New Bike shop in Oakhurst.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Y-not, Dec 27, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    There is a new (and the only) bike shop that opened up in town across the street from 3 new hotels on the Southern Yosemite Highway (Highway 41) just north of Highway 49. Pedal Forward.
    I went in for a visit to check out the set up. Being open for a couple of months, as expected, it wasn't packed to the rafters with goodies......yet.
    There is a nice mechanics area with workstations for four bikes, and the owners personally work on the bikes.
    They will have rental bikes, shuttle services (007 and beyond), maps of everything up here, and a cold one waiting for you after the ride.
    I want them to suceed, so I am asking each of you to give me the top 5 things you would like to have/see in a bike shop. This information will be passed on to them.

I am no way affiliated with the shop. Just excited that it's open.

2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Operating hours 6pm to 10am for faqs sake! WTF are bike shops thinking with their 10am to 6pm bullshit when adults are busy working and therefore cannot patronize the business.

Mikie, Faust29, Voodoo Tom and 3 others like this.
  3. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Got it. So what adult hours would you be open if it was your shop?

Mikie, Faust29 and mountaingirl sara like this.
  4. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Non judgmental employees that DO NOT ignore you unless they recognize your face(wallet). I rarely go into LBS's anymore and just about whenever I do the employees look at me like I am an alien of some sort (that may be true). Never do they approach, it's always the customer having to seek out an employee. basically just good customer service would be nice.

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    4 am til midnight sounds about right for the IMTB crew.

One of my local LBSs isn't open on Sundays though, and that's kinda dumb for a bike shop in my opinion.

6. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    9am to 7pm with typical sales and repair staff, and then a 6pm to 2am shift and 2am to 10am shift, each with one mechanic who can work on the backlog when there are no customers and otherwise charge a premium for parts and immediate service for when someone walks into the store during graveyard shift. The reduced backlog is clutch, as would be brake pads and new cables at midnight the night before a big ride when you go over your bike and realize your pads are shot and/or derailleur cable frayed, etc.

The details can be dialed in response to demand. Regardless of how many people need support in the middle of the night (I do just as often as I do during the day), chipping away at the backlog would make the business model feasible.

Mikie and pperrelle like this.
  7. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    A vending machine outside, with the little things we find out we need at 9pm the night before an early ride.

or stay open til 10...

8. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I always break my ride at night, then look at the clock, "sheet" its after 7, shop is closed. No parts till after work. the rig could be down two days, argh
    Happy lonesome cries of the night rider in the purple sage

Mikie, herzalot and pperrelle like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Say what you will about Performance Bike.....but at least they were open til 9:00 during the week.

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  10. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Yep, I made many a trip to the marketplace location when I lived up in Tustin when I was in the middle of after work maintenance and figured out that I needed a quick part.

And I agree with @herzalot , I never could figure out why a lot of bike shops are closed on Sundays when that’s when a large percentage of customers are able to shop.

As for what I’d like to see in a local bike shop, a decent selection of the normal consumables, chains, tires, grips, cables, chain lube, etc. would be good. Also shop rides or at least good local trail knowledge would be a plus.

Mikie, UPSed, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  11. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    And a good selection of Red Ales or Porters would bring in more riders :sneaky:

Mikie, Voodoo Tom and mtnbikej like this.
  12. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I'm sure there are a few local brews in the fridge.....

Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  13. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    They started to have shop rides. I think they will be posting them on the web site.
    There are enough of all skill level of riders up here, that can show you the trails.
    I will let them know about the consumables that should be in stock.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  14. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I do know they live in the area. I would have an "emergency" phone number for late night needs.
    It would suck to come up for a weekend and not be able to get some parts you need and not be able to ride.........This happened to me, staying in Bass Lake, I broke my chain and damaged my derailer and no bike shops were opened. Ruined my entire time....

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  15. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Thank yall for the comments.
    Keep them comming. I will ask them to make thier web site a wealth of information for anybody wanting to explore the awesomeness up here.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  16. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Coates Cyclery in Pomona had a vending machine full of parts behind a very narrow-slot steel cage outside their doors for "after-hour" DIY support. I thought it was a great idea, but the shop went out of business in 2017 after 83 years in business.

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, tick and 2 others like this.
  17. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/g20034647/bike-technology/

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  18. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Mikie, tick and Cyclotourist like this.
  19. senderos_949

senderos_949 Member

Name:
    Randy Morris
    Current Bike:
    Marin Mt Vision Pro
    One thing I do like about The Path shop (Tustin) is that they respond quickly to texts - I typically text to inquire if they have what I want in stock and their price. Seems more efficient (for both parties) than waiting on hold while "someone looks in the back".

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I concur. I often text. They respond within minutes. Saves me a lot of time.

21. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    My mom got me a Schwinn Orange Crate from Coates back in the early 70s. That bike weighed more than I did. But the 5 speed shifter on the top tube, Springer fork and shocks on the banana seat were way cool.
    Shopped there many times, Coates was only a few blocks from me as a kid.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?