New Bike - Pike RCT3 - Compression Mode Adjuster Knob is Loose

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by no worries, Sep 7, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    Seems to behave normally, but there is enough play that the knob rattles between the LSC knob and top cap.
    Can I just remove the LSC cap and then tighten the Adjuster Knob? (and then re-install the LSC knob)
    Any trick to it? Any position those two knobs need to be in when you tighten?
    Thanks!

upload_2019-9-7_10-41-23.png

Danmtchl likes this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Ive got this going on with my Fox fork. Had it serviced and the serviceman added a little bit of silicone sealant to act as a vibration buffer.

You checked to make sure that the little bolt on top is tight, yes?

Danmtchl and Danimal like this.
  3. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
  4. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    Yeah the little bolt is tight, which is why the LSC is nice and snug. But that manual implies that the compression ring has its own bolt beneath the LSC that should have been tightened before. If that's where the play is coming from. I guess if I take off the LSC and that bolt is already tight, then I'll need to take it down to YT for warranty.

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    And Y isn't your new YT posted under the New Bike Day thread?

no worries and Danmtchl like this.
  6. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    So after taking it apart, I'm pretty sure my low speed adjuster knob is missing some sort of o-ring on the bottom side.

The compression mode selector below the LSC adjuster just sits loosely around the top cap. It is up to the LSC adjuster to press it down tight. But when I tighten down the LSC adjuster, there is still some play beneath it. The LSC is tight against it's base, but not against the the compression mode selector. That all sounds confusing, sorry. But flipping the LSC adjuster over, there is a thin indentation along the edge that looks like it might be missing a rubber edge. This would press down on the mode selector and keep it snug.

I'm now scouring google for a photo of the bottom side of the LSC knob, to no avail. I guess I'll just pull mine off and take it down to the nearest high end bike shop and see if they have a bike in stock with a new Pike RTC3 and we can compare.

7. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    Ok, think I found it. Although the exploded diagram in the manual didn't show rings, the spare parts catalog does show one:

https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/rockshox_spc_-_rev_f_0.pdf

which has a replacement knob package available like this:

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pr...3-crown-knob-kit-for-lyrik-rct3-and-pike-rct3

which features two o-rings that my fork definitely doesn't have. How strange!

I shouldn't have to buy this replacement package right? Just contact YT?

Also, I'm loving this freaking bike and will post a thread about it in the new bike forum very soon!

upload_2019-9-7_22-7-47.png

herzalot likes this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?