New Millennium Trail Calabasas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Luis, Aug 28, 2016.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    So new member @TomF posted up a open to suggestion kinda ride in the Santa Monica mountains. Since that just happens to be in my neck of the woods, I agreed to come along.
    @UPSed suggested Millennium with a side trip to the M*A*S*H film site in Malibu Creek state park, sounds fun too. Let's do it!
    Poor Tom didn't know that Ed and I are (not-so) secret double agents for OTBmbc, and that Ed started the ball rolling to get some OTB peeps to join in.
    Well I wasn't expecting the turn out that we had. Started out with 15 combined imtbtrails and OTB members, and with that many cars, we had to park in a slightly bigger lot just north of the original meet up site.

From where we parked, it's barely a 2.5 mile ride to the M*A*S*H site. I figured it would be a good warm up to the actual ride. I think the adrenaline was running a little high, that's why I think everyone absolutely bombed it over to the site. Same story on the way back to Grasslands trail.
    It was worth it though because the guys got a couple of great shots at the film site of the 70's TV show.

@Faust29 and @Cisco Roots took some great shots out here. Me, I was trying to herd cats and keep everyone together.
    At this point we lost rider #1, @bigringrider101 decided riding with a big group was not for him so he continued on to climb bulldog I believe, so off he went on his own adventure.
    We backtracked to the grasslands trail and rode that to DeAnza park where we regrouped. As we started to roll we lost rider #2 @MTBHotRod noticed he had a broken spoke on his rear tire, and we had also lost rider #3 @MTBSKI who I heard talking about doing the loop counterclockwise to meet up with us. Never did see him after that.
    After a short road ride to Bark Park on Las Virgenes, it was time for the real ride.
    I the future, I plan to invest on a point and shoot camera that I can carry and easily employ to take spur of the moment shots. As we started climbing up bark park trail to millennium, I looked up to see everyone on different sections of the single tracks. I wished at that point that I had a camera that was quicker to operate than my smart phone.
    Hans and I were riding sweep to make sure we didn't lose anyone. Hans worked his way mid-pack while I stayed back and kept @MrGreedom (Ryan) company. At one of the trail junctions, the main pack climbed up the only fire road in the area. Hans has a distaste for fire roads so instead he led us on a less traveled section with more single track.
    Turns out he took us through a section of the Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail which parallels the 101fwy. Pretty cool, historic, and informative.
    Continuing on, we climbed up to the water tank which was our next regroup. By this time temps were starting to affect some of the riders and I could see it on their faces. There was a slight hint of a breeze that helped ease the heat a little.
    Did I mention that this trail has some moderate exposure??

IMG_3525.JPG
    I overheard Ryan say, "If would have know these switchbacks were here, I would have thought twice about doing this ride"
    IMG_3529.JPGIMG_3531.JPGIMG_3533.JPGIMG_3536.JPGIMG_3537.JPGIMG_3539.JPGIMG_3542.JPGIMG_3544.JPGIMG_3547.JPGIMG_3548.JPGIMG_3550.JPGIMG_3552.JPG

2. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Cool pics! I've done New Millennium from Bark Park and back through De Anza. Where is the zig zag section in your pics?

Mikie, Danmtchl and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  3. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Thats behind Beibers house...

RS VR6, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  4. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Haha not quite. These are the switchbacks by the big water tank.

RS VR6, Mikie, Danmtchl and 1 other person like this.
  5. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    Is the 2nd pic Hans? The OTB guys should be used the exposure, as the shoring reminds me of Strawberry. Thanks for posting the pics.

Luis, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  6. TomF

TomF Member

Name:
    Tom
    Great write up of a great ride - and cool pics too. Nice one Luis!

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Got a new avatar out of it!!! :)

Mikie, TomF and Danmtchl like this.
  8. TomF

TomF Member

Name:
    Tom
    Damn right!

9. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    You are the man @Luis. I'm an ambitious rider and believe in pushing myself. But, I def bit off more than I could chew with this one. Without you I would have gotten lost early, and you all would still be wondering if I made it of the trail. After riding with you all I feel like I need to put my platform pedals back in the box to be saved for shuttle days. Mashing on my pedals trying to keep up with you all spinning was tough. At least I was far enough behind I wasn't in the groups dust cloud, and only Luis can tell the tale of when I was so exhausted I rode into a bush :laugh:

10. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Hans is 3rd pic, 2nd solo rider pictured. Im surprise your camera could focus on Hans or Burt (strava name) as fast as they can move.

Mikie, Poofighter and UPSed like this.
  11. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Oh I haven't finished the ride report yet, I'm getting to your story Ryan! All I gotta say is you got heart man and a great attitude :thumbsup:

12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM

Yeah... I disagree. You weren't that far off the pace and you finished. There was a little detour at the end, but you did all of the hard stuff. If we had done a more social pace from the beginning, you would have been fine.

And don't worry about the crash. I saw a lot of guys take spills yesterday...

MrGreedom, TomF, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Picture Slot Machine! I wouldn't mind seeing this again at some point... :thumbsup:

14. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I saw this and my first thought was I'm in! Curious how overgrown it may be now.

15. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    The Bieber had the pyramid sbacs in his backyard. He moved long ago

Luis likes this.
  16. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Almost as long ago as this post was made? :)

UPSed likes this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?