Redlands. Let's just say that I had issues, and haven't deviated since. :cautious:

Mikie, muni, SnakeCharmer and 2 others like this.
  6. Chevrolegs

Chevrolegs Member

Name:
    Steven
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    I was recently in the market for some new shorts to replace my Rangers that developed a hole after years of use.. I liked the Rangers a lot, but the new ones seem to be limited on pockets. I ended up getting some POC shorts which I like, but they’re more on the fitted side.

Mikie, Faust29, SnakeCharmer and 2 others like this.
  7. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I just picked up a pair of these Cattella Highland shorts.

My two ride review:

Pro:
    -7 pockets! Two at each hip, each large enough for my iphone ( which is cool unless I hike with my wife and she asks me to carry her phone too.) Also, 4 of the pockets have velcro to keep your stuff in.
    -I love the hidden zip pocket at the thigh.
    - Super lightweight and comfortable. If I don't wear my chamois they feel almost as comfy as my house lounging shorts.
    -Design, pretty nice. It has belt looks, some under the radar reflective elements and nice pops of color for the lining.
    -They don't look like bike shorts. That's the best part. I could wear them around town and look like a normal dude. No one has to know you're a bike nerd.

Cons (so far)
    -A little bit of fabric wear already (two rides and a few hikes in. All of it on the left side rear where the saddle meets material.)
    -Only comes is a khaki or Gray color (No black.)
    -No Chamois for you!
    -I prefer trouser pockets (side entry) as opposed to the jean style pockets.

Mikie, Faust29, SnakeCharmer and 2 others like this.
  8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    +1 on the Pearls, i have two pair of shorts, with 6 pair of liners and I never had an issue with them. They wear and fit well.

Mikie, Faust29, muni and 2 others like this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    These look interesting. I have a few brand new/unused Pearl Izumi Canyon shorts in storage. The material is very light/flimsy. Are these shorts like that?

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! :thumbsup:

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  10. muni

muni Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    17 Yeti SB5
    @SnakeCharmer should meet up. I'll do a fashion show for you. :) j/k But these are thin and they don't flap in the wind. I like them but I also wear Yeti gear. To be honest my Yeti shorts make these feel like Old Navy stuff. Sorry no offense to Old Navy.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Fox Rangers. 'nuff said.

The original rangers (2007?) weren't great. They are now. Perfect fit for not catching the nose of your saddle. Light. Breathable. The right kinds of pockets in the right places. No annoying belt loops or elastic gathers to make you look like a 1970s PE teacher. Not too many big bulky pockets to resemble MC Hammer's parachute pants. Stealthy adjustable velcro waistband. Numeric fit (32, 34, etc) not Small, Medium, Large. The liner has gotten better and better over the past three years to where it's now my favorite liner.

Not as ridiculously long as TLD Ruckus, but not so short that you have the dreaded, unfashionable skin gap for you cool cats who wear knee guards.

Get some!

EDIT: I just visited some websites and it looks like Fox may have removed the two highly functional pockets I have grown to love. Zippered pocket on right leg big enough for phone, and roomy-yet-sleek velcro flapped pocket on the left leg. If so, they done messed up and I won't be buying any more. I withdraw my endorsement of any that eliminated the leg pockets. Get some with the pockets while you can.

Hand pockets are nice for throwing your keys, coins or valve caps in while you are prepping to ride or getting lunch after, but they are not useful while riding.

12. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I just wear any liner/private protection and whatever shorts that are in the drawer!

13. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    TLD skyline Air and Alpinestars Hyperlite are my go-to's for minimalist shorts. I like the proper amount of baggy and length so that they don't over lap my knee caps but they also don't show skin between my knee pad and shorts. Goldilocks situation.

I find that the fox stuff has the best value and good features and comfort but their shorts fall apart on me quickly and don't hold up in crashes. I wear specialized swat bibs so the chamoix is not important to me, however the TLD chamoix that come with the skyline are super comfortable when i wear them on my commuter.

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    This is the video that you didn't know you really wanted to watch, but you do. Cheesy fun!

Faust29, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  15. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I am expecting my new shirts any day. One celebrates crew 2 which has a red dragon on it. The other celebrates STS 1 40th anniversary, Crippen and Young. I ride wearing Cotton Tees so it is another set of cool Jerseys for me
    Happy Trails on the edge of Space.

Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  16. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
  17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Derek, these have totally checked every box and the price is amazing.
    I am going to buy probably a dozen before they figure out what they have. The Chamois is too big for my style but do the job and come with the Baggies. Super comfortable and these are the ones I'm wearing without a chamois. They seem to run slightly large so measure accurately and you can always return them.
    I linked the image to the web page. :)

upload_2021-6-3_9-56-36.png

senderos_949, Stkx66, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  18. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Cool, might try them.
    I was gonna try the Patagonia dirt craft... But these review look promising

Danmtchl likes this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'm all about Zoic. I've been riding them ever since I posted here in 2018 and they are great. They offer a few different lengths/designs.

Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I thought you hated baggies/mt bike shorts?

DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.
  21. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    The price seems about right for U.S.-made. I don't mind spending more on that and just buying less stuff.

These are my current favorites. CA designed and made. Great for guys with shorter legs and minimal branding.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  22. senderos_949

senderos_949 Member

Name:
    Randy Morris
    Current Bike:
    Marin Mt Vision Pro
    Ditto for me on the TLD Skylines.
    PROS:
    More fitted profile but enough room at knee to go over trail kneepads
    Breathable stretch panel across the back helps with fit in saddle.
    Durable
    Removable chamois is attached with buttons
    CONS:
    Besides breathable back panel, the only true ventilation is the 2 pants pocket mesh interiors so not best location for airflow and if you zip them closed, no airflow. That said, I don't find them particularly warm at all.
    Note: You can spend a little more and get the Skyline "Air" that has breathable woven fabric on whole front of short.
    Chamois are personal but I'll disagree on this as I found it thin and uncomfortable - YMMV. I currently alternate between Zoic and Clubride chamois.

23. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I was in the market for a new pair of shorts when these recent threads were revived. Did some poking around as I didn't really want the shorts/chamois combo and found a few other options on Amazon that appear to be the same pair of shorts. Pics are all the same, though there are a few different names attached.

Went with this in the end. $10 less, no chamois. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084ZMRJ6V/?tag=imtbtrails-20

We'll see how I like it. I've been wearing the same couple pairs of Endura Humvee shorts for over 10 yrs now. One pair finally disintegrated on me and was disposed. The other is still hanging in there. They fit very well.

herzalot and Cyclotourist like this.
  24. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I'm still wearing the Gerry shorts from Costco. I have 6 pair now and they hold up great, especially for costing $13.99. Just came home from Costco 10 minutes ago and they had a new stock in. The new material is much lighter. Not quite like modern bathing suits but close to that. They took the outside waist cinch off and put a tie inside (like a bathing suit). The pocket is back on the leg but now with a vertical zipper.

Today I bought a pair of the Weatherford brand shorts to wear as everyday shorts. They were $16.99. They are super light but have no waistband adjustments. Super comfy and at least this pair runs 1/2" larger than Gerry so if you want to think you're thinner, they could be the hot ticket.

scan, herzalot and Cyclotourist like this.