New Forum Suggestions for "Trailheads"

Discussion in 'Forum Related' started by Mikie, Jun 21, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I think it's pretty easy to figure out where a ride is based on the title. The only ones that ever make me look twice are "Sycamore Canyon" rides, as those could be either the LA or Riverside iteration ;)

I agree with what was mentioned above, that skill + pace are important factors that should be included. Distance and elevation are usually there, but 30 miles at a 14 MPH pace is a lot different than at a 9 MPH one.

Mikie, mtnbikej and DangerDirtyD like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I read all of the Trailhead posts... As well as just about every other post on the forum, and I will continue to do so. I have no life. :p Like Cougar says, however, fragmentation will most likely decrease interactivity. I would fall back to the "new posts" function to see everything new...

As Dean says, we need to reach out to the newbs... My specialty is probably "getting in shape". I'd happily ride with anyone just starting out... Maybe someone who is working up to their first 20 miler, or maybe their first Rwanda ride next year.

kioti, Cougar, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    1.) I pretty much exclude myself from any ride posted here because they are almost all over 4000' of climbing, many well over 5000' I know my current limits. It's OK, I'm not really looking for large group rides anyway. I would rather ride with a few people and get to know them, than be lost in a crowd. I do love crossing paths with the mythological creatures on this site, from jzilla, to Scan to Strand, Faust, Makato, TtB, Kioti, Rox, BeckTrex, Littlewave, Knuckles, Cougar, Danimal, Shawn - so many that I've just bumped into while riding around. Some have turned into regular riding partners, others, regular sparring partners (all in fun, yo).

2.) There needs to be a stern warning if I do choose to attend a ride. I don't want anyone falling over dead from the magnificence (and unlikelihood) of my presence.
    2.a) There also needs to be a lycra alert. we need to know if any male in the group is planning to wear lycra shorts. Mikie...

3.) And this one is serious - please - for the love of trail access and positive MtB imagery among other trail users DO NOT ASSEMBLE LARGE GROUP RIDES IN BUSY COUNTY PARKS ON WEEKEND MORNINGS. Yes - I shouted that. No one wants to have their ride, hike or run interrupted by a train of 10 to 20+ riders.

Peace, love and rides my brothers and sisters!

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Mikie always wears Lycra.

The goal is not necessarily "large" ride groups as it is "others" riding with us. Or, more groups of varying ride levels.

I understand the Pareto Principle that 20% participate and 80% will watch.

Just trying to make it more comfortable for other riders to get into the mix.

mike, Tom the Bomb, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  5. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    On STR I was known (way before my doo-doo RR) for taking new riders around Oaks that have never ridden there. They were always so grateful (well except the guy that crashed on Chutes and got a concussion o_O).

Maybe have a forum that introduces riders to a specific trail?? It'll always be a social pace etc. I, for one, ride more cautiously on a new trail bc I don't know it.

There's my EBike contribution. :thumbsup:

jaime, Tom the Bomb, kioti and 4 others like this.
  6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :rolleyes:Your subliminal powers of suggestion, have NO power over me Jedi Knight!

7. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Dammmitt!!

I'll keep trying - I never give up. ;)

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    By the way, your new avatar totally rox!

Tom the Bomb and ridinrox like this.
  9. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    That was pretty cool to discover that.

I'm not sure if @shawndoh made it that way on purpose but I was touched just the same.

BTW: if you haven't met his wife, she's gorgeous, spirited and an all around good person. He did well. :inlove:

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The importance of this can not be overstated. :whistling:

11. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    With an additional warning if the lycra comes with hairy legs.

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Or pasty chicken legs!

13. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Noooo!* :eek::stop::cry: Downhill pants, please! ;)

*( Not "noon." Is spell check the AI take-over many have warned about?)

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  14. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Jumping in at the tail end here - lots of very good comments, suggestions, advice on how to bring more of us together.
    Having some experience with organizing rides with ALL women, you can never provide enough detail.
    Where - post Geoladders or Strava link or better, a previous ride report with photos
    Level - If it's a beginner or newbie then it's a mandatory no-drop ride. Intermediate or Advanced spell out why it's that level (i.e. Advanced = full faced helmet or?).
    Estimated Duration - group rides always take longer so be prepared to add whatever it usually takes you
    Facilities - water, bathroom, phone reception
    Food - you always have to remind people to bring nutrition. (I posted a Trail Angels ride and one lady, whom I had never met, called me the day before asking me what she should eat for dinner. So you just never know)
    Contact info - email or phone for questions

Slight Derail: I have been wanting to suggest a IMTB Meet-n-Greet at Irvine Regional/Santiago Oaks. The two parks have trails for all levels, beginner through advanced, and it has a zoo and playground for kids or others who do not ride. Ride and bar-b-que afterwards. Any thoughts?

Luis, Tom the Bomb, BeckTrex and 9 others like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

I think it's a great idea... There was a thread awhile back that threw out the same idea, but the location seemed to be the sticky point, as so many of our members are spread out geographically. I don't mind driving for a day of fun, but some guys on here are practically in Canada (@Mikie). :whistling:

16. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Yes! My company will donate $ to the cause. $ to pay for the campsite or donate to buy stuff to feed the group.

Dean

jaime, Tom the Bomb, Andy and 6 others like this.
  17. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Great idea @Mikie. I agree nix the sub forums till you are so big you gotta have em:D It would be great if when I went to post a ride the frame work just popped up and I just filled in the info, very convenient and faster then copy and paste or oops I forgot.
    You guys rock!
    The IMTB Crew is it!!!

mtnbikej, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Um... That's genius. A template that you just complete the details that we think are relevant for every ride posted. And then a narrative description at the end, maybe... Is that possible, oh Forum Guru? @Mikie

Tom the Bomb, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  19. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    johnny b
    Can we get a sub forum for what outfit to wear, ie. Short sleeves, long sleeves, 3/4 sleeves, Lycra or baggies? I kid. Best to keep it simple and not overcomplicate things. Let's help fight carpo tunnel and minimize excessive clicking, yeah? As for getting riders out or group rides, the solution is chics. Chics always get dudes out to ride. Get more chics on the forum and you'll see an influx of members. I remember I would always post rides on STR and get 1-3 riders, but when a chic posts a ride 10-20 will show up.

mike, Tom the Bomb, UPSed and 5 others like this.
  20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm going to talk with @AndyB on this one. I saw an add on called simple forms but more than likely Andy has a way cool way to do something like that.

mike, Tom the Bomb, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Okay...
    Don't destroy my stoke. But I have just added a feature to imtbtrails that I think is pretty cool. You go to Trailheads and the Create a New Post button is now a Ride Invite Button and when you click it, it brings up a real easy form to fill out. When you click submit it creates a new post in Trailheads with all the ride information.

The only bummer right now is if you cut and paste a link into the Previous Ride Reports section it does not come up as a link.
    Right now, if you hit submit and then go hit edit and save, it converts it to a link. Working on that now.

Faust29 likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?