New chain and chainsuck

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by blixet, May 11, 2018.

1. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Old chain, Shimano CN-HG95, got worn, probably left it on way too long. No symptoms riding with it, just very stretched per the measurement tool. Replaced it with new KMC X10.93 supposedly compatible with Shimano, SRAM, etc 10 sp. This is set up 2x10 (34t/22t).

I now have a bit of chainsuck-like noise on the small chainring

Used this same type of new chain as replacement on other bike, but on that one I also replaced the worn chainrings. The chain rings are the same make and model on both bikes although the other is 3x10. This time, the chainrings looked OK so I left the old ones on. Could be the problem.

It only happens under load, when climbing. Not on the flats. And only on the small ring. I can see the chain bouncing around as it is being held on the ring too long. Doesn't happen when shifting. It is just noisy and obviously not right.

Chains seem to measure out the same width wise. Everything is clean, got the heavy grease off and relubed. My thoughts are either the chainrings are worn enough to be a problem even though they don't look it, or the chain just isn't really compatible. I was thinking change the rings first, then maybe go back to a Shimano chain if that doesn't help. Any ideas?

DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.
  2. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ MTB Addict

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    Had the same issue. Replaced chain ring. Noise gone.

Grego, DangerDirtyD, Rumpled and 4 others like this.
  3. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Good to know, thanks.

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Chains/Rings/Cogs were together.......so if you run the chain too long, then you wear out the rings and cogs.

If you would have replaced the chain earlier, you may have been able to use old ring on the new chain without issue.

Grego, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  5. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Pulled the cranks and was able to see the wear more clearly. Bolted on the new chainrings and all is well. Put it through the paces manana. I swear I usually check my chains for stretch every few months, and it was fine at the last check. Then, wham o. Stretched like a 60 yr old hooker's... oops nevermind. :speechless:

doublewide, herzalot, Grego and 7 others like this.