New Forum Suggestions for "Trailheads"

Discussion in 'Forum Related' started by Mikie, Jun 21, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I love my sport. Mountain biking is so much more than pedaling a bike! It's a culture!

One of the things @Tom the Bomb suggested "Forum Related" while riding SART, was that there is GREAT participation by the forum regulars, especially on promoting Trailhead Rides (Great job!).

But if you notice, it's usually the same people (which is also great!). Often doing 20, 30, even 40+ miles on a ride. That can no doubt intimidate some. Or the pace is hot, or the climbing or descent is intense.

But what about new folks? ...or people that are already members that may be a little intimidated of fast groups. imtbtrails is about cycling at all levels. The following is Tom the Bombs suggestion...

How about:
    Under the Trailhead Forum we set up Sub Forums for regions and skill level.
    For example there is an O.C. Forum and within that Forum is Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced.
    (It does not have to be those definitions)

That way a new person or someone of particular skill level can find or post a ride they are comfortable with. The goal is to make available a ride that like minded riders can enjoy together. So for example @mtnbikej would have one maybe two friends....evah!:laugh: Cause the good Lawd KNOWS nobody can ride the mileage "that" guy rides accept maybe 5 people on this site. :sneaky:

I know it may sound complicated but think about it and let's discuss.....

2. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I like the idea. I'd just like to throw out there - pace, in addition to beginner, intermediate and advanced. That way you can have a slow and technical ride, but if anyone wants to walk a section they're not holding up the ride, as opposed to a fast/race pace with no stopping/regroups etc

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    64687427.jpg 56212068.jpg

Sorry.....back onto the thread.

There are going to be Pro's and Con's either way.

It will definitely make finding rides easier.

However it will also divide up the board a little bit more. Why would I bother to look at a Trailhead Thread in the beginners section. Obviously, I have no reason to be in there. Same could be said about beginners reading in the Intermediate/Expert Threads. As it stands now, I read all the Trailhead Threads to see what each one is.

Another issue....Ride Levels. What I consider Intermediate, could be an Expert ride for someone else....etc.

The problem isn't the layout.....the problem is the riders themselves.

People need to be honest with themselves. I noticed it on the SART thread last week. Some riders wanted to join, but were afraid they couldn't keep up.

For example: If you have a hard time doing a lap around Peters Canyon or Whiting Ranch....joining in on any ride over 15 miles is going to be a stretch....and regardless of which Sub Forum it is in...probably not gonna be a ride for you.

Just me $.02

Feel free to discuss.

EDIT: Sorry if this sounds Elitist or Dick'ish....not intended to be that way. :Barefoot:

4. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    ^I agree with this.

I think part of the reason why we see more "advanced/tougher" rides posted up is that those rides are usually more thought out than say what a 10 mile ride through Oaks requires and they are also rides that folks don't want to do solo. Personally I can do a better job at throwing out my weekend ride plans so that others who are looking for the same mileage/climbing/pace can join and I'll finally get to meet some folks from here.

5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Good thoughts and intentions here :thumbsup:

As has been expressed essentially, I think the ride invitations are few enough that subdividing them is (at this point), not great for viewership. Especially considering most ride posters do a pretty good job of describing the level of skill and fitness needed, post specs, etc.

Props to the landlord for pushing for better!

6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The only thing necessary is to put beginner intermediate or advanced in the title or first sentence. List miles and elevation and anyone with any sense will learn.

If you are a newb it's up to you to be honest with yourself and your fellow riders about your fitness and abilities.

7. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    I've noticed that when creating a new thread, there is an option to create a POLL. How about creating a feature where the ride organizer can choose a radio button between beginner, intermediate, advanced, pro, etc. to further help describe the ride. The mileage option can be a range, the pace can be chosen also, and so on. Just a thought.
    Other than that, I like the trailheads section just the way it is. One place, easy to find.

It's true that the usual suspects are posting rides regularly, and for the most part we kind of know who is going to show up when putting a ride together.
    I've been riding long enough that I tend to take some things for granted, so a lot of times my trailhead posts are kind of basic. I tend to assume that riders are familiar with the area. But for more complicated rides, I have to be more descriptive, Palm Canyon for example, can be ridden by an intermediate level rider at a easy pace. But once the pace picks up, it becomes a whole different scenario, and if you weren't warned about all the prickly plants out there and the potential for flats then it can become a sufferfest to say the least.
    Most of the stuff in the San Gabes will involve some exposure, so a forewarning is given so that participants are aware.

Yes, some riders will be hesitant to jump on a ride. I too was a beginner at one time, and I get that some people just are not comfortable with exposure. Or maybe you feel like you don't want to be the last guy in a group ride, I've been there.

When posting rides on the site, post the ride location, meet up time, roll time. Also distance, elevation, pace and bailout options if available. Oh and include the date in your posting title!
    Ok, I'm done rambling... :confused:

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Solid input, Luis.

It sounds like a simple guidelines sticky could be useful.

9. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I think the subforum idea would be worthwhile IF we had a allot of trailhead posts. But for me there are not that many, and I'm probably going to look through all of them anyway, so it would just be more clicks for me to get to see them. Question would be, if there were subforums, would it promote more people to post rides in them? And go on rides? Seems to me as long as the pertinent info is put in the trail head post, (which needs to be done anyway, even if they are put into subforums), it's ok as is.

Also, agree with a few other comments here, my label of beginner or intermediate is going to be different than someone else's. And I want to see these rides taking place in far away places, even outside of the OC :), even if I can't join this time.

@Luis hit on many, but as many details of the ride as possible in the ride posting is best, especially for something I've never done before, so I know what to expect to judge if it's in my realm or not. Some others: elevation the ride takes place at (i.e, if you're starting at 8k and going up to 9), some description of the climb and descent difficulty...i.e steepness and technicalness, how long the ride will take including breaks, maybe temps expected, bugs...etc... more the better, but yeah, we can google some of that if really interested.

Anyway, good ideas here. I don't post enough trail invites but lately been doing rides mostly on very short notice, will try to get better :thumbsup:

10. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    I haven't participated in any group rides so you should probably ignore anything I have to say as irrelevant. :unsure:

That said, I have wanted to go a number of times but things haven't worked out yet. I don't have much familiarity with most of the places people seem to go. I don't know squat about the San Gabes, OC, IE, No. LA, AARP, or any other acronym, so if there isn't the info that Luis has thoughtfully listed ("When posting rides on the site, post the ride location, meet up time, roll time. Also distance, elevation, pace and bailout options if available. Oh and include the date...) I tend to feel a lack of stoke. Catagories like beginner, intermediate, advanced wouldn't hold as much sway with me because I wouldn't necessarily like or not like any ride because of that. Knowing it is a super-epic 60 miler in Brawley in August through cholla and sand pits with 10k of elevation gives me something to go on.

But again, until I earn my place in the lineup, my 2 cents ain't worth a plug nickel.

11. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    So many poastz, so little participation... wha, wha, wha!

Anyhow, I'll keep posting. Summit this Sunday, bitches. :D

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Maybe this is a call out to the lurkers and the fringe members.....step out of your comfort zones and participate.

If a ride looks like it is something you are interested in, but not sure.....ASK A FRIGGIN' QUESTION to the ride organizer. I know, you are shy....get over it. I am probably one of the most introverted people on this forum. We will be honest with you....at least some of us will. None of us wants to blow bullsh!t up yer ass to talk you into and take you on a ride that you are not prepared for...mostly for your own safety.

But you gotta try.....we cannot always hold your hands when we cross the street. At some point, you gotta become a big kid and do it on your own.

13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Not to jump back in too quickly as there are great ideas still flowing in. But @mike 's idea of a sticky combined with other ideas here, I could create a sticky with a simple cut and paste you can grab and post in your Trailhead invite that might remind the OP of some of the vitals for the upcoming ride.

And @mtnbikej is spot on when he mentions a "call out" to lurkers and members that may not feel comfortable on some of the faster bigger rides. I don't think it's healthy for the site to be focused on just big rides or fast paced rides. We as a community, the site should help promote new member rides as well, you never know who that will develop.

I know of a guy on STR that is big on promoting newbie rides on the FLOOP. He has posted them here but with little results.

As well, @shawndoh nails it. We need to get more of the "Shop Rides" advertised on here. Those often are at different levels that are conducive to new riders, riders of less experience, or guys that feel like cruising, or, rides that are for shop experts, etc...

I guess my point is, I'm looking for ways to help get people out on the trail. Sometimes it may be a comfort zone issue, but promoting more all around type rides that would capture more riding abilities and include more riders of all levels.

Potential Sticky Template:

OP, Please cut and paste this in to your Trailhead invite and fill it out to the best of your ability to assist others in deciding if this is a ride they would like to participate in.
    When:
    Where:
    Trailhead Location:
    Suggested Rider Level:
    Mileage:
    Elevation Gain:
    Duration:
    Description:

Thoughts?

14. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Not much to add that hasn’t already been said. Like others I’m going to read all the trailhead postings regardless of whether they are in my area or not or are beginner or expert rides. When possible it might be helpful to post links to prior ride reports showing pics & videos as well as Strava links. I love new dirt & the unknown and I’m game for any kind of ride but I always try to read up so I have some idea of what I’m in for. Main thing for me whether it's a ride I post or just join in on is that everybody enjoys themselves and comes home in one piece.

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Great work, Mike et al.

Love the idea of bailout options being part of the suggested info.

16. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    I don't know if I have ever gone on a group ride with folks on the forum. @mtnbikej and @Faust29 have abused me a few times... but nothing other than that. But I look at the rides every week to see if there is one that works for me. IMHO Keeping it without subheads is key to max exposure... and folks not missing out on rides. If anyone ever wants to ride with me (oh, aren't I special) but doesn't think that they can keep up, or thinks that I will be an anchor for him or her, "reach out and ask" as @mtnbikej says. I will more than likely be stoked to have the company as most of my riding these days is solo (because my friends broke themselves). Sometimes "social pace" is nice.

17. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    You forgot:

E-bike able
    Charging stations available

18. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I appreciate @Tom the Bomb brainstorm. Hehe! The "Lil' Boom Squad" has an interesting ring to it. Everyone here has paid his or her dues and earned advancement in the MTB conga line. I certainly have been twelfth out of 12 in line where the dust is ridiculous and the trail is under "smoke screen" making it harder to navigate. I imagine T-2 experienced that on SART the other day, but only because he is nurturing, not slow by any means.

I agree it is the responsibility of the poster to give details and of the reader to ask for data gaps. If you're too intimidated to participate, you have more important concerns than MTBing with us; try joining a Toastmasters Club.

19. Marty657

Marty657 Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    As an intermediate rider working on my tech skills I think that instead of sub forums the potential sticky is a good idea. However as previously said, new riders, lurkers and fringe members will have to decide if they are truly interested and ask questions. For various reasons I ride solo 90% of the time but do enjoy group rides when the opportunity comes. Having the info suggested on the sticky right up front would prompt me to think about joining or at least inquire. I recently decided to do my first IMTB group ride because it was listed as social event, no one dropped, a few bailouts if needed and I was familiar with the trail, basically what the proposed sticky would cover. My thoughts.

20. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I'll just throw my two cents in; smart people around me in my industry deal with this problem daily, and I can unequivocally say that participation will decrease, not increase, if the Trailhead forum is made more granular through adding subforums.

I think a Sticky post or another method of labeling a ride in the subject line are good suggestions that achieve the desired result from the great feedback from Tom the Bomb; greater participation from everyone due to lowered anxiety of contributing.

21. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Don't fix what ain't broke unless of course you're broken and need an EBike. :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao

22. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Sweet! All my problems are fixed....:p

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  23. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Soon California lead agencies will mandate E-bike charging stations next to E-vehicle charging stations in conjunction with municipal code requirements to have one bike parking stall for every, say, 30 vehicle stalls in an effort to curb greenhouse gas emissions. This is particularly true for logistics warehouses where their operation creates significant and unavoidable impacts to the environment. I mean, why wouldn't people, especially warehouse employees, ride bicycles, I mean E-bikes, to work? I digress. Back to profiling real cyclists...

24. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    If I bought an EBike I would be broke and after seeing the back account balance my wife would make sure I was broken :unsure:

25. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    Some people just can't help themselves and keep e-railing the threads... :)

26. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    I am making light of it Mr. I Am Mr. MTBER! And rossage brought the Ebike subject up, not me.

kioti, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  27. StrandLeper

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    As was I Rox. I read your and @rossage 's posts and laughed so hard I spit water out of my nose and onto my keyboard. It's all good.

kioti, ridinrox, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  28. Thrshr01

Thrshr01 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Tracy
    Current Bike:
    Intense Carbine
    I'm a lurker and n00b. I like the idea of using the template for posting ride info so we get an immediate idea of what's in store. Creating too many "subs" will leave some posts not viewed and clutter the site...

Just .02 cents from a lurker...

29. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    As someone that has put together many rides the ones that I always thought where the best where slacker beginner rides that no one gets dropped. Most of us have riding crews we ride with often and we all know each others skills. It is the newer riders that we need to put our hand out to and show them around. Say what you want negative about STR but in the beginning we put together easy rides for all to come to. Saturday morning fully loop with the major Dino. Thursday night Fully loop with debauchery at Roscoe's afterwards. Tuesdays Taco ride in Irvine. Eight consecutive years camping at Hurkey Creek. Family cookouts and slackers rides in Aliso. Swap meets in Fullerton. Kid A's yearly kids ride at Irvine Lake. That brought people together and many riding crews where formed. But STR was more localized in nature. Much harder when this site takes in most all of So-Cal.

Dean

Tom the Bomb, Marty657, kioti and 7 others like this.
  30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    STR was a GREAT SITE. I truly envy the group events they did. Dean, my only beef was irresponsible ownership and the trolls and nazis that ran wild. There are some amazing people from STR, and they always focused on the newbie riders.
    We have a lot of seasoned riders here, the goal is to blend in the new so they can experience the awesomeness of mountain biking as others have.

Tom the Bomb, Luis, Marty657 and 5 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?